Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb windforce oc

Hi All,

After a little advice, I have a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb. A few weeks back something burnt out on it. To the point somke was coming out of the PC. Ive done a few phone repairs and laptop repairs over the years with the help of boardview, so im relatively happy with testing and soldering etc. But ive never had to deal with this sort of damage before. The big question is, is it repairable? Am i wasting my time even trying? does anyone have any resources for this GPU. Now i know the rough history of the card was purchased from a friend about 3 months before it went up in smoke. Wasn’t running hot or anything like that so i can only presume it had a resistor that had gone bad and burnt the plastic case out.

Any advice or ideas would be really appreciated! Even if it is putting it in the bin!!

Thanks

G
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goosehouse; 10-16-2021, 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb windforce oc

PS the tide line around the damage is from being cleaned with iso
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb windforce oc

I think the 12V line has gone up in smoke, due to the lack of fuses in GTX1xxx cards. Probably one of the upper MOSFET has shorted.
      There is a chance that the GPU survived, slim thou.

I actually have successfully repaired cards like this but it involves cutting out all of the charred pcb with exacto knife(just my preference, some use Dremel), fixing data, logic etc. traces, swapping out shorted MOSFET's. A microscope is really recommended. Tedious job!!!

Example : P106 Mining GPU that had 12V trace blown, taking with him the 1.8V regulator, good portion of the PCB and one phase of the VRM. Has been mining away 8 months now without issues.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X