LED Backlight circuit in ASUS VivoBook F510UA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Backlight circuit in ASUS VivoBook F510UA

I am trying to repair my daughter's ASUS laptop ASUS Vivobook F510UA-AH51 (full HD). I have the boardview but no schematic for the MB (X510UAR?). Forum search indicates that schematics is not available.

Apparently, the LED backlight power circuit burned out, probably due to a short either inside the broken screen/cable OR when plugging/unplugging the cable. The laptop was powered down but the battery was not unplugged from the MB when it was messed with.

It is potentially a simple problem to fix by just soldering on new components L4506, SL4505, C4575 -- see the photo of MB and the boardview screenshot with my edits. I don't know component specs that I need to replace. Here is what I see in boardview
    L4506 FERRITE BEAD(0805 80Ohm/3A/MAXECHO/ACMS201209 A800
    SL4505 ???
    C4575 - (it doesn't look it was there, but it won't hurt)

Perhaps there is an analogous laptop MB with LED-backlit screen? I doubt that exact specs are cricital to functioning, since their job is only to protect the MB from overcurrent and perhaps filter out the flicker.

Any help and advice? Many thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: LED Backlight circuit in ASUS VivoBook F510UA

C4575 was not populated on the board so no need to worry about it.
    SL4505 is a jumper, just a trace on the PCB on this board, no component to put there.
    L4506 is indeed a ferrite bead, if you have donor boards you may be able to find something similar, it needs to be around 3A, the other characteristics matter less (well better have the correct package 0805 so that it fits properly).

Since part of the trace and the pad are gone you may have to solder L4506 diagonally or run a jumper wire.

Note that there is some burnt PCB material, make sure you clean it properly and if there's still some carbonized stuff it has to be scraped off since it is conductive.
    Last edited by piernov; 08-03-2020, 11:45 AM.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

u can just jump it. its 19V so u dont need coil to smooth voltage like in step-down circuit

Comment

And next time there is a short let's place bets on what's gonna catch fire... Also it's for EMI.

Comment

many thanks!
          interestingly, the board view has the component specs for those present on the actual MB, but has not for those that are missing
          will this ferrite bead[digikey] work?

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
            And next time there is a short let's place bets on what's gonna catch fire... Also it's for EMI.
            it will be not if he doont let battery in

Comment

Originally posted by JkqY View Post
              many thanks!
              interestingly, the board view has the component specs for those present on the actual MB, but has not for those that are missing
              Indeed often the case on Asus FZ boardview
              Originally posted by JkqY View Post
              Yep looks ok

Comment

Working...
              X