No announcement yet.

technika tv, 32 inch,capacitor replacement question, useful advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: technika tv, 32 inch,capacitor replacement question, useful advice needed

Originally posted by R_J View Post
    The component location number is next to the component on the board (sometimes it is on the bottom as well) This number will be next to the component in the schematic.

The board number can be located anywhere and can be more than one, this one is 17PW20 V2. The schematic for these boards can be hard to work with as the schematic covers many similar boards with some components installed in some and missing in others.
    Thanks. On my tv there are 2 boards, one containing the connectors such as scart etc and the other connections and there is also another board in the photos on here, the board which i am referring to, are both these boards known as pcbs ?

Comment

it's Y1 class

Comment

Originally posted by rustinjust View Post
        Thanks. On my tv there are 2 boards, one containing the connectors such as scart etc and the other connections and there is also another board in the photos on here, the board which i am referring to, are both these boards known as pcbs ?
        pcb stands for printed circuit boards your tv i think has a power supply pcb (board that has blown capacitor on) the mainboard pcb board with hdmi etc on and a tcon pcb board that goes too the lcd panel. I would just replace the bad capacitor if it was my set.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
          pcb stands for printed circuit boards your tv i think has a power supply pcb (board that has blown capacitor on) the mainboard pcb board with hdmi etc on and a tcon pcb board that goes too the lcd panel. I would just replace the bad capacitor if it was my set.
          I was going to have a go at replacing the capacitor as ive never soldered one on, but ive found a replacement board off ebay for only £5 which has been tested as working so im going to pick it up today from a reconditioned electronics place not far from me. ....Its from the same model of tv but the only difference is my board says 17pw20v2 and the one off ebay is listed as 17pw20.1, he said it should work. Whats the difference and upon fittting the board do i need to program anything with the remote for it to work, or should it work straight off ? My tv has built in freeview tv as is standars, though thats probably not relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            important question is is it across mains (X1 class) or between the primary and secondary (Y1 class)
            Can you explain what this means ? Thanks

Comment

you really need to measure the size of the old capacitor for lead spacing etc.
              The old cap is 15/16 mm width. Is this standard size for film caps used in tvs ?

Comment

The old cap is 15/16 mm width. Is this standard size for film caps used in tvs ?
                i was only asking too confirm the ebay link i sent you was the correct and it was.

Comment

I was going to have a go at replacing the capacitor as ive never soldered one on, but ive found a replacement board off ebay for only £5 which has been tested as working so im going to pick it up today from a reconditioned electronics place not far from me. ....Its from the same model of tv but the only difference is my board says 17pw20v2 and the one off ebay is listed as 17pw20.1, he said it should work. Whats the difference and upon fittting the board do i need to program anything with the remote for it to work, or should it work straight off ? My tv has built in freeview tv as is standars, though thats probably not relevant.
                  it should work fine just connect all connections etc no programming etc as thats all done on the mainboard.
                  just be careful lifting the old power supply out of the tv as even turned off and unplugged the large capacitors can hold a large voltage and give a nasty shock so holed the old power supply on the edges when removing it.

Comment

it should work fine just connect all connections etc no programming etc as thats all done on the mainboard.
                    just be careful lifting the old power supply out of the tv as even turned off and unplugged the large capacitors can hold a large voltage and give a nasty shock so holed the old power supply on the edges when removing it.
                    Thanks. Ive already taken the old one out before i saw your message. I just uplugged the leads clips and the connector from the power lead too.

Cheers for the info though, the last thing i wanna do is get a bad shock. Is touching any part of the board liable to produice a shock or just touching the large capacitor parts?

Home soon to try out the replacement reconditioned board that i bought. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Thanks. Ive already taken the old one out before i saw your message. I just uplugged the leads clips and the connector from the power lead too.

Cheers for the info though, the last thing i wanna do is get a bad shock. Is touching any part of the board liable to produice a shock or just touching the large capacitor parts?

Home soon to try out the replacement reconditioned board that i bought. Fingers crossed.
                      Its usually the larger caps that gives you the shock but fingers when picking up the board could touch the tracks that are linked too the caps so always best pick up from the edges.

Comment

Its usually the larger caps that gives you the shock but fingers when picking up the board could touch the tracks that are linked too the caps so always best pick up from the edges.
                        Do you know of any ways to discharge the board/caps to prevent potential shock ?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TcVZ2opuNc&t=80s

Comment

Great. Will check it out tomorrow

Right, its time to head off home. Kettle on for a cup of tea then will fit the board that i got today. Cheers everyone

Comment

Update: i fitted the board and my tv works great once again. A question though; the board i took out was 17PW20 v2, and the replacement one i fitted was 17PW20.1, what is the difference ?

I kinda wish id had a go at soldering on a cap as ive not tried it before. I also picked up a soldering iron from the supermarket Lidl in the bargain bin for £5 and it comes with some solder and stand etc.
                              Last edited by rustinjust; 06-11-2022, 06:50 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Update: i fitted the board and my tv works great once again. A question though; the board i took out was 17PW20 v2, and the replacement one i fitted was 17PW20.1, what is the difference ?

I kinda wish id had a go at soldering on a cap as ive not tried it before. I also picked up a soldering iron from the supermarket Lidl in the bargain bin for £5 and it comes with some solder and stand etc.
                                v2 could mean they have just updated the design as found faults etc with v1 does it look identical too you?
                                Reparing your old board is always a option now as its spare you could order the capacitor and give it ago.
                                i would advise buying some desoldering braid or vacume desoldering pump just makes removing solder from old capacitor joints easier. Examples below
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234338710...3ABFBM2q7Nrapg
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153400963...3ABFBMrPLZrapg
                                Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-11-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

v2 could mean they have just updated the design as found faults etc with v1 does it look identical too you?
                                  Reparing your old board is always a option now as its spare you could order the capacitor and give it ago.
                                  i would advise buying some desoldering braid or vacume desoldering pump just makes removing solder from old capacitor joints easier.
                                  The board looks identical apart from missing a port for ribbon connection, but on the original board it wasnt used. Im guessing they use these boards for various brand tvs ?

Yes, i may order a cap and have a go. Am i right in thinking i only solder the underside?

Comment

The board looks identical apart from missing a port for ribbon connection, but on the original board it wasnt used. Im guessing they use these boards for various brand tvs ?

Yes, i may order a cap and have a go. Am i right in thinking i only solder the underside?
                                    yes just solder from underside heres a video that will give you a rough idea whats needed
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7yW9FigJA
                                    Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-11-2022, 07:11 AM.

Comment

yes just solder from underside heres a video that will give you a rough idea whats needed
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7yW9FigJA
                                      Great, ta.

Comment

Working...
                                      X