Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create a "How to post a problem" sticky?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create a "How to post a problem" sticky?

Hello all you fellow repair-junkies!

So as I've been look through all the current threads I noticed a majority of them you see the same thing. "Please post pictures using our forum and post them as attachments", check for this, check for that, etc.... I myself was guilty of doing this my first post. So I was thinking maybe we should have a sticky with "How to post a problem" and also have a quick "If you're experiencing this, check this" guide.

I have a few LCDs around that have different symptoms and would be willing to take pictures, but I don't quite have the technical background to say what it could be and what to check.

Re: Create a "How to post a problem" sticky?

Originally posted by Ritalin View Post
    Hello all you fellow repair-junkies!

So as I've been look through all the current threads I noticed a majority of them you see the same thing. "Please post pictures using our forum and post them as attachments", check for this, check for that, etc.... I myself was guilty of doing this my first post. So I was thinking maybe we should have a sticky with "How to post a problem" and also have a quick "If you're experiencing this, check this" guide.

I have a few LCDs around that have different symptoms and would be willing to take pictures, but I don't quite have the technical background to say what it could be and what to check.

While the thought is good, there are several issues. The major one is "How do we get someone to read the sticky before posting?" And even then, some people don't believe in following suggestions, even when very good reasons are explained.

As far as the problem monitors you have, I'm sure you know enough to include a concise description of the problem. With that, the pictures, and an explanation of what you have already tried, it is easy to come up with the next steps.

I'm not sure it would be effective creating a troubleshooting tree. They assume a significant technical background. It is easy to say 'Check input fuse', but by the time you cover all possible configurations the thread would be rather long.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Here is a recent post that I think provides excellent info for a post #1

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13258
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
        While the thought is good, there are several issues. The major one is "How do we get someone to read the sticky before posting?" And even then, some people don't believe in following suggestions, even when very good reasons are explained.

As far as the problem monitors you have, I'm sure you know enough to include a concise description of the problem. With that, the pictures, and an explanation of what you have already tried, it is easy to come up with the next steps.

I'm not sure it would be effective creating a troubleshooting tree. They assume a significant technical background. It is easy to say 'Check input fuse', but by the time you cover all possible configurations the thread would be rather long.

PlainBill
        Ya, I see your point Bill, I just wish there was a way to organize the information and have to somewhere to reference to. Like for me, I have 4-5 LCD monitors laying here that I don't know what to do next, and I don't want to plague the forum with threads for each one. So maybe I'll just have to write up my own and keep it for myself.

@retiredcaps: That is an excellent first post and it would be nice to have everyone follow that format, but like Bill said, not everyone reads stickies or will take the time.

Comment

Like for me, I have 4-5 LCD monitors laying here that I don't know what to do next, and I don't want to plague the forum with threads for each one. So maybe I'll just have to write up my own and keep it for myself.

@retiredcaps: That is an excellent first post and it would be nice to have everyone follow that format, but like Bill said, not everyone reads stickies or will take the time.

Nothing wrong with starting a new thread for a monitor. One thread I recently saw was for a Dell E172? monitor, which ran 23 pages! Too much! Just provide good photos and a clear description of the problem. You've probably read enough threads where you pretty much know what info is required to give you the fastest, most accurate response.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
            Nothing wrong with starting a new thread for a monitor. One thread I recently saw was for a Dell E172? monitor, which ran 23 pages! Too much! Just provide good photos and a clear description of the problem. You've probably read enough threads where you pretty much know what info is required to give you the fastest, most accurate response.
            I agree.That is kind of confusing.But it is worse when Thread refers to Monitor "A" and then someone jumps in and says "I have monitor B with the same problem and ...."....that's where the issue starts to get hairy ....
            There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
            • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
            • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
            • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
            • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050
              2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Hello

Comment

Working...
              X