10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
1 Dell Mother Board
15 Computer Power Supply
1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-18-2020 at 06:25 PM..
sam_sam_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
dragos2009

City & State: Craiova
My Country: Romania
Line Voltage: 220VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: New SSD hard drive in laptop computer what a difference in boot time

boot time should be max 15 seconds from push power botton to windows login screen/ desktop if no password used but the cpu needs to be decently fast aswell aka atleast 3000 points on passmark cpu benchmark
dragos2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
Uranium-235
Muffins

City & State: tehas
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: New SSD hard drive in laptop computer what a difference in boot time

oh yeah. I've pushed most of my customers to SSD's. Ram/CPU is usually no longer the bottleneck

make sure you have the right AHCI drivers (instead of windows default) installed for your chipset, to get the maximum speed
Old 04-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz

I wouldn't even dream of selling a laptop with a spinning HDD in it....

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
I wouldn't even dream of selling a laptop with a spinning HDD in it....
I agree! But, have been wondering if the limited amount of writes on TLC and MLC SSDs will come to bite us.

I wouldn't get anything less than an MX500 for Crucial SSDs and for Samsung, I would recommend at least an 860 Evo. (if SATA)

Looks like NVMe all the way! Probably at least a 970 Evo Plus, if getting a Samsung. Unless you can find others with a better-bang-for-the-buck.

I have a 250 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus that I haven't even opened the box of yet...

Ryzen 7 "Matisse" 3700X

16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 SDRAM

XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-20-2020 at 03:08 PM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
piernov

City & State: Valbonne, 06
My Country: France

HDD are way more prone to dying that SSD in laptops due to drop damage and overall mechanical stress. They also start getting less reliable after a few dozen thousands hours and that's not measurable. For SSD you can estimate it with the target write cycles of the technology used and the amount of data written since the SSD is in production. They still both do die randomly though.

Most people put low writing stress on their SSD so they'll probably discard the machine before the SSD has reached its max write cycles. People that put a higher stress on it will probably discard the machine or the SSD earlier. If the SSD is always used when full though it starts becoming an issue, the spare blocks is still pretty low compared to the total capacity of the SSD so you'll wear out some cells faster.
It's more of an issue when buying second hand or refurbishing PC, but then again it is already a problem with HDD.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN

Most of my laptops still have HDDs... but my main use ones (including the tablet I'm posting from) are solid state. It's partially a cost issue (compared to other uses of toy money) and partially laziness. A lot of them are dual booted (Arch x64, 7 x64, and one triple booted with XP too) and I foresee such a move being a bit of a pain. Maybe not, but only a couple are still in anything remotely active use, so why bother?

(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
Most of my laptops still have HDDs... but my main use ones (including the tablet I'm posting from) are solid state. It's partially a cost issue (compared to other uses of toy money) and partially laziness. A lot of them are dual booted (Arch x64, 7 x64, and one triple booted with XP too) and I foresee such a move being a bit of a pain. Maybe not, but only a couple are still in anything remotely active use, so why bother?
All spinning rust, here. Most drives need to be pretty big, to address my needs. And, getting enough RAM to avoid paging is too costly.

And, my "frequent use" laptops are set up to essentially "reinstall" the previous disk image on each boot (use external drives for persistent storage). So, every "in use" sector gets rewritten every time the machine is booted. SSDs tend to fall off a cliff when they fail while rust is a more graceful degradation.

[We'll use a similar approach for the laptop giveaway program... spinning rust is cheap!]
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
clearchris
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: San Antonio
Line Voltage: 120v 60hz / 240v 60hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek

I would retire spinning platter HDD after two years of use, especially in laptops. Two years old, time to upgrade before it died. I have had SSDs running for longer, not a single failure, yet. Though I admit, I still rotate them after two years, they go out of my laptop and my kids get an upgrade on their machine. And I only buy name brand SSD. Samsung, Crucial, Intel, Kingston, maybe SanDisk. Samsung EVO SSD have been good to me so far.
clearchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
Uranium-235
Muffins

City & State: tehas
My Country: US

I have a 970 pro 512gb for OS and 970 evo 1tb for games with 16gb of ram, even though it's a fairly old cpu, but top of the line for the series (6700k @ 4.4)

it's so fast loading it's not even funny (of course UEFI helps boot time). On a full w10 restart it's like the initial spinnys there for 4 seconds, but hard to say 'to desktop' cause it's passworded
Uranium-235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #11
dmill89
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Harrisburg, PA

I learned that years ago. An SSD upgrade is my number one recommendation for people complaining their older but not "ancient" (later gen Core2Duo or newer) laptop is "too slow" (of course RAM too if they have less than 4GB).

Personally aside from some "retro" systems all of my laptops are running SSDs as is my main desktop (at least as a boot drive, it does have a secondary HDD for storage), other desktops are running either SSDs or velociraptors for boot drives.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #12
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje

Welp, even before the newfangled coronavirus, I failed to find any Samsung Pro SSDs. Even before the newfangled coronavirus, I probably was required to purchase online...

Might as well purchase a Samsung Pro SSD during covid-19!

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-20-2020 at 07:04 PM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #13
clearchris
Badcaps Veteran

dmill: For sure! SSD has extended the useful life of all my hardware by a long way. Windows says my current laptop is
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 640 @ 2.80GHz, 2800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
with 8g ram, and it works great for me. Unless I'm doing those android rom builds, then they take what seems like forever, but I really should have a server doing that...
This laptop is at least 5-6 years old, maybe more since I bought it used...
Old 04-21-2020, 02:22 AM   #14
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearchris View Post
I would retire spinning platter HDD after two years of use, especially in laptops. Two years old, time to upgrade before it died. I have had SSDs running for longer, not a single failure, yet. Though I admit, I still rotate them after two years, they go out of my laptop and my kids get an upgrade on their machine. And I only buy name brand SSD. Samsung, Crucial, Intel, Kingston, maybe SanDisk. Samsung EVO SSD have been good to me so far.
I've had exactly two disks fail in 40 years. One a laptop drive that I was using in a 24/7/365 application that kept wanting to spin down -- and the OS would promptly spin it back up every 15 minutes (for cron jobs). The other a desktop drive that developed a problem with its boot sector.

As to "time to boot", my machines hibernate so they're up-and-running in maybe 3 seconds from when I tap a key on the keyboard...

[Note that I probably have close to 200T of spinning rust -- though most of that is offline (only 3-4T in most of my machines; laptops 500G-1T)]
Old 04-21-2020, 05:10 AM   #15
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

I personally just dropped an ADATA SU650 120GB + HGST Z7K500 500GB in my Aspire 8930G and have been happy with it. Yes, I shouldn't have a rust spinner in it, but hey, for the price I paid for that Z7K500 ($11), I can't complain.
Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
16GB DDR3-1600
Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
Delux MG760 case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
I personally just dropped an ADATA SU650 120GB + HGST Z7K500 500GB in my Aspire 8930G and have been happy with it. Yes, I shouldn't have a rust spinner in it, but hey, for the price I paid for that Z7K500 ($11), I can't complain.
I'm assuming it was used for $11.....but that said, it's amazing how cheap SSD's have become....
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
clearchris
Badcaps Veteran

Curious.George: You are fortunate. I have had over 10 spinning platter drives fail over the past 25 years. Thankfully, I was able to get the data off nearly all of them using the ice-pack trick. Also, most of the laptop drives make terrible noises before they completely fail.

I'd rather not deal with having to turn off a machine until the replacement drive arrives, etc.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #18
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearchris View Post
Curious.George: You are fortunate. I have had over 10 spinning platter drives fail over the past 25 years. Thankfully, I was able to get the data off nearly all of them using the ice-pack trick.
I've heard horror stories and (touch wood!) have wondered why so many other folks have had problems that I've not.

I'm almost convinced that the machine that had "boot sector" problems may actually have been PEBKaC -- I may have had an external drive plugged in when I was trying to boot and my boot order is usually set to try external drives before internal. So, the "boot problem" may have been curable by simply removing the external drive! <frown>

I had another episode ~35 years ago with a (SCSI) drive that "crashed". But, quickly realized that the problem was an OS upgrade when the (identical) backup drive ALSO crashed! So, I can't count those as media failures (as both drive were recoverable from WORM backup).

Quote:
Also, most of the laptop drives make terrible noises before they completely fail.
Yes, that was how I eventually realized what had happened.

I have always had a machine, here, that runs 24/7/365 to provide "core network services" -- DNS, TFTP, NTP, SMTP, etc. Some years ago (when machines were still "large" and the only way to trim them down was to elimiate the keyboard and monitor and hide them under a dresser), I set on the idea of using a laptop for this role (!). It was small, thin (low profile), had a "monitor" built in -- along with a keyboard, etc.

What I hadn't considered was the effect of spinning up and down every 15 minutes would do to the disk over the course of years!

Note that the services running on the machine could continue to run (no paging needed) -- just nothing that had to go to/from the media (those processes would obviously hang).

So, from my other machines/workstations, all seemed well. Until I happened to be close to the laptop, one day, and heard this sick clanking... <frown>

Quote:
I'd rather not deal with having to turn off a machine until the replacement drive arrives, etc.
I have lots of spare drives on hand.

But, my "workstation" is spread out over several machines (each machine having the I/Os and software necessary for a particular type of activity/task). So, I only lose some particular subset of capabilities when a machine is being serviced.

E.g., I'll be moving one of my workstations to another machine with more memory and second CPU. So, it will need to be backed up (just in case). And, while that is happening, I'll switch to some other activity that can run on one of the remaining workstations.

[My machines are my livelihood so down time has a cost associated with it. That realization makes it easier to set aside re$ource$ to minimize downtime! E.g., I have a collection of spare monitors, keyboards, mice, memory, disks -- even MACHINES -- that I can put into use in minutes so "what I'm working on" isn't interrupted: "I'll fix it later!"]

note there's a second "row" of monitors behind the first depicted, here... (shitty photographer! :> )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00580.jpg (116.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Curious.George; 04-21-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Old 04-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #19
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
I'm assuming it was used for $11.....but that said, it's amazing how cheap SSD's have become....
Lightly used, came from some Lenovo, judging by the IBM FRU and the datecode of 2015. The guy I bought from was actually the same guy I got a 1TB drive from for one of my Aspire 6930G laptops (I have two, one w/ HD4650 and one with 9600M GT, the one in question was the 9600M) and he has two more of these 7200RPM laptop drives at the same price.

The SSD was $30 though, as it was brand new bought from a romanian retailer (Altex) in box and everything. I had it in my PC but never got around using it, and thought I'd rather stick it in a laptop that deserves it. My 8930G should also get a new CPU upgrade hopefully, and maybe a GT240M once I can track down one.

I also have a lot more laptops coming through to fix up/upgrade for myself - an Acer 6920 with the infamous NEC/TOKIN issue, a 7738G with desperate need of parts (LCD,RAM, HDD and possibly battery too) and a near pristine 5739G. All TUBA models

Last edited by Dan81; 04-21-2020 at 10:53 AM..
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #20
clearchris
Badcaps Veteran

CG: Yeah, the noises are fun. Worst I ever heard was a lound boing noise, like a spring popping or something. I immediately shut down and got a new disk on order.

I do like keeping spares, except for drives. You wait a year, and you get a much bigger disk. So it becomes an upgrade too.

Actually, I wasn't even including my really old stuff bought from the recycler. I bought a stack of HP Proliant servers by the pound. Came out to somewhere around $25 each. Those I ran raid 0 on because I didn't trust them at all and had spares from some other unused servers. They didn't owe me anything though, they were 5.25 scsi 40G drives.