Picture disappears after minutes Hitatchi 42PD3200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture disappears after minutes Hitatchi 42PD3200

Game monitor. Green snow/haze issue since getting it, but worked acceptable for few years. Then it got worse, tweaked voltages and works fine again and mounted it on a stand with wheels, but no sound so had to go through the issue of taking it off (2 person job), find that I forgot to hook up soundamplifier PCB and remount it (3 person job).

But now it developed a new issue: it works fine, but after a few minutes, the screen goes black.
    I am pretty sure the on-screen volume control does not show either, but the sound still does work (so it does not go into some protection mode).

Questions: when googling "plasma picture goes dark" it keeps mentioning shining with a torch to see if it still has some (dark) picture showing but without the back-light being ON, but plasma's don't have a back-light, correct?
    Other likely culprits (again, according to google) are capacitors on the power supplies, but Tom66 mentions in his repairthread that it is not likely a powersupply fault if you still have sound.
    He does mention "if you have sound and the TV will respond normally - then it's likely a Y-sustain or Z-sustain fault." But I am not sure what would cause it to function normally for a while before going into 'errormode', so I was hoping this would trigger some great ideas on where to look from you lot before having to take it down again...

Thanks!
    Last edited by r-p; 02-28-2018, 04:41 AM.

Re: Picture disappears after minutes Hitatchi 42PD3200

Is the time to picture off from cold consistent if so perhaps warm up triggers the problem. Also switch off just for a few seconds and back on and what happens?

Comment

Re: Picture disappears after minutes Hitatchi 42PD3200

We decommissioned it because it displayed the failure-mode (=going black) on about 4 separate occasions on two different days.

I just played on it for 15 minutes and it won't go black whereas before it would do so within 5 minutes.

I will remove the temporary 26" in front of it and make it the main gaming monitor again. It will undoubtedly fail again once the kids go play on it in the not too distant future and I will answer your questions then. Thank you for now for taking an interest!

BTW: when getting it because it was 'broken' years ago, Google told me Plasma's Always overheat so I added a load of fans on the internal heatsinks and they are always running. I just turned them off but still no failure mode.

Comment

Working...
      X