Newfound hatred for windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newfound hatred for windows 8

Windows 8's metro interface is perfectly suited so small screens like those on tablets and netbooks, right? Wrong! I discovered at work on a customer's netbook that if the screen res is any lower than 1024x768 (this netbook was 1024x600), the no metro apps will run (unless you do some registry hacks and increse your res beyond the natine and distort the image). So, it looks like Windows Hate isn't suited to big desktop screens or small tablet/phone screens. So what is it suited to?
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: Newfound hatred for windows 8

All tablets have more resolution than a netbook. And nobody buys netbooks any more stop complaining about Windows 8 :P

Comment

PS: phones run windows phone 8 not windows 8

Comment

windows 8 looks like it was made by a 3yr old for a 3yr old.....it will be a disaster worse than vista and ME combined. Maybe now MS will get rid of that asshole steve ballmer. Hes driven MS right into the ground.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          windows 8 looks like it was made by a 3yr old for a 3yr old.....it will be a disaster worse than vista and ME combined. Maybe now MS will get rid of that asshole steve ballmer. Hes driven MS right into the ground.
          Let's agree to disagree. I love it and find Windows 8 to be faster and more efficient to use than any other version of Windows (including XP)

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Let's agree to disagree. I love it and find Windows 8 to be faster and more efficient to use than any other version of Windows (including XP)
            You are the first person to ever say they liked it....lol... that won't be enough to keep it afloat.... Trainwreck ahead for MS!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

We are a dying breed Topcat, I wrote this editorial a few days ago and received nice comments about it on Techspot, on Neowin however I was just titled as "insanely stupid"
              I guess I really am becoming too old to swallow the crap being forced down my throat....

http://www.techspot.com/article/596-...retrogression/
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Well its not crap if I can work more efficiently in my opinion.

Example, I simply cannot work efficiently on mac os x, while many people love it.
                Last edited by shovenose; 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

...I love it and find Windows 8 to be faster and more efficient to use than any other version of Windows (including XP)
                  Maybe, but it's soooooooo UGLY! Even windows 95 was somewhat better looking.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    Maybe, but it's soooooooo UGLY! Even windows 95 was somewhat better looking.
                    that is pure opinion.
                    Windows 8 has the Improved nt 6.2 kernel = fact
                    windows 8 is ugly = personal opinion .
                    and i personally think it looks very pleasing.

Comment

that is pure opinion.
                      Windows 8 has the Improved nt 6.2 kernel = fact
                      Zipety doo dah....the NT5 kernel is just as stable..... Its gonna do a big bellyflop. Win7 was just starting to take hold and they blow this premature ejaculation known as 8 out....its not going to do well. Win7 is a LOOONG way from end of support and end of life. There were dorks that liked ME and Vista as well....but they both still crashed and burned too...8 will follow suit.

Per, nice article.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I just got seven on my laptop. Seems okay so far. Not too much different from XP. Just picked up a copy for the desktop but not installed yet. I have no desire to get 8 from the little bit I have seen so far. Just personal opinion. I also have been accused of being stuck in the seventies as well. So take with a grain of salt.

Regards,

Ron.
                        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Windows 8 was pointless IMO as well. You got Windows 7 now, which pretty much does what XP does but with a more flashy interface and better support for new software and games. That all aside, the average home user / office worker doesn't really need anything more than a Pentium 4 for work... IMO.

Well its not crap if I can work more efficiently in my opinion.
                          Care to share how you work more efficiently?

Comment

Most of what makes Metro any better in terms of productivity I can get for free in the form of gnome shell. Actually, IMHO, gnome shell is way better than Metro... But then again, I've been using it since gnome 3 came out.

To be honest, W7 is 2nd best after GS... Xp's interface is 3rd. In my book, that is.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              Most of what makes Metro any better in terms of productivity I can get for free in the form of gnome shell. Actually, IMHO, gnome shell is way better than Metro... But then again, I've been using it since gnome 3 came out.

To be honest, W7 is 2nd best after GS... Xp's interface is 3rd. In my book, that is.
                              Linux does not count. Why would anybody whine about Windows 8 not being good (which I disagree with anyway).
                              I tried putting Ubuntu 12.10 on my desktop 3 days ago. It did not work!!

Linux is awesome, for servers. For desktop or laptop, what a joke. It's not good for people who rely on their computer to work

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

It's not called Metro anymore :P

Comment

Linux is awesome, for servers. For desktop or laptop, what a joke. It's not good for people who rely on their computer to work
                                  That is just plain false. It depends on what you do with your system. For an emailing web browser, linux can be wonderful! ...and the vast majority of PC users out there do nothing more than web browse and email.....

Linux is king for servers. I've run datacenters with both linux and windows systems, always had less trouble and security issues with the linux ones.... FWIW, the first 7 years of badcaps.net was hosted from a win2k server.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

I have to use Windows 8 on my work computer. Everything works, and it's pretty fast but I just don't like it that much....I hardly ever use the "Start menu" for anything except to search for stuff. Windows 7 is perfect for me I think I'm going to stick to that for a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      That is just plain false. It depends on what you do with your system. For an emailing web browser, linux can be wonderful! ...and the vast majority of PC users out there do nothing more than web browse and email.....

Linux is king for servers. I've run datacenters with both linux and windows systems, always had less trouble and security issues with the linux ones.... FWIW, the first 7 years of badcaps.net was hosted from a win2k server.
                                      Ouch Windows Server is pretty bad for standard web stuff (PHP, Apache, etc.) I guess it's fine for IIS/ASP.NET but I never had any desire to use it.

Comment

For desktop or laptop, what a joke. It's not good for people who rely on their computer to work
                                        I also disagree on that one. I have openSUSE on my freebie laptop, and it's perfectly fine as a word processor and a web browser, even for a less computer literate user.

Comment

Working...
                                        X