technika tv, 32 inch,capacitor replacement question, useful advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

technika tv, 32 inch,capacitor replacement question, useful advice needed

I have a technika tv, 32 inch, around 10 years or so in age and last night when watching tv i heard a hissing sound and the next thing i saw smoke coming out the back of the tv, i instantly unplugged the tv. I took the back off tv to expose power board, then plugged in tv and saw smoke coming out of a capacitor, i will try and attach a photo below, see below for attachments of board and cap, and keep reading, maybe you can advise ?

The cap says on it: 105kj450mff4. This doesn't mean a lot to me as i'm an amateur when it comes to electronics, though i've undertaken some repairs such as fixing a washing machine replacing the carbon brushes etc.

Although its a cheap tv id like to have a go at fixing it by soldering on a replacement cap. Also near to the cap that blew is another of the same type and same numbers written on it. This seems ok.

My question: which replacement cap do i need to purchase ? Can anyone advise which one i need to buy, or a link to one etc ? Much appreciated if you can advise on what the numbers on the cap mean too and which cap to buy, not too cheap, nor too expensive, but something that will work, be reliable for a few more years.
    Attached Files

Re: technika tv, 32 inch,capacitor replacement question, useful advice needed

105=10x00000pF=1.000nF=1uF/450V
    Conclusion: 1 microfarad at 450 volts. Non-polarized.

Comment

More Mff - Metallized Polyester Film Capacitor.

Comment

ignore wrong thread sorry
        Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-07-2022, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yokoono View Post
          105=10x00000pF=1.000nF=1uF/450V
          Conclusion: 1 microfarad at 450 volts. Non-polarized.
          Thanks and can you advise what replacement cap i should purchase? Im here in the u.k so from a uk source online would be ideal. Link something if possible. Im new to this but im going to have a go at soldering on a replacement cap. One thats reasonable quality but not too expensive would be ideal

Would any of these work ? https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...iABEgJkjfD_BwE

or https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...2105JA/1635187
          Last edited by rustinjust; 06-08-2022, 06:49 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Depending on the position in which it is placed on the power supply, the capacitor is part of an EMI filter. Power supply works very well without it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustinjust View Post
              Thanks and can you advise what replacement cap i should purchase? Im here in the u.k so from a uk source online would be ideal. Link something if possible. Im new to this but im going to have a go at soldering on a replacement cap. One thats reasonable quality but not too expensive would be ideal

Would any of these work ? https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...iABEgJkjfD_BwE

or https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...2105JA/1635187
              Those capacitors are only 250v you should replace like for like 450v as this is a one off repair have a look on ebay as maybe cheaper shipping too.
              £2.95 on ebay delivered 1uf 450 v 15mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265197356....c100667.m2042
              Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-08-2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                Those capacitors are only 250v you should replace like for like 450v as this is a one off repair have a look on ebay as maybe cheaper shipping too.
                £2.95 on ebay delivered 1uf 450 v 15mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265197356....c100667.m2042
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by yokoono View Post
                  Depending on the position in which it is placed on the power supply, the capacitor is part of an EMI filter. Power supply works very well without it.
                  Ive attached a photo, its near to the top right in the photo attached to this, there are 2 of them, the one nearest the top is blown, the one on the slopping angle, its like that because i put it back in for the reasons of the photo.

Do you mean the tv may work ok without the capacitor on? It's removed ( the cap) but ive not tried the tv yet.

Also, what is an emi filter ? Im a novice at this stuff and gathering information as i go
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by rustinjust; 06-08-2022, 09:04 AM. Reason: make adjustment to description

Comment

The EMI filter is a filter that stops the oscillations from the power supply to reach the voltage network. Anti-oscillation filter. It can disturb medium-wave radios.

Comment

Originally posted by rustinjust View Post
                      Thanks
                      you really need to measure the size of the old capacitor for lead spacing etc.

Comment

Too bad you never mention the model number, board number or even the caps location number. So I will guess that it is a 17PW15-9 and the location is C802 and if it IS this cap, you can try the tv with it removed.
                        Last edited by R_J; 06-08-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                          Too bad you never mention the model number, board number or even the caps location number. So I will guess that it is a 17PW15-9 and the location is C802 and if it IS this cap, you can try the tv with it removed.
                          possibly a 17pw20

Comment

Yes, it seems to be the 17pw20, C802 is the location and it should operate without it installed for testing, but should be replaced.

Comment

important question is is it across mains (X1 class) or between the primary and secondary (Y1 class)

Comment

Yes, it seems to be the 17pw20, C802 is the location and it should operate without it installed for testing, but should be replaced.
                                If it isnt replaced could it cause problems with the tv operation ?

Comment

Its a 17pw20 v2 and im not sure where the board number is, im new to this so learning as i go, i have a name and number on the board, its a tehlikelli canli bolge and somewhere else on the board is written a number of: 260707 if thats the board number ?

Comment

17pw20
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                                      17pw20
                                      Im not sure how to read a wiring diagram/schematics as im starting out in electronics. Is there a resource on here to understand it or a book/video/online thing you can recommend ?

Also where is the number of the board usually written or where on my board will it be ?

Comment

The component location number is next to the component on the board (sometimes it is on the bottom as well) This number will be next to the component in the schematic.

The board number can be located anywhere and can be more than one, this one is 17PW20 V2. The schematic for these boards can be hard to work with as the schematic covers many similar boards with some components installed in some and missing in others.

Comment

Working...
                                        X