iMac A1419 one beep every 5 secs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac A1419 one beep every 5 secs

I don't have too much troubleshooting experience on iMacs, as they are such a PITA to work on. But I thought I'd post this fault as it may save some people a lot of freaking time.

So I got this 2012 27" Apple iMac come in with a single beep every 5 seconds. RAM error according to Apple. Well you know where this headed, the RAM was not the cause, as replacement RAM didn't work, and the RAM fitted worked in another machine.

Cut a long story short, the fault was not on the motherboard itself, but on the headphone jack (J6500). When disconnected, the iMac sprung to life. I started metering the board on the rear of this jack, and found a couple of caps shorted. From the 320-3298-A schematic, this short was on pin 17 (PP3V3_S4_AUDIO_DIG). This comes from the PP3V3_S4 rail, so that's a pretty important rail to remove in the power sequence. How does a missing S4 rail equate to a RAM error? Of course, you won't realise that there's a short when you take the board out to check everything, because J6500 will be disconnected.

In retrospect, I let myself go up a blind alley all because of Apple's claim that this was a RAM error.

BTW, I located the shorted cap on the jack with my thermal camera. Looks to be a 0201 bypass cap on the 3V3 rail. It's right on the edge so corrosion likely did it in. You can flick it off rather than playing parts roullette with Aliexpress.
    Attached Files

Re: iMac A1419 one beep every 5 secs

Man, you are a lifesaver! I had this thing apart and back together 4 times switching out components. I disconnected the headphone jack completely as I don't use it and BONG! it starts up.

Comment

Re: iMac A1419 one beep every 5 secs

Another one!

Just got one of these in today and after changing the ram still no joy, thought it had to be a missing rail common with ram so a 2 second google leads me here and your spot on that was my issue so call it a common one

Comment

Working...
      X