Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newfound hatred for windows 8

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post

Have currently got Linux Mint 9 on a second machine... On the whole i am slowly getting used to it, a couple of gripes, i have tried bloody everything to get flash to install in Firefox, spent all day faffing around, but with no luck. And the other thing i am struggling with is getting used to using the command terminal
    I can help with both, in one solution.

In a terminal, enter this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mint-flashplugin
    That should install Flash, and give you some experience with the Linux terminal (command line is a Windows term). You can also install programs using the Synaptic Package Manager GUI, found in Administration--> Synaptic Package Manager. If for some reason it isn't installed, then install it via the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic

Comment

Originally posted by Time2Retire View Post
      I can help with both, in one solution.

In a terminal, enter this:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Then this:
      Code:
      That should install Flash, and give you some experience with the Linux terminal (command line is a Windows term). You can also install programs using the Synaptic Package Manager GUI, found in Administration--> Synaptic Package Manager. If for some reason it isn't installed, then install it via the terminal:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      Thanks for the response, but neither of those ideas worked. Using the Terminal
      Code:
      I just get an error message saying it could not find package mint-flashplugin.

Using the Synaptic Package Manager GUI it says it's installed it, but i still cannot get flash to work in Firefox. Firefox says that the Adobe Flash Plugin is installed, but it simply will not work, go to youtube and all i get is a blank space where the video should be.

I have been to adobe's website site and followed the download and install instructions exactly like they say, but still nothing.

I have a feeling it is a problem within the settings of Firefox, if i look within the Firefox preferences/Applications it says it is using the Gecko-Media Player for flash. If i try to change it to use the flash plugin it will not retain the setting, it simply defaults straight back to the Gecko player.

I am about to give up with it, have spent many many hours now trying to get it to work. But thanks for your suggestions. If i do want to persevere with it i might open up a thread dedicated to the problem, rather than hijack this IE8 thread any further.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
        Thanks for the response, but neither of those ideas worked. Using the Terminal
        Code:
        I just get an error message saying it could not find package mint-flashplugin.

Using the Synaptic Package Manager GUI it says it's installed it, but i still cannot get flash to work in Firefox. Firefox says that the Adobe Flash Plugin is installed, but it simply will not work, go to youtube and all i get is a blank space where the video should be.

I have been to adobe's website site and followed the download and install instructions exactly like they say, but still nothing.

I have a feeling it is a problem within the settings of Firefox, if i look within the Firefox preferences/Applications it says it is using the Gecko-Media Player for flash. If i try to change it to use the flash plugin it will not retain the setting, it simply defaults straight back to the Gecko player.

I am about to give up with it, have spent many many hours now trying to get it to work. But thanks for your suggestions.
        Not sure why it doesn't work, maybe different versions of Mint. In my Firefox Preferences/Applications, when I search for flash I get this:

Flashvideo --> Use mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.4 (in Firefox)
        Shockwave Flash file --> Use Shockwave Flash (in Firefox)
        Spl file --> Use Shockwave Flash (in Firefox)

You can make sure the Shockwave Flash player is installed, in Tools -->Add-ons/Plugins. Also using apt, try specifying the flash version:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install mint-flashplugin-11
        Otherwise, completely uninstalling all affected things, and force it to redownload and reinstall (use Synaptic with the option to "Mark for complete removal".
        If i do want to persevere with it i might open up a thread dedicated to the problem, rather than hijack this IE8 thread any further.
        Agree. In fact, I'm surprised that no one has complained about it yet.

Comment

Have fun :

Comment

Still not a fan

Comment

Ill cross post something I posted on another site..
              Of course they are. I dont mind learning new things, but it feels like...its made intentionally difficult? I know thats not right..

So, I went an used it. I fired it up in VMWare again. Release Preview, btw.
              Some things aren't intuitive is an understatement.
              First thing was, the network wasnt connected, so I went to try to investigate.
              I hovered over the right side to try to bring up the thing. After I got it to cooperate I hit 'Settings' then 'Network'.
              I get there and see 'Network Limited' I click it and it bumps. The line of text and icon representing the connection get smaller for a split second, but otherwise nothing happens.
              I'm Going, "What? Then what is this #%$#$ even for?"
              I right click and get, 'Turn Sharing On or Off'? Thats it?
              Now Im starting to overheat, "So, pretty much this whole menu is a worthless sack of #@#%#%^%@?"
              So I attempt to go back and hit the word 'Networks' which is next to the back arrow. Actually, I didnt even read the actual word. Im just used to words next to a button being part of the button and thought it would bring me back. It of course did nothing, which only aggravated me further.
              Once I read it though, I found it redundant. Its placement next to the back arrow makes me think it should indeed bring me back to Settings, but then again, Im in Networks right now. Then, right under that, it says 'Connections'? Isnt that the same thing? Why not have 'Settings' next to the back arrow, and under it 'Networks' like a tree? So you know you are in 'Networks' and back is 'Settings', which is above it in the tree.
              After I figured out you have to actually hit the back button, I hit 'Change PC Settings' at the bottom. Network configuration is a PC setting, right?
              I went through the ENTIRE thing and found NOTHING relating to network settings. In addition to that, when I accidentally hit 'HomeGroup' the thing softlocked for about 20-30 seconds; completely unresponsive save for a moving mouse and the spinning 'IM BUSY!' in place of the cursor.
              Now Im HOT and feel like my head is going to pop; "You @#$@##^ worthless !@#!!, !@#@#, !@@!@$@"
              One last thing to try; I hit WinKey and 'Desktop'
              I bring up the right sidebar, which LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT DID ON METRO.
              Hit 'Settings', which LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT DID ON METRO.
              OH WAIT, IT DOESNT!
              Now it has 'Control Panel' at the top. FINALLY WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE!
              From there Im easily able to get to the right area to fix the problem.
              Why are there three places that it looks like I could fix the network problem from, but only one of them bears fruit? Its something I now know, so I learned how to get there. But why is it so difficult? Now that I think about it, I think I went through this before; Im having a serious case of deja vu, here.
              Why take such effort to hide essential adjustment mechanisms? Why doesn't the 'Settings' menu under Metro have 'Control Panel' on it as well? It could simply pop you to Desktop and bring it up. What is 'PC Settings' for? It appears to have many things that were once a part of Control Panel in older variants of Windows. Except its broken off into this new fancy menu design and called something that makes me think I can fix the network settings. However, 'Network Settings' != 'PC Settings' Right.

My favorite Linux Distro is Gentoo. Im no stranger to difficulty. I dont know how much you know about Linux, but Gentoo is pretty DIY. Meaning, it does not have an installer. When you boot the install disc, it drops you to a shell and you have to install it pretty much manually by typing all the commands to partition, format, mount, download and untar the stage3, which is a stripped down Linux install, download and compile the kernel, install that and on and on and on.
              It takes some work to install it, and maintain it, but I feel the pay off is worth it as the resulting machine is tailored for the programs and stuff that I want to run with no extra stuff that I dont use.

With Win8 Im like a dog chasing my tail, a lot of work for no pay off.
              It feels like they were developing two versions of Win8, one for tablet and other for PC. At some point, later in the production cycle, somepony decided to merge them together in this cobbled together mess. The 'PC Settings' is supposed to be the dumbed down menu on tablets. It has pretty much nothing that I care about in it.

So, pretty much, landfill material.

Comment

Re: The hate never ends

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                As if Windows 8 wasn't bad enough already...
                One of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users is that the product's very name has become a misnomer. "Windows" no longer supports multiple windows on the screen. Win8 does have an option to temporarily show a second area in a small part of the screen, but none of our test users were able to make this work. Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window."
                I'll be skipping windows 8 entirely. A desktop-based start menu is completely counter-intuitive to my ADHD multitasking. I make heavy use of the start button and taskbar, and hardly ever see my wallpaper. And this "one program at a time" is full of WTF. I didn't build this computer to only be able to do one thing at a time.

If Microsoft follows their usual pattern, Windows 9 should be awesome
                Last edited by Blargh523; 12-30-2012, 07:59 AM.

Comment

ROFLMAO!

What a great "Animated Evaluation".
                  Warning! do NOT watch that video while drinking or eating anything!

Thank you for explaining the four "C's, or CCCC.

So far as I'm concerned, MS has never gotten it "Right" on all 4 "C"s at the same time.
                  And now they're blowing off all four at once!

It'll be another Vista, which propelled Mac from 1-3% of computers up to 13%... and climbing!

Before you know it, it'll be M$ at a well-deserved 1-3% of the market with Linux/Unix and Mac OSX dominating the market.

Just wait until a major player like Dell or HP cooks up a UNIX OS like Apple did... That'll be Game Over for M$.
                  With crap like this coming out of M$, Dell and HP have got to be scrambling for "Plan B".

Although the entire video was Epic in every way, I got a huge giggle out of their ripoff of "Launchpad".

So as a Mac Enthusiast, I'd like to congratulate Microsoft on their wonderful new OS. They should go right ahead and keep trying to ripoff MacOS as they've been doing since the '90s.

Last edited by KeriJane; 12-30-2012, 10:52 AM.
                  The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Mac OS X is even less efficient in my opinion.
                    Sure, it's only my opinion,
                    but I grew up on a Mac, my first computer was a Mac (iMac G4)...
                    Yet, once I got a MacBook (Intel Core 2 Duo 2007) I sold it, and bought a PC laptop. I've been using Windows ever since.
                    Just two days ago I sold a 2006 Mac Pro with 2x Dual Core Intel Xeon 5150 CPUs and 6GB RAM, with a 20" screen, on Craigslist for $750. I did a clean install of Mac OS X 10.6 and played with it a bit, just to make sure I really wanted to sell it. I was constantly frustrated, more frustrated than I get with Windows 8

I can't believe the guy would buy a 6-year-old computer. But he did. I'm just sad that my new PC won't be able to sell for $750 in 6 years. LOL

Short version: Mac OS X is even worse than Windows 8.

Comment

How can anybody think that Windows 8 is actually a good OS? "Wow, this works just like my iPhone! This is great! Why does anybody need a keyboard?"

I'm waiting for computers that don't come with a keyboard and mouse so all of the people who are "idiots" because they have jobs or go to school will have to buy a separate keyboard. There are already touchpads for desktop computers. What's next?

I hope Windows 7 will still be available when I need a new computer. Maybe someone will make a good free replacement for Microsoft Office so I can use Linux. If not, I'm getting a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                        I'm waiting for computers that don't come with a keyboard and mouse so all of the people who are "idiots" because they have jobs or go to school will have to buy a separate keyboard.
                        Such a thing already exists and is ever-so popular amongst the useless gadget crowd, and they're called tablet PC's.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

I'm not one to defend Windows 8 but that "animated review" of Windows 8 was just pure crap.
                          I wanted to beat some sense into the guy, he can't be that computer illiterate?

For example in the beginning he is whining about the pictures not showing up, but if you have the patience to watch it through you will see that the pictures (screenshots) he took is actually of the Metro interface.
                          And it is the first damn thing shown when he goes into the picture viewer.

Either he is a big troll or just a complete moron.
                          When I watched the second part I just wanted to beat some sense into him, he sounds like a little kid that can't figure out how to tie his shoe laces
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            Such a thing already exists and is ever-so popular amongst the useless gadget crowd, and they're called tablet PC's.
                            Yes, but I was talking about full-size desktop computers. There are a few giant tablets with 22" screens already, and hopefully nobody tries to sell those as desktop computer replacements.

Comment

Classic thread. Only experimented with Windows 8 (Release Preview) on an abused Seagate Momentus 320GB HDD with ~430 reallocated sectors, and left it alone since, then finally formatted the drive. Though faster than my Windows 7 install, the changes within that OS made me go "lol no."

However, Mom's old Vista laptop finally died recently and had to buy a new one. Despite me telling her that Windows 8 is vastly different from even Windows 7, she got a Win8 laptop. Then she said to me: "This is a large learning curve for me." Oh, really? That, and she has to deal with bleeding-edge bugs, another reason why I usually wait at least one year before dealing with newer operating systems.

I then installed ViStart 8 on her laptop.

Though, regarding Vista (off-topic):

Installed Toy Story 2 on someone's Windows Vista laptop, and the game sped up like crazy (akin to running a very old game on a modern PC), with no compatibility changes, and used hardware mode/max settings on the game. Mind you, this is a dual-core laptop. This was during the time I was installing various games for someone and after I replaced the hard drive and installed the operating system and drivers.
                              ---
                              On my current laptop (dual-core, of course), which runs Windows 7, installed the same copy of Toy Story 2. The game ran normally, with no compatibility changes, and used hardware mode/max settings on the game. My younger sis, upon hearing this, said the following: "It's official: Windows Vista is evil. xD"

For the record, Toy Story 2 primarily runs on Direct3D.

Seeing all this and other stories with modern computers, I'm glad I have my old-school desktop computers.
                              Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                              I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                I'm not one to defend Windows 8 but that "animated review" of Windows 8 was just pure crap ...
                                Ok, here goes another one whose seriousness is au pair with the OS in question :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ1oPDtdhFo

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                                  Ok, here goes another one whose seriousness is au pair with the OS in question :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ1oPDtdhFo
                                  Now that's more like it!
                                  Easy to listen to voice and great information to boot!
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                    Now that's more like it!
                                    Easy to listen to voice and great information to boot!
                                    Ahhh.... Music to my spoiled-by-Apple ears!

It's reminiscent of Blimp TV's Vista Sucks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOh6Nh8w6f8

Keep it up Mr. Balmer, you're doing GREAT!
                                    You're bound to Wipe Apple From The Face Of The Earth,
                                    just like you did with with Zune!

Why not have a Funeral for Mountain Lion like you did for the iPhone and Blackberry?
                                    http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/10/m...al-parade-for/

Or maybe force the Win8 team to dance to Thriller like the WP7 team?
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQTemf043tw

Comment

Talking about good commercials I like the bleeped version of the Win7 launch party
                                      http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/24/v...eeping-genius/

And yea, that Vista commercial, "We combined Windows CE, Windows ME & Windows NT; bringing you Windows CEMENT, sinking employer morale like never before"
                                      First time I saw that I laughed so hard I thought my kidneys would blow

Comment

I just unscrewed myself with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB3upQyjJ0E

Guess KeriJane will like this other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69RllXjCL6o&hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                                          I just unscrewed myself with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB3upQyjJ0E

Guess KeriJane will like this other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69RllXjCL6o&hl=en

I knew it!

Hitler Escaped, Survived, Regained His Youth and Founded Microsoft!

And here I thought that he might have moved to Japan and started designing Expensive Foreign Luxury Cars.

Maybe he did both?

Just like Santa Clause, Hitler has been awfully busy!

Comment

Working...
                                          X