Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does the xp EOL affect the tablet edition to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does the xp EOL affect the tablet edition to?

i am looking for xp tablet edition to refurbish some tablet pcs i got (if anybody has a source for win xp tab edition it would help) and thought if xps EOL is next year what about the tablet edition? is it EOL too?
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: does the xp EOL affect the tablet edition to?

Its support ends the same as the others, in April, 2014

Comment

What about test equipment which uses XP and previous versions?
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
        What about test equipment which uses XP and previous versions?
        Yup.

You can use it, but no security updates. Most test equip isn't internet connected, so unless it has USB too, it's not an issue.

What i do wonder is how XP activation will work...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          What i do wonder is how XP activation will work...
          that was my next question
          am i still able to reinstall xp on machines in the process of being refurbished after the EOL?
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I would assume that you won't be able to activate it after April next year (I may be wrong on this but I believe XP is the first OS with WPA to reach the end of extended support?)

As for Embedded systems and other stuff that uses XP, I don't see an issue there unless you need to reactivate for some reason (most ATMs I've seen "crashed" are still running NT4 or win2k, I maintain CCTV systems that run on Win2k and there are access control systems out there that still use 98!)

Comment

its not me that has to keep activating machines into next year, its the non-profit i work with denvertechforall that does. i work with the "odd ball" machines, the tablets, all in ones, linux machines, server, etc so its not f too much concern for me. anyway the xp os these tablets run is basicly xp pro with added software.

thanks for the info people.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post
                I would assume that you won't be able to activate it after April next year (I may be wrong on this but I believe XP is the first OS with WPA to reach the end of extended support?)

As for Embedded systems and other stuff that uses XP, I don't see an issue there unless you need to reactivate for some reason (most ATMs I've seen "crashed" are still running NT4 or win2k, I maintain CCTV systems that run on Win2k and there are access control systems out there that still use 98!)
                Looks like either win7/8 will start selling REALLY well, or Linux will get a large amount of market share.
                sigpic

Comment

both? i mean its hard to run 7 on hardware meant for 2k with an xp sticker!
                  Last edited by goontron; 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I think Windows 7 is usable on lots of old computers. It runs fine on old S478 P4's as long as they have over 1GB of RAM. It seems to be more efficient with older hardware than XP does and doesn't get as many memory leaks when running programs

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                      I think Windows 7 is usable on lots of old computers. It runs fine on old S478 P4's as long as they have over 1GB of RAM. It seems to be more efficient with older hardware than XP does and doesn't get as many memory leaks when running programs
                      Yep, but it depends on the board. I tried Win7 on an old BIOSTAR U8798 Pro P4 board with 2GB of DDR400 RAM. Ran surprisingly efficient, but unsurprisingly, it didn't like the onboard sound (never worked).

Also ran Win7 on an Asus P4B motherboard. Ran pretty well there as well.

Then... I tried Win7 (and WinVista) on an Abit SR7-8X motherboard. Couldn't install the AGP Bus drivers, therefore making the board virtually useless for both OSes. Didn't have a newer PCI graphics card back then, either. You also had to use a Windows Vista Boot CD to even setup Windows 7 on it.
                      Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                      I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Ami Sapphire View Post
                        Then... I tried Win7 (and WinVista) on an Abit SR7-8X motherboard. Couldn't install the AGP Bus drivers, therefore making the board virtually useless for both OSes. Didn't have a newer PCI graphics card back then, either. You also had to use a Windows Vista Boot CD to even setup Windows 7 on it.
                        Same happened to me with a couple high end EATX workstationboards. Anything newer than Xp x32 had AGP problems. Then again, linux was the same deal.
                        sigpic

Comment

That's a shame. There are still lots of nice AGP cards out there

Comment

Originally posted by Ami Sapphire View Post
                            Yep, but it depends on the board. I tried Win7 on an old BIOSTAR U8798 Pro P4 board with 2GB of DDR400 RAM. Ran surprisingly efficient, but unsurprisingly, it didn't like the onboard sound (never worked).
                            7 actually is missing some drivers that were included with XP, which is odd, especially stuff that don't require DirectSound. Looks like Ballmer dropped the ball in this area.
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-04-2013, 04:59 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                            X