KSGER STM32 T12 soldering stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KSGER STM32 T12 soldering stations

Check the handle and its wiring. The shake switch can be installed upside down or wired wrong and it picks up noise.

Here is the schematic for your KSGER 24V power supply at post #3.

I doubt anything is wrong with it (PSU), aside from grounding. The 24VDC(-) should connect to earth ground for safety and noise.
    The newer OLED-V3.0, OLED-V3.1 controller boards have an extra GND pad where you can solder a wire to, and then connect to a GND on the metal enclosure and IEC connector.
    That also might fix the shake switch problem, if it is due to noise.
    Last edited by redwire; 01-20-2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Hi, I would like to replace the three capacitors of my KSGER T12's PSU. Don't trust the cheap chinese Chongx caps after hearing stories about leakage and "exploding" soldering stations after ten months use...

- 1x ChongX VEHT, 82uF, 400V, diameter: 16mm, height: 25mm (not much room to the sides and top)
      - 2x ChongX VEHT, 1000uF, 35V, diameter: 10mm, height: 20mm

Which ones should I use? Can't find a datasheet for ChongX caps and unsure about ESR and ripple values.

Comment

for the 1000uf caps, can you fit 12.5mm diameter??

Comment

Primary cap was 68uF 400V 16x26mm and KSGER increased to 82uF. I couldn't find any 82uF 16x26mm caps at 400V. The heatsink and Y-cap are near it, so 18mm dia. would be really tight and hit the Y-cap. One problem is the low height, maximum 27mm. It must be a laptop brick cap. I have Ltec there.

The two 1,000uF 35V 10x20mm caps could go taller.
          I think you could barely stuff in 12.5mm dia. parts, one cap has SMT resistors nearby. I have green Sanyo there.

Because the PSU is only under full load 3A for short periods, the caps are not highly stressed I think and ESR not so important.
          The mains fuses are way too big, so if the mosfet shorts, many parts get damaged first and better off to throw the PSU in the garbage than try fix it.

Comment

panasonic FS 10x25 for the 1000uf 35v
            Attached Files

Comment

if you drop to 68uf on the mains then chemicon EKXJ401ELL680ML25S
              https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...e9689636ea.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                panasonic FS 10x25 for the 1000uf 35v
                Thanks! Now the big one, please.

Comment

I have the 7 segment display version of this iron. I like it a lot but I did have to re-wire the new handle I bought that was originally intended for the KSGER T12.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  Ryzen 3600x
                  16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                  MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                  MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                  Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                  Rosewill Capstone 750W
                  Hakko FX-888D Station
                  FX-8802 Iron
                  MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Has anyone here tried the "STC" controller (the one with an 8051 clone instead of an STM32)? I keep seeing those, and they tend to be the version with an external power supply. I'm looking at these to finally replace my $15 soldering iron, or I might go for a Weller WE1010 instead. The Weller probably won't perform as well, but it doesn't have the "unfinished hobby project" feel.

Comment

the T12 is better, you can upgrade your base or pcb while keeping the handle and tips later.

Comment

Narrow it down a bit, how much soldering do you do and what is your budget? Small delicate work or bigger stuff?

I much prefer Hakko and Weller stations because they are more comfy and reliable. A soldering iron is a tool you want ease of use, otherwise years of reminder that you cheaped out.
                        The KSGER T12 copies are OK, quality has dropped, but what a hassle for PE grounding them, getting crappy quality tips, no decent handle grips and no decent stand exists for the handles, it will fall out onto your floor lol. They are cheap and unrefined.

The Weller WE1010 is better quality, the tips are a bit larger and smaller selection than T12. The base lacks a primary mains fuse, not sure if that has been corrected yet.

KSGER STM32 soldering iron controller firmware is copy-protected, I'm not sure who really owns it. It also uses an RTOS so in the end it is more expensive, as well as the MCU being more expensive but it has the code space for the OLED fonts and graphics. It's full of useless features like a real-time clock and 30 menus of nothing.

The STC MCU is much less expensive and decent hardware, Quicko (State renamed to Quecoo) uses them a lot.
                        LED one uses STC15F204EA only 4KB FLASH, 256B RAM, 10-bit ADC.
                        OLED one uses STC15W408AS only 8KB FLASH, 512B RAM, 10-bit ADC.

I would get a station with a built-in mains power supply. The mini falls off your desk, it's just silly it should be built-in to a stand so the cords don't yank it around. But people do run them with laptop 19V power bricks (45W) or mobile battery packs.

Comment

I don't do much soldering anymore, and even when I did solder more, I got a decent amount of life out of that $15 iron. Because of the lack of use, that Weller is about as much as I want to spend. I'm not doing anything extremely tiny (smaller than 0402) or extremely large, but I might have an occasional motherboard repair.

The tiny box on the version without a power supply did look annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                            Has anyone here tried the "STC" controller (the one with an 8051 clone instead of an STM32)? I keep seeing those, and they tend to be the version with an external power supply. I'm looking at these to finally replace my $15 soldering iron, or I might go for a Weller WE1010 instead. The Weller probably won't perform as well, but it doesn't have the "unfinished hobby project" feel.
                            Check out the Pinecil https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-s...oldering-iron/
                            Ryzen 3600x
                            16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                            MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                            MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                            Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                            Rosewill Capstone 750W
                            Hakko FX-888D Station
                            FX-8802 Iron
                            MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

When I turned on my KSGER today there was a loud bang. Turns out R1 is completely burned. Other components look OK. Any ideas what could cause this? Don't want to replace and have it happen again.
                              Attached Files

Comment

That is the sense resistor for the SMPS 0.30Ω
                                It means your power mosfet failed shorted. Check R6 as well, but the IC could be blown as well.

Schematic here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/review...36/#msg2467236

For the time and money to repair it, I would just order a new PSU. The price of mosfet, IC, fuse, and maybe a cap or two, troubleshooting time...

Why it blew up - it could be a failing electrolytic capacitor, shorted wand or just cheap stuff off the junk.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                  That is the sense resistor for the SMPS 0.30Ω
                                  It means your power mosfet failed shorted. Check R6 as well, but the IC could be blown as well.

Schematic here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/review...36/#msg2467236

For the time and money to repair it, I would just order a new PSU. The price of mosfet, IC, fuse, and maybe a cap or two, troubleshooting time...

Why it blew up - it could be a failing electrolytic capacitor, shorted wand or just cheap stuff off the junk.
                                  Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will just power it off a 24V adapter for now, probably have one or two laying around. Thinking of getting a Pinecil instead.

Comment

get this:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26KXtHZqhMg

Comment

Interesting thread.

redwire, if you see this I have two questions regarding all the info you have shared here.

You mentioned the fuse values were too high, what value for mains fuse would you recommend if trying to find an optimum value?

Also, you mentioned the mini version needing further mods. Is there a resource somewhere that explains what those mods would be? I assume it's something to do with the differences in grounding? And a 3 pin 24V adapter would be required for this to work?

Comment

You see the sense resistor is ending up being the power supply's fuse lol. I dislike that and would go to a 2A fuse, the PSU has a 5Ω/3A NTC inrush limiter.
                                        Some come with a slow-blow fuse on the PC board.

If you power the T12 station from mains, it needs to be an earth-grounded PSU. A two-prong power supply will impose high voltage on the tip due to the Y-cap leakage current (just measure ACV between PE and the tip). 60VAC is no good for sensitive semi's. So no two-prong power sources, that is trouble.
                                        Laptop adapters are 3-prong but floating output (with 1MEG and Y-cap to GND) so they work OK.
                                        You can also use cordless drill battery packs, 12V gel-cell and boost-converter etc. to go portable.

Comment

Are you familiar with the internals of the Meanwell power supplies? I've been playing around with the idea of using RPS-120-24. RPS-200-24 or RPS-300-24 in a custom enclosure. Trying to combine all of the positives of these cheap Chinese T12 stations like the sleep function detecting when the handle is in the stand, but with a dependable power supply. They seem too likely to fail in the long term.

Assuming a Meanwell supply is used, I've been trying to weigh up the positives and negatives of using an internal power supply vs external. I guess if it's wired properly it's safe either way? The good thing about an internal supply is it gives the unit some weight and stability on the desk. I also like the idea of being able to put the stand on top of the enclosure in space confined situations.

My idea is something like..

Front Panel
                                          - on/off switch for Display + 24V on controller board (T12 + C245)
                                          - display and encoder knob

Rear Panel
                                          - mains power switch and IEC connector
                                          - 24V output for powering something like Pinecil or TS101
                                          - 12V input for powering C210 tips with external adapter
                                          - banana jack for solder stand sleep function
                                          - GX12 Connector for handle

The enclosure could be used as a standalone power supply, as a soldering station or even use 2 irons at once (T12 and TS100 for example).. in an enclosure that's roughly 16-18cm X 10-12cm X 6cm if I can find something that size. RPS-300-24 (200W with passive cooling) for C245 compatibility, RPS-200-24 (140W with passive cooling) without.

Just wondering if there any considerations or precautions that would need to be taken in terms of grounding the tip. For example, even if powering 12V C210 with a dodgy 2 prong power supply.. maybe I could use the ground from the 3 prong IEC connector? Even with the IEC power switch off, the ground would still be connected?

Does this post describe the Y cap issue? https://electronics.stackexchange.co.../540742#540742

Aixun T3A are good units, but I've still seen failing components on those stations as well. And it's hard to access the front panel, there's no screws and it's glued on.

The reason I appreciate the info in this thread, is that I don't have a unit in front of me, just in a hypothetical/planning stage. I've never used a T12 or C245 style iron before, but there seems to be some advantages.

Comment

Working...
                                          X