X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tivo HD will not transfer files ....

Not sure where to post this, thought this might be the best place

Tivo setup:
    Tivo 1 - Tivo HD, Monthly service (ancient, over 10 years old)
    Tivo 2 - Tivo HD, Monthly service (ancient, over 10 years old)
    Tivo 3 - Tivo HD XL, eBay Tivo with Lifetime service (newer but still old)

Yes I am the idiot that paid monthly for all these years. I found a broken Tivo HD XL with lifetime service on eBay for $40 (Tivo 3), I bought it, it was a bad power supply, I re-capped it, good as new. So the plan was to cancel Tivo 1 and use Tivo 3 in it's stead. So I backed up everything I want off Tivo 1 onto Tivo 2 using the transfer functionality from the Now Playing Menu. Goes fine. I then get Tivo 3 setup up and working, works great. I then cancel the service for Tivo 1 and stick it in the closet for spare parts

So now I have Tivo 2 and Tivo 3 up and running. I want to get the programs I backed up from Tivo 1, that are sitting on Tivo 2, onto Tivo 3. And I am having problems. Here are the issues:

- If I try to transfer directly from the Now Playing list of Tivo 3, I can see Tivo 2, if I go into that I see the list of programs on Tivo 2, but when I try and transfer anything, it doesn't start and eventually errors out saying there is a network problem

- I installed Tivo Desktop on a PC, with that it sees the Tivo 2, but when I go to get a list programs, it counts the first show (it says 1/46) then I get a network connection error and nothing. If I select Tivo 3, it works with that Tivo just fine

- I installed kmttg, it sees the HD, when I try and pull a list it eventually errors out with

Code:
    "https://192.168.68.110/TiVoConnect?C...AnchorOffset=0
    http IO exception for: https://192.168.68.110/TiVoConnect?...aying&Recurse=Yes&ItemCount=32&Anch orOffset=0
    Unexpected end of file from server
    Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from Bedroom Tivo
    Check YOUR MAK & IP settings
    - If I go to the https:// of the IP address of Tivo 2, sometimes it does prompt me for the login, I enter tivo and the MAK, but then it just sits there and does nothing. Sometimes I get a Server busy/Out of memory message, and at that point the Tivo becomes unresponsive and needs to be rebooted. Going to the https:// screen of Tivo 3 works fine.

- I installed pyTivo, it sees both Tivo's, it works with Tivo 3 fine, for Tivo 2, it just hangs forever trying to populate the Now playing list

- I set a static IP and DNS (using googles DNS servers), didnt make a difference

I have rebooted Tivo 2 and the PC's multiple times. Something seems wrong with the network stack of Tivo 2. It does everything else just fine, Live TV, playback, recording all work as expected. But I cannot get programs off this thing. I was able to transfer programs to it no problem, but I cannot get them off.

Any ideas? Could it be possibly hardware related?

Re: Tivo HD will not transfer files ....

not sure but maybe you can't do it because your service is canceled:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...tivo/21495221/
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 07-02-2022, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      not sure but maybe you can't do it because your service is canceled:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...tivo/21495221/
      I checked online, and also called Tivo customer service, my account on Tivo 2 (which is the one that I can't transfer programs out of) is in good standing.

The Tivo itself is discoverable by all these apps, but when you try and access the Tivo, the network stack on the device fails. Also I didnt mention it but the Tivo is on a Wired connection.

Do you think it could possibly be a hardware issue? I will pop the cover off later and see if I see anything obviously wrong, if not I will check out any components near the ethernet port. I can also check diode readings on the chips and compare them to readings I can take off my other Tivo (which always worked fine).

Comment

I hooked up the Tivo to a Wireless adapter, bypassing the Ethernet port, and still no dice, so it would not seem to be an ethernet port issue

Comment

did you reboot the modem, and router if used? is the router seeing both devices?

Comment

did you reboot the modem, and router if used? is the router seeing both devices?
            I did reboot the router, and the router does see both devices, both has IP addresses assigned. The tivo can also successfully connect to the Tivo service. It's just on copying files the network connection fails.

Comment

Is there a transfer limit ? You can copy to one Tivo but not from that to another.
              Windows 10 wasn't involved for the copying was it ? I've seen it do weird things with file permissions.
              Setting google as your DNS wouldn't make a difference, that's external DNS only, depending on your setup it would be your router/modem that does your internal DNS.

Comment

wonder if their server is not working correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  Is there a transfer limit ? You can copy to one Tivo but not from that to another.
                  Windows 10 wasn't involved for the copying was it ? I've seen it do weird things with file permissions.
                  Setting google as your DNS wouldn't make a difference, that's external DNS only, depending on your setup it would be your router/modem that does your internal DNS.
                  there is no transfer limit that I know if.

The initial Transfer was Tivo -> Tivo, no PC required. After Tivo <- Tivo failed, I tried using a PC as an intermediary, to no avail. No Windows 10 here, all Windows 7. I've tried 2 different physical PC's and a VM all with identical results so I don't think thats the issue.

wonder if their server is not working correctly.
                  Since the other Tivo works flawlessly I do not think it is an external issue.

Comment

head scratcher, there's this, don't know if it applies tho: Note that some shows cannot be transferred due to copyright restrictions placed upon them by the content owners. These shows are marked with a red circle-slash.

Comment

head scratcher, there's this, don't know if it applies tho: Note that some shows cannot be transferred due to copyright restrictions placed upon them by the content owners. These shows are marked with a red circle-slash.
                      These are shows transferred from another Tivo. So there are transferrable.

Comment

ok, wasn't sure if they had already been transferred or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X