Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

Finally... I have a final list of specs and part sources for my next personal workstation build.

here's a part list:

From V3, I am resuing:

-Supermicro EATX case
    -Seasonic 600W PSU (may upgrade eventually, as 600W is kinda on the edge for what I'm doing)
    -2x AMD Opteron 285, 2.6Ghz dual core
    -16gb Kingston ECC DDR400
    -4x 73gb 10K WD raptors, w/ 3ware 9500s-4lp+BBU, RAID 0
    -Mitsumi Floppy/card reader combo, firmware upgraded for SDHC (may swap to a dedicated reader w/usb port if the floppy proves useless)
    -Hauppauge HVR-1600 (currently in a repurposed V2, will be pulled for the build)

From stuff I had sitting:

-Liteon DVD-RW, SATA. yes, brethin, this is the drive you traded me ages ago... it's being pulled from a HP D530
    -LG PATA DVD-RW: Found the other day at a goodwill for $4, I may use it elesewhere.
    - Regarding opticals, the future goal will be a DVD burner and a BD drive of some sort, both SATA, and at least one having lightscribe (since I have a buttload of lightscribe DVD+R's, got 60 for $9)

-2x 120mm Arctic F12 CO PWM 2BB fans: I ended up buying 3 after I messed up and broke one

-2x Stock AMD 940 coolers with 5k PWM fans added- combo of some spare coolers and the original fans from V2's 604 HP coolers. Very short wires, hopefully they'll reach .

Sourced from other members:

-Tyan S2895 Thunder K8WE w/SCSI and universal (flex) SLI bridge: gg1978 happens to both have one, is willing to sell it, and lives not far off a travel route I take almost every weekend. I'll hopefully be picking it up this coming friday...

-2x Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT(s?), SLI'd- Bought of brethin after negotiating a decent price... I was going to get 9600's but given the relative difficulty of sourcing 9600's at a comparable price (Would have been about 30% more expensive on ebay, and only if I sniped my ass off). I've in the meantime redone the thermal compound/pads and cleaned the dust bunnies out of the heatsink on both cards.

The reason I'm not sure if it's a GT or GTS is the chip's model no. shows as a GTS chip but Brethin told me they were GT. The cards have generic Nvidia branding, so no indication there. Based off google image searching, I actually think the cards are indeed GTS given image searching:

GTS: http://videocards.productwiki.com/nv...orce-8600-gts/ (mine looks like this one)

GT: http://videocards.productwiki.com/nv...force-8600-gt/ (mine doesn't look like that)

It also has nothing but poly caps... so no recap required.

And FYI, I didn't go for an 8800 GTS or two becuase of power draw, cooling, and reliability issues ( I already have one 8800 GTS 640mb in the junk bin, failed reflow, also takes 2 slots). These cards only use one slot, so combined with my case's mesh bracket fillers (lots of airflow cutouts), the fact there is only one slot between the cards shouldn't be an issue.

OS wise, I'm going to run 7 x64... I've read of people getting it to work no problems... The SLI may be the only hiccup, as I've never set it up before... to those that have, is it fully HW, or is there a separate driver/SW setting to make it run? Is it part of the GPU driver, chipset driver, or a driver all it's own?

I've attached a PSU calc. report of the build... I think my 600W will cut it... I think.

Comments or questions? (Any "you shouldn't build workstations, buy a celeron instead" posts will be deleted, please be constructive).
    Attached Files
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

SLI is simply a setting in the nVidia control panel; as long as you've got two identical cards and sli bridge installed... just to clarify that

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      SLI is simply a setting in the nVidia control panel; as long as you've got two identical cards and sli bridge installed... just to clarify that
      Whew. Relief (since there is no nvidia-released win 7 driver for the chipset, as that's pre-loaded in 7)
      sigpic

Comment

Well, the motherboard does have to be SLI-capable but I think that's a hardware thing not a software thing. I think you're fine.

Comment

They are 8600 GTS not 8600 GT as I stated in the forsale thread.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29474

GTS > GT IMO. You got a good deal and I was happy they went somewhere they would be used.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Well, the motherboard does have to be SLI-capable but I think that's a hardware thing not a software thing. I think you're fine.
            Sure is. One of the platform's selling points actually.

To those playing at home: Topcat used to have this model mobo as his main rig:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=polyfuse

He SLI'd a pair of 7600GT's...
            sigpic

Comment

I agree 8800 GT or GTS would have been power hogs for you. The 8600 GTS in SLI will do all you need it to do on this rig v3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                I agree 8800 GT or GTS would have been power hogs for you. The 8600 GTS in SLI will do all you need it to do on this rig v3.5.
                My thoughts exactly.

I remember what a power hog and BGA killer the 8800 GTS of doom was. I still have it in a desk drawer.... looks pretty and smells good (never did get all the rosin paste flux off it from the reflow), that's all you can say for it. Literally a paperweight (and a good one due to the massive heatsink )

They are 8600 GTS not 8600 GT as I stated in the forsale thread.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29474

GTS > GT IMO. You got a good deal and I was happy they went somewhere they would be used.
                Sure is. Thank you sir for confirming the model and for doing good business.

The GT was actually the equiv. of a 7600GS in the mainstream lineup... The GTS being the new GT. (but cost wise, a 7900 GS at launch )

My only worry was power consumption... but as I found out, it's not a major issue as the old setup apparently drew about the same amount (recommended PSU in the high 500's)
                Last edited by ratdude747; 07-02-2013, 12:55 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

If you find the 8600 GTS's not doing what you need I do have 2 8800 Alpha Dog GT's (tested in SLI) and a 750w HP (Made by Delta) PSU that will give you all the power you need. I can't just do a swap but I will give you full credit for the 8600's if you want to upgrade.

Comment

I hate to piss all over this thread...but there will be some quirk with some driver or something that will fuck things up. Always is with the rigs you build. 'Workstation' and 'budget' rarely go together. But good luck, I might be wrong, hope I am
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      I hate to piss all over this thread...but there will be some quirk with some driver or something that will fuck things up. Always is with the rigs you build. 'Workstation' and 'budget' rarely go together. But good luck, I might be wrong, hope I am
                      The only issue I had with V2.5 was getting 8gb of RAM to be utilizeable under 7 x32... which once worked around was a treat.
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 07-02-2013, 04:01 AM. Reason: Moron here wrote "x64". Not happening on Gallatin Xeons!
                      sigpic

Comment

If you find the 8600 GTS's not doing what you need I do have 2 8800 Alpha Dog GT's (tested in SLI) and a 750w HP (Made by Delta) PSU that will give you all the power you need. I can't just do a swap but I will give you full credit for the 8600's if you want to upgrade.
                        I doubt that will be an issue.

Not sure I even want 8800's... Part of it is the fact my two pci-e Slots have only one slot separating them. Given how critical cooling is to the 8800 (as I found out with my 8800 GTS), and that they take two slot's of space, It's IMHO too close to run well. However, the 8600 GTS only takes up one slot, which leaves a slot under the upper card which can be free space for the cooler to breathe... and with my heavily vented bracket fillers, it will also make a good exhaust for the cards.

My card layout will be:

[0] blank/firewire header port (Not sure which yet) *silkscreen for a PCIe 4x slot, no actual slot*
                        [1] 8600 GTS #1 *PCIe 16x #1*
                        [2] blank *PCI slot*
                        [3] 8600 GTS #2 *PCIe 16x #2*
                        [4] blank *PCI-x 100MHz*
                        [5] TV tuner card *PCI-x 100MHz*
                        [6] 3ware 9500 *PCI-x 133MHz*

If I had a free PCI, I'd also toss in my sound blaster x-fi (so I could use HDA instead of AC '97)... but given how my only low profile card, the 9500, gets pretty toasty, I figure it wouldn't be a good idea to stick it in slot 4 and putting the xfi in slot 7.

I figure that ought to be a pretty good card layout...
                        sigpic

Comment

After doing some research... it looks like that, aside from the media keys of my fingerprint keyboard, everything in the build can be linuxed... even SLI and the TV tuner. Do I dare... Hmmm...
                          sigpic

Comment

Go for it

Comment

use Windows.

Comment

By the way, 4 oldish drives in RAID0 - hope you don't care about your data It'll be blazing fast though!

Comment

hahaha speaking of 8800 GTS's and their potential to kill themselves, i have one that i need to reflow. bugger quit on me half way thru a game of starcraft 2 with my friends. i was using my motherboards intergrated graphics for close to 6 months (GMA4500) but i did get some gaming done, until my friend upgraded his gpu and gave me his old 9600gt. Good luck with the rig! from memory the geforce 8 series had a LOOOT of problems (mainly the mobile chips though)
                                  Last edited by luke10050; 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by luke10050 View Post
                                    hahaha speaking of 8800 GTS's and their potential to kill themselves, i have one that i need to reflow. bugger quit on me half way thru a game of starcraft 2 with my friends. i was using my motherboards intergrated graphics for close to 6 months (GMA4500) but i did get some gaming done, until my friend upgraded his gpu and gave me his old 9600gt. Good luck with the rig! from memory the geforce 8 series had a LOOOT of problems (mainly the mobile chips though)
                                    Good luck. Be sure to use plenty of paste flux... tin whiskers and the like suck.
                                    sigpic

Comment

hahaha, thanks for the advice. i actually have two 8 series cards. i have an 8600M GS (kill me now!) and a 8800 GTS 320 (lasted about 5 years) so i guess i cant fault it. best reflow method ive found is using a cheap toaster oven to bake the boards and get them to around 240 degrees. seems to outlast my other reflows (albeit they were done with a gas soldering iron, i know its shit, but its really all i have money for)

Best of luck with your new PC, i hope it doesnt give you too many problems. tbh its a pretty cool idea!

Comment

Bought the Board and SLI bridge. Coming soon next week... the first build of 3.5!
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X