Here is a good used source for 18650 batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here is a good used source for 18650 batteries

mmm... need to start getting/building packs that approach to the kilowatt-hour mark...
    Them again, starting to collect too many bad cells too, in laptops I still use... ugh.

Comment

I have the same problem I have a collection of bad cells that I need to figure out what to do with them but I going to wait until I have finished building some of these battery packs before I deal with this issue

Battery Hookup had some brand new batteries for sale about a month ago that had never been used but there was a catch that they were being prepared for welding them together however there laser machine that would be used malfunction so company sold batteries surplus but use some type of glue on the negative side of the battery that need to be cleaned off to be able to used them which took some time to do but I have tested some of them and they are 3 amp hour batteries from Panasonic and these batteries were $1.00 each and came in a box of 30 but they did not last long for sale I bought 3 boxes of them I still have to clean only one more box of them but this set of them have some type of soft glue that get everything glue-e and I have not figured out how to clean them with out getting the glue everywhere

And the reason for why these were sold for a dollar each
      You need to clean the glue off and
      You need to put heat shrink tubing on them because they come natural with only the metal housing showing
      But Battery Hookup supply you with the heat shrink tubing already cut to the correct size and the fish paper for the positive side of the battery terminal
      You have to test them for current capability to make sure that all battery cells are testing good before being used

I do not mind having to process batteries in this condition yes it some work to do this before you can test them and before you can use them but they are brand new and have not been welded on which is a plus for me

These batteries are going to be used in a battery housing that I bought on eBay that is for 12 volts at 18 amp hour which can hold 48 batteries in it ( 3s@16p ) and still have enough room for the BMS protection board in the case I just need to make sure that the BMS protection board that I have with fit into the housing

Unless I want to pay $75.00 for a BMS balancing protection board that has Bluetooth capability for being able to watch the battery on charge and being discharging while being in use I am thinking about buying it but have not completely decided on this yet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23386178568...0AAOSwrDRhXXSO

Which if my calculations are correct this would be a 48 amp hour battery pack wow
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2021, 04:13 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Damn. It's an off-brand battery pack so who knows what's in it, was meant to be a clone of a name brand tool of some sort.

But I got an OK from the shopkeeper to bring in a contraption to test it. A multimeter isn't enough IMHO (BTW, the LED fuel gauge reads "full"), I need to load test. now I need to design and build a test circuit of some sort that I can carry into the shop...and hope it doesn't get sold to someone else...

Comment

All you would need is a couple of automotive type headlights as a load and use the fuel gauge on the battery pack this will tell you that the batteries can take a load it just would not tell you for how long it would run the load unless you could stand there for a few minutes with the load hooked to the battery pack but it might let you know if you had bad battery cells or not

This would be better than not testing it at all

If you can test it for several minutes and it does not dim down much and the price is right I would take my chances on them
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2021, 08:08 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Minimum I'd have to have two identical headlamps in series and a multimeter I suppose. but I don't have two headlight bulbs. Actually maybe I do but they're halogen capsules that are kind of dangerous to operate outside of encapsulation. Ugh, don't think I should do that.

This is 0.125kWh/pack. The hope is that it can light two headlight bulbs in series without voltage depression.

Alas still not close to target capacity, but it is ~ 10Wh/$1 ...

Comment

You could also use so MR16 50 watt one if you do want use the automotive type head lights
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

yeah at least those are safer than bringing two bare 9004 bulbs which I do have...

The only MR16's I have are a 20W and LED MR16s but LEDs aren't a sufficient load.

I have one 10Ω 50W resistor. That's the best I have for a safe load for now, but that too is insufficient. Else I have a lot of TO3 transistors that I'd have to tune the load for, but those I surely need a heat sink for. I suppose I need to shoot for 1C load so that's around 150W, that's a lot of heat.

If only I had what you just bought...

Comment

Here is an update on these battery packs that I bought

This battery pack does give me 7800 milliamperes hours like it suppose to and the BMS protection board does work correctly this battery pack will be used as it for my LED yard light

Here are the exact results 7739 milliamperes hours @ 27.001 volts which is close enough to 7800 milliamperes hours in my book
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-27-2021, 03:56 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    Minimum I'd have to have two identical headlamps in series and a multimeter I suppose. but I don't have two headlight bulbs. Actually maybe I do but they're halogen capsules that are kind of dangerous to operate outside of encapsulation. Ugh, don't think I should do that.

This is 0.125kWh/pack. The hope is that it can light two headlight bulbs in series without voltage depression.

Here is something that you might be interested in

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27470971681....c100290.m3507
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well... measurement won't be a problem, I have to collect this data for my GTI anyway so having it separate is kind of superfluous... again getting the batteries is the hard part

Comment

You might be interested in item that Battery Hookup has these back in stock again these are very good batteries you might receive them very - very discharged but they will charge back up with no issues and they will have very close to the rated milliamperes hour rating that they claim to have I have tested several different packs and I just bought 4 more of them to have enough for a project that I have in mind

https://batteryhookup.com/products/8...-cells-ibh9100

If you want to buy some do not wait very long because they will be out of them again
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

3.8 * 3.2 * 8 for $8 = 12Wh/$
                          BH also has those 3.75V 5AH used packs 19 for $25 = 14Wh/$
                          Also need to +shipping... how much do they charge?

Think there are more options there... just tough to choose...

Comment

3.8 * 3.2 * 8 for $8 = 12Wh/$
                            BH also has those 3.75V 5AH used packs 19
                            for $25 = 14Wh/$
                            I have not tried these battery packs because they pouch battery packs and I am not a big fan of them
                            Because they have two different types of metal for the battery terminals and unless you have a certain type of battery stud welder they become useless one terminal you can solder to but not the other terminal if you happen to tear off the soldering tab you can not solder to the remaining terminal

Also need to +shipping... how much do they charge?
                            it starts at $16.00 based on weight once you go beyond a certain amount of weight then the cost goes up

Think there are more options there... just tough to choose...
                            From time to time they have modern battery pack this is a good option if you do not mind a little bit of work to open them up but they have been out of stock for a while now ( but the problem is that you do not know what brand of batteries you are going to get this is the reason I do not mention them as an option )

They have an option for 10 pound ( power tool battery packs ) for a certain amount of money I do not recommend this option because most of them will be bad cells not worth the cost nor the time to see if there are batteries that could be salvaged there are nicad battery packs in this mix I bought this one time never again
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-28-2021, 02:32 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

ouch $16 shipping means to reduce shipping to less than 10% need to order $150... hmm...

still wondering about that other pack available locally - no shipping... but cell quality is questionable...

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                Here is an update on these battery packs that I bought

This battery pack does give me 7800 milliamperes hours like it suppose to and the BMS protection board does work correctly this battery pack will be used as it for my LED yard light

Here are the exact results 7739 milliamperes hours @ 27.001 volts which is close enough to 7800 milliamperes hours in my book
                                Well here is the data on all four battery packs
                                One was 7400 milliamperes hours after cycling them several times before it reaches this point each battery cell 2100 tested separately charging and discharging curves look not very good but battery still can be used in other devices

Two were at 7600 after two cycles at 24 volts cutoff

One was 7800 was at after only one ( rechecked results) cycle at 24 volts cutoff voltage best performance battery out of the 4 battery packs that I bought
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is something you might be interested in

https://batteryhookup.com/products/2...-cells-molicel
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is something new at BH

https://batteryhookup.com/products/p...ah-18650-cells
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

hmm... dang... need to know exact shipping costs...

Comment

hmm... dang... need to know exact shipping costs...
                                        Here is how you do this put the items in your cart and go to the screen for shipping and it tell you what the cost is and I have never have been charged for more than what it has been shown

Or tell me what item you are interested in and how many you want and your zip code and good fictional address near you and I can tell you what the shipping cost will be

The most that I have been charged for shipping is $22.00 for 30 pounds this is why they use FedEx and not UPS

For this item

https://batteryhookup.com/products/2...v-power-module

One note if your total is more than $100.00 you have to sign for this order

I will caution you that if you do this more than 2 times on different items and you do not sign out of your account it gets confused and will not give you the correct shipping cost just wait a few minutes and go back to what you are interested in and put it in your cart but it will give you an error message that it can not calculate correctly

One other note be aware that when it gives you a delivery date do not be surprised if it does not change at least one or more times if it tells you Saturday or Sunday it might be Monday unless it says that it is out for delivery this is one reason I am not a big fan of FedEx delivery service but they are cheaper than UPS but they are more reliable than FedEx most of time when it comes to telling you when to expect your delivery
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-31-2021, 05:36 AM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                          Here is something you might be interested in

https://batteryhookup.com/products/2...-cells-molicel
                                          Quantity 2 = $16.65 shipping to my address
                                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-31-2021, 05:21 AM.
                                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                          1 Dell Mother Board
                                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                          X