Asus GTX980Ti and MSI GTX980 with the same odd problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus GTX980Ti and MSI GTX980 with the same odd problem

And I almost bought a Fermi in 2016! (IIRC, the GTS 450 or something like that, for the model name.) It was gutsy, according to benchmark testers...

OTOH, the Radeon R9 290/X and Radeon R9 290/Xs are more likely to have MOSFET (or the like) failure. Based on information I saw so far...

I urge Radeon R9 290/X and Radeon R9 280/X users to keep them extra cool!
    I suspect a lot of failures occur, due to high case temps, clogged heatsinks or a fan failure.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

AFAIK, only the GTX 460, 470, 480 and 485 used the softer, problematic underfill. On the other hand, i do have a GTS 450 with a dead GPU lying around... The card shows video but goes blank when you install drivers. Same behavior after reflow. A replacement GPU chip costs more than the card is worth, even before factoring in the work that goes into replacing it.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
        ATI/AMD has issues well spread among its chips…
        Some of them are related to heat, some are not (or will eventually fail even though they are kept in a somewhat low temperature).
        They really need to work on the reliability of their chips.
        Exactly.

What I don't get is how come their CPUs (AMD anyways, now that ATI is under AMD) are okay and not affected. Can't they just take their CPU process production and clone it over for their GPU production? Or is that not the problem at all.

On that note, I wonder if the CPUs being socketed has something to do with it, since a socketed chip does not need to be soldered to the board, and therefore does not get exposed to high heat during soldering (other than when soldering the die to the chip substrate). What's your opinion on that?

Originally posted by piernov View Post
        Also MCP7x sometimes failed even though they shouldn't have been concerned by the bumpgate issue.
        MCP7x is from the GeForce 7x00 era, so I'm not surprised they have failures. Lots of EVGA i750 and i780 SLI boards out there that have gone bad due to nForce 6 and 7 chipsets. Even the nForce 4 and 5 chipsets are prone to failure, though it seems that nForce 4 is the toughest of the failure-prone series. (Now that I said this, I'm expecting one of my nForce 4 boards to fail soon, lol )

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        Another shit generation, and the GeForce 9800 possibly counts, but the one that I discovered to have failed, was in an OEM case, thus, a good chance of it getting toasty!
        GeForce 9x00 series - no. Those are the tough bastards, actually. nVidia mostly fixed the bumpgate issue with them. The reason so many GeForce 9800 video cards failed is because of excessive heat / inadequate coolers. All single-slot GeForce 9800 cards I've seen run stupid hot under load, well in excess of 80C (often reaching near 90C with sub-optimal case cooling or higher ambient temps). Heck, even idle, the cooler on these cards can't keep them under 60C most of the time. That's completely unacceptable, IMO. So no wonder they fail.

And I almost bought a Fermi in 2016! (IIRC, the GTS 450 or something like that, for the model name.) It was gutsy, according to benchmark testers...
        Well, I bought a GTX 560 TI two summers ago for $10 at a yard sale. Tested it only briefly and it seems to work okay... but let's see for how long. I will be building a gaming rig with it sometime soon hopefully. But depending on the running temperatures, I might only have it as a "Winter gaming rig", lol.

OTOH, the Radeon R9 290/X and Radeon R9 290/Xs are more likely to have MOSFET (or the like) failure. Based on information I saw so far...
        They did have quite a few MOSFET failures indeed.
        But they also still fail "traditionally" - i.e. GPU chip problems.

No idea if that will help or not. Some run fairly cool with their oversized tripple-fan coolers. I think they are all doomed regardless of how you run them. Would be interesting to see what happens if someone took a brand new one and under-volted and under-clocked it (only the performance states anyways) substantially to keep the TDP extra low. Maybe that would help too?
        Last edited by momaka; 02-19-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I had a msi gtx 980,It was short ,I remove its chip and 330,470 capacitors now it is not short .but when put back any capacitor it is short
          Can you help me?🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Comment

I just got around to fixing a Gigabyte GTX 970, I got off ebay last year. I had similar issue on a uefi board. Boot code was B2

I did the following > Force mobo to use onboard iGPU.
            Confimed windows detects gigabyte gtx 970 ( gpuz )
            once in windows > backed up the bios firmware. ( nvflash ) just in case.
            Then I used the
            https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers...fi-update-x64/
            Reboot
            Revert mobo bios setting and now boots into windows fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cybernova View Post
              I had a msi gtx 980,It was short ,I remove its chip and 330,470 capacitors now it is not short .but when put back any capacitor it is short
              Can you help me?🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
              so what side its shorted?
              add pictures
              Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Hi all,
                I can't identify a component on a graphics card.
                can you help me?
                I am new to this forum.
                If my question is not in the right place, please move it to the right place.

Comment

I suspect a lot of failures occur, due to high case temps, clogged heatsinks or a fan failure.
                  And suspect that failures are also due to the "0 RPM" feature.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                  X