This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi, I'm a computer programmer by trade, with an engineering background. Found your site while looking for information regarding repairing my Jenn-air oven. Caps are already on their way, and I'm both dreading and looking forward to getting out the soldering iron. When it comes to soldering, I'm a great computer programmer.

Comment

I am a retired graphics designer w/ Memorex MLT4221P TV that just wouldn't turn on. Then I found this forum and it sounds like there are super knowledgeable electronics gurus on here and they can raise Lazarus from the dead. Wow. Help me bring life back to my TV. I am going to attempt (and not get electrocuted) to check fuses and pull my board & take photos. I sure hope this works with a LOT of guidance. Larry

Comment

Hi, im just here to get a cap for my comp, was wondering if it shortens the life of a cap if it is bent then bent back post for refrence (there are pics in post)
        http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/....html#17405750

Comment

Hi there!

I was thrown to this site whilst looking up the term VLoss for capacitors, I need to read on to learn more! :S

Thanks for letting me in! Looks like this may be a useful site to me

Cheers

Alan

Comment

@Squirl

I really wouldn't attempt to remount that capacitor, it's clearly a right-off!

You don't show the identifying markings on the broken capacitor?

The capacitor that's nearest to where the problem capacitor has been torn away looks like a 270uF ( "uF" means microfarad) 16v radial electrolytic, does the broken capacitor have the same markings on the top?

I don't live in the US, but I believe that RadioShack would be a good starting place to find a replacement.

270uF is a bit of a strange value, so you might have to get a 330uF providing the working voltage of 16v (v= volts) is matched this would work fine. Also try to get one with the same lead pitch (the distance between where the leads exit the capacitor)

It can be tricky replacing capacitors on multilayer PCBs like motherboards, there's so much copper to dissipate the heat from the soldering site it can take an iron with a decent wattage to achieve the job, but then a hot iron if left in one spot can easily cause damage, so it can be a balancing act :S

Needless to say, it's very easy for even an experienced engineer to cause damage to the board whilst performing this sort of repair, so on your own head be it!

Good luck! Keep your fingers crossed, it might just save you the price of a new motherboard

Alan
            Last edited by thisisunique@hotmail.com; 01-31-2016, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is where new people post their first post but I will give it a try. My name is Erik. I live in Bellmawr NJ. Always been interested in electronics and will always be. Sometimes it gets confusing that's why I would like to learn more about it from experienced people.

Comment

Hi!
                I am Stephan from Austria .

My Dell had an instant kill few days ago and because i have no clue about electronics i has opened it and was searching on the internet for some troubleshooting.

So i was lucky to find this Forum because it looks excatly what i was looking for .

Comment

Originally posted by thisisunique@hotmail.com View Post
                  @Squirl

I really wouldn't attempt to remount that capacitor, it's clearly a right-off!

You don't show the identifying markings on the broken capacitor?

The capacitor that's nearest to where the problem capacitor has been torn away looks like a 270uF ( "uF" means microfarad) 16v radial electrolytic, does the broken capacitor have the same markings on the top?

I don't live in the US, but I believe that RadioShack would be a good starting place to find a replacement.

270uF is a bit of a strange value, so you might have to get a 330uF providing the working voltage of 16v (v= volts) is matched this would work fine. Also try to get one with the same lead pitch (the distance between where the leads exit the capacitor)

It can be tricky replacing capacitors on multilayer PCBs like motherboards, there's so much copper to dissipate the heat from the soldering site it can take an iron with a decent wattage to achieve the job, but then a hot iron if left in one spot can easily cause damage, so it can be a balancing act :S

Needless to say, it's very easy for even an experienced engineer to cause damage to the board whilst performing this sort of repair, so on your own head be it!

Good luck! Keep your fingers crossed, it might just save you the price of a new motherboard

Alan
                  I'm an idiot and tried to reseat it (failed)
                  I believe that the last radioshack in the US just died
                  The markings on the top are as follows 5KS43 270 16v
                  Here is a picture, http://a.pomf.cat/iqdvkm.jpg
                  It'll be really hard to solder because the board will not come out of the case
                  I just need to know where to get a new cap
                  I've got a 30w soldering iron
                  Last edited by Squirl; 01-31-2016, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Hello my name is jackson and I live in Italy I have been taking apart a dead LED TV for no good reason and decided I am going to try and fix it.

Comment

@Squirl

Have you tried the store locator to see where your nearest store is?

https://www.radioshack.com/apps/store-locator

From the picture the info I gave above is correct

270uF (or if they don't carry that value 330uF) 16vw, Radial Electrolytic

I've never seen a motherboard yet that can't be removed from its case?

Did it power up at all? If it didn't, maybe there's more damage than the obvious capacitor issue? How did the cap get knocked off?

You could be wasting your time with it

Comment

NFG for now...howdy from sunny SoCal (except today it's raining)

New member...lots of good info on this site's forums. I've been successful in the past on a couple monitors with cap issues. Just recently our 55" Samsung UN55D6060 tv stopped working...one day works, next day it doesn't. We had bought it in 2011 through costco, with AMEX and got the square trade extended warranty (5 yrs total). Called it in, and square trade, ordered all three boards and sent a tech out to replace them. He was unsuccessful, said it was a panel issue and square trade sent us a 2015 Samsung 55" as a replacement. They said we could do whatever with the old TV...they have no use for it.

Good enough...so I now have the old 55" TV broken down and during the process noticed an LED that was separated from the right side LED bar. There are 2 bars (R/L) that have 100 LEDs inline. I did notice a couple weeks prior to the TV going out the right corner started developing a dark spot starting in the area where the LED is missing.

When I said TV stopped working, it means there is nothing but black, no clicking, nothing other than the standby light blinks on and off very slowly.

Anyone got a gut feeling on whether this is repairable. Dismantling the TV went fine...all parts taken apart without any issus...except...playing around with the power supply testing out the caps, i wound up busting the green ceramic cap (only one on the board), and can't find the numbers to it. I will need to get that or a replacement power supply if this TV can be saved.

Enough for now and thanks for the forum.

So now I have this

Comment

Hello all,

I am new to recapping, but have worked with electronics in the past. Over the last week I have had one of monitors go down with bad caps and my wife just lost her computer to bad caps (the wonderful KZGs).

I have already found some great information on the site so far.

Thanks for any help with my future post.

Jim

Comment

Hello forum colleagues!
                            I am from Romania and I work in PC Repair domain.
                            I want to say that this forum saved me many times.
                            Thanks!

Comment

Hello@all.Im Lioz from Romania, my first system was an x386 with 40mhz DX processor with 2 megs of ram.Starting with that year im in the "scene" .

Comment

Hello dear fellows and greeting from Germany.

I just repaired my old graphics card for the 2nd time by replacing the remaining bad caps. Now I am looking around my other appliances that are faulty and I am trying to get them back to work. Professionally, I have nothing to do with electronics, so this is just a hobby. One that I started from very young (soldering from elementary school), though I never was ambitious or spendable enough for bigger projects to advance in this field. I had a short return to microprocessors after finishing school, but then university life took up my time and left me without a proper place to solder

Well, actually I do have to do with electronics professionally: I am digging up the earth for all those metals that electronics consist of. So, in some way I see my repair hobby as a way of being economic with our limited precious resources (and a way to save some buck, but loose a lot of time on the the other hand )

Comment

hi

My name is tony, I was born to fix things, my moto is if it ain't broke... it soon will be so you better learn to fix it.
                                  Please go easy on me when I ask stupid questions. I will try to share what little i know.
                                  if any of you guys play chess let me know and we could play online.

Comment

Hello,

Just introducing myself. Not really familiar with TV repair and what not, but necessity might just breed a new skill

I'm hopeful some wiser and more experienced members might be able to assist me in fixing my Mom's Sharp LC-46E830U that is sending a blink code like it's trying to phone home or something!

Comment

Hello! My name is Brandon and I am new to the forum, and somewhat new to fixing TVs! My brother and I fix old arcade games and I have been tinkering with broken electronics for years. I am a Spanish teacher, but I fix discarded LCD TVs in my spare time to earn some extra cash.

Comment

Hello everybody, Timothy here, apprentice in electrical and computer repair

This forum is awesome! First stumbled upon this while searching for solutions for my LCD monitor's bad caps. Have learned a lot from here since

Comment

Hello Just looking to learn some tv repair for fun

Comment

Working...
                                          X