Sound through modern Radeons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound through modern Radeons?

I remember back in the day when AMD Radeons HD 2000 and later 3000 were the thing, they were able to pass audio through DVI ports (either using directly DVI to HDMI cables, or their DVI-HDMI dongles and than HDMI cables).

Is this still valid, or was that deprecated over years without anybody saying anything? In particular, appears that customers DisplayPorts died on a Haswell Lenovo desktop, it does not detect anything in any of them, so I gave up. Since he also plays some things like tanks or stuff on it, I have Dell's OEM variant of R5 340X on the way from Britanistan (need low-profile card so not that much of a choice). It's at least twice as fast as Haswell IGPU, with DP (again ) and DVI. Been thinking, he's hooking TV to that, could that DVI transmit sound as well, making it possible to reduce one cable (audio 3,5mm)?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Sound through modern Radeons?

looks like sound was indeed working over the DP-HDMI adapter

however, card started acting up pretty soon, which resulted me in installing a GT 1030 which is still about twice as fast, and they dropped to reasonable price since last summer

testing the card now reveals VRAM is not able to handle the overclock Dell put on it - being a rebranded R7 250 - while they underclocked the GPU, anybody gets that? if the GPU will be stable at 1000/1050 MHz, which it should, I'll either reflash FW to original R7 250, or at least download this one and tweak the clocks to what the card can handle

(according to userbenchmark, the R7 250, having 100 MHz more on GPU, but 100 MHz less on VRAM, is couple dozen percent faster; what sense do the Dell's changes make at all???)
    Last edited by Behemot; 02-22-2023, 09:20 PM.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Can confirm they still output audio - got a HD7870, R9 280 and 280x, and even a R7 265 - all can output audio through HDMI (even through DVI-HDMI adapter!) and they beat nVidia's audio output by a long mile.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

through HDMI for sure, by definition, what I was not sure about were the DVI-HDMI adapters, thanks for confirming m8

Comment

Grab an HD7570. It will have reasonably close performance to the R5 340x, but it's built on the older 40 nm "Turks" core, IIRC, so a little less failure prone. These are plentiful in low-profile form with DVI and DP. Just note that both DDR3 and gDDR5 versions of these exist (with the latter obviously being a little faster if the card is expected to do some 3D work.)

Comment

why

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Grab an HD7570. It will have reasonably close performance to the R5 340x, but it's built on the older 40 nm "Turks" core, IIRC, so a little less failure prone.
              I don't agree with that, the worst time for reliability of ATi/AMD GPU seem to be around the HD 6000 series, I wouldn't trust a HD 7000, and the lower end ones are mostly just rebadged HD 6000 anyway.
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

As an addendum to this thread, I bought myself 2x Dell HD7570 LP cards with the 1GB gDDR5 RAM. $14 total shipped to my door (that's $7 per card with the shipping included) - not bad at all, IMO.
                Both work fine and are relatively clean. Their fans are a little loud, especially under load if I set a more reasonable cooling fan profile through MSI Afterburner... but they run quite alright.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                why
                It's nearly the same thing as the R5 340/x, but usually is a little (or a little more) cheaper, because these were really popular LP "workstation" cards and are now getting dumped all over the used market.

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                I don't agree with that, the worst time for reliability of ATi/AMD GPU seem to be around the HD 6000 series, I wouldn't trust a HD 7000, and the lower end ones are mostly just rebadged HD 6000 anyway.
                I think we've had this discussion somewhere in a thread before.
                I disagree as well. I think the HD 7k and R7/R9 series (especially high-end) is the least reliable from what I've seen so far. I'd rate the HD 6k closer to the 5k series in terms of reliability... though it probably also matters which market segment we are talking about too. The low-end non-mobile stuff, such as HD 5450, 5570, 6450, 6570, and 7570 (re-badged 6570) have small cores and are pretty reliable. The mid-range stuff (HD 5750/5770, 6670/6770, 7670, 7770) is so-so. And the high-end 7k stuff is undoubtedly the worst... though if I have to be fair, the RX 400 and 500 series also doesn't look that great. Scrolling through the GPU section here, it seems almost all new cards are pretty (and equally) unreliable nowadays - both from ATI/AMD and nVidia.

I suppose we should just consider modern silicone as disposable after a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  I suppose we should just consider modern silicone as disposable after a few years.
                  and because of this I refuse to pay the price demanded for them

Comment

my msi rx580 Armor have VERY distorted sound when GPU is near idle, example when i play older games like Bioshock trilogy

it is known problem. have anybody solution for it?

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                      it is known problem. have anybody solution for it?
                      What are you doing NOT mining on that?

Jokes aside, solution is to disable PowerPlay or whatever they call it these days, you know, that feature that downclocks the GPU aggressively. Also try disabling the frame limiter.

If all else fails, start mining XMR on it.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

use onboard sound codec?

momaka: even that R5 is laughably slow, why on earth I'd get even slower card? it was meant for gaming, even though mild

BTW that R5 is unable to run the VRAM on that overclocked frequency any longer, so, when I get to that, I'll change the clocks back to the original ones of 1000 MHz/GPU, 1800 MHz/VRAM (currently its 900/2000 MHz) of R7 250, that's what the card actually is. It is actually even faster on that setting, go figure.

That prick from UK stopped responding when I confirmed the card is bad and what's the reason. Yeah, it's like 10 months since I bought it, but it started acting up after two or three months…
                        Last edited by piernov; 05-01-2023, 09:52 AM.

Comment

use onboard sound codec?
                          A lot of newer TVs seem to cut corners everywhere possible. The port department is one of those places too. I see new TVs have almost nothing for input, except maybe a handful HDMI ports and Ethernet. Analog inputs, if any, are very limited these days (typically a 4-pin 3.5 mm port with a "splitter" adapter for component/composite input). So when trying to use the HDMI to output video and audio to a TV, the onboard MB becomes kinda useless. (unless you're like me and don't care, so just run an external oldschool amp & speaker setup. )

momaka: even that R5 is laughably slow, why on earth I'd get even slower card? it was meant for gaming, even though mild
                          Because those HD6570/7570 at least last for a while. Been gaming on one (HD7570 2GB DDR3, HP-branded, full height) for the past year, and my CPU (single Xeon E5649) seems to be more of a limitation in modern games (namely GTA V and Fortnite) than the GPU.

Yes, the Turks core is outdated for gaming... and actually, I think the R5 340x is even slower (despite Techpowerup claiming otherwise) due to 64-bit RAM. So with that said, the R7 250 isn't thaaat much faster than an HD7570, if at all (probably hardly noticeable.) Core-wise, R7 250 has less shaders than Turks (384 vs 480), but it makes up for that with its faster core clock (1 GHz vs 650 Mhz.) RAM-wise, they are very similar when it comes to the gDDR5 versions.

That prick from UK stopped responding when I confirmed the card is bad and what's the reason. Yeah, it's like 10 months since I bought it, but it started acting up after two or three months…
                          That's why I avoid the R7/R9 series with a passion. Every once in a while, I'll buy an R9 280/290/380/390 just for the cooler if the price is low enough. I'm actually eye-balling a few right now that have free shipping and going for $10 starting bid. I couldn't give a damn about what card I get or what condition it's in - those 2/3-heatpiper coolers are worth much more than the card.

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                          and because of this I refuse to pay the price demanded for them
                          Same.
                          I only get stuff when I see them hit scrap prices.

I got a Sapphire HD5830 several years back for about $15 shipped to my door. Was sold "as-is" and seemed quite dusty and sketchy (looked possibly reflowed.) It had a good cooler though, so I grabbed it just for that. Card turned out to work fine and I managed to get about 2 years worth of my occasional light gaming through it. And now that it died recently, I still have the cooler from it. So I still got my money's worth.

The HP 7570 was its replacement... and to my surprise, it didn't run slower compared to the 5830 due to CPU bottlenecks I've had with my system. On the upside, I'm using a lot less power... which is a good thing for the summer months, but irrelevant for the winter months.
                          Last edited by momaka; 05-01-2023, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X