Horizontal streaks and distorted colors on VGA output of graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizontal streaks and distorted colors on VGA output of graphics card

I have an old Geforce2 GTS that shows horizontal streaks in its VGA output, and bad colors. It basically shows gray where there should be white, and dark gray ghosting stripes across the screen from text in open windows. Also the color saturation seem wildly inconsistent. I attached a photo of how it looks.

Any ideas of what can be causing this? Damaged GPU? Or maybe some discrete components on the VGA output path that I can replace? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth attempting to fix this.
    Attached Files

Re: Horizontal streaks and distorted colors on VGA output of graphics card

Did you try cleaning the VGA connectors and using another VGA cable? And not the cheapest ones on eBay, they'll exactly cause this problem.
    And obviously another display too.

Inspect the board for bad solder joints around VGA connector or any kind of damage. Post high resolution pictures of both sides of the board.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

That looks like cruddy connectors or a cheap/bad cable to me
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Try some test patterns, eg all white screen, all black, all red, green or blue. If there is a problem with a specific RGB signal path, then it should show up in these tests.

Comment

Looks like an monitor issue. Have a spare monitor to test with?
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
          X