GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) fails to power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) fails to power on

Hey guys, I've got a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) that stopped powering on one day. Pressing the power button on the pc the manual power button LED on the board will come on and glow, and the LED on the ASUS ROG Radeon RX 480 8GB will come on and glow. The power supply is not turning on and powering anything up when this happens. I've jumped the power supply green and black wire and then the power supply will turn on and I can hear all of my hard drives spin up but there is no sign that the motherboard is doing anything. I've tried pulling all accessories off to ensure nothing else is causing the issue, gfx card, ram.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it but before it stopped working completely the pc for probably about 6 months got to where the keyboard would stop working randomly, I connected another keyboard only to find out it was doing the same thing. What would happen is the keyboard would not type at all randomly, I would either have to restart or I could go into the device manager, delete the device, and scan for new hardware, and once installed it would go back to working fine. It only did this a handful of times over this time frame.

Re: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) fails to power on

i think that it's good that the power light comes up steady
    i had problem with a mouse not working with a board powered by a fairly new Aywun PSU,
    so changed the power supply and didn't have that issue again
    have you got another power supply that you can swap it with?

Comment

The only other power supply I have is one from a Dell PC, not even sure if that one could power this board though.

Comment

Looks like it's not going to use much power at all if it's unloaded
        "What’s more, it delivers this level of performance without consuming too much power. The Z170X-Gaming 7 used just 26W while idling"
        You can also remove the graphics card and leave just one stick of RAM in, to lessen the load
        That's what i'd do anyway.
        The motherboard also has a POST code indicator next to the ATX connector - might pay to take note of what it displays
        Last edited by socketa; 05-22-2022, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I removed the ram, gfx card, all drives, I tested powering it after removing each component. Yes, it has a post display but it will not show anything. When I plug the PC in and hit the power button, the red power, the overclock and the eco buttons light up. But absolutely nothing turns on, the power supply stays off unless I jump the two out on the main harness. At that point the fans and drives will spin up but no signs of anything from the mb.

Comment

So it looks like the issue is with the motherboard.
            Does either the power supply fan, or the CPU fan, twitch slightly when pushing the power button?

Comment

No, everything is dark on the motherboard when I first plug it in. As soon as I hit the power button, the red power led button on the board will light up but there is nothing else happening...no fan movement on anything. When I had my RX 480 gfx card installed I could see the led status lights on it glowing but I'm guessing something has gone faulty on the motherboard.
              Last edited by ctroxtell; 05-22-2022, 01:31 PM.

Comment

higher end motherboard will have LED or diagnostic code. if you can tell where it runs to, it will help

Comment

With the PC turned off and unplugged, you can remove and check the voltage of the RTC battery, and, if good, put it back in
                  With the battery back in, and PC turned off and unplugged, you can try pushing the CMOS_SW to reset it.
                  You've probably done that already though.
                  Since the power LED comes on when you push the power button that means that the I/O chip (or what ever chip the power switch connects to) is probably OK,
                  And the VRM MOSFETs are probaly OK because the fans don't twitch from short circuit protection.
                  I'd also try a different stick of RAM in a different slot.
                  I think that that metal cylinder to the right of the battery is the RTC crystal, so just for fun you could check to see if there is any voltage on either of its legs - on the one that i'm trying to fix i get a +0.8V to -0.8V AC waveform to earth, but it doesn't come up as anywhere near that on any of my multimeters on AC selection - but i get about 0.6V on DC selection (maybe it just measures the positive half of the cycle), because the meter appears to pull some voltage away from it, and knock it down a bit

Comment

Making progress, power button causes motherboard to power on now, but no POST display

The CMOS battery is at 3.115v, I hit the CMOS-SW to reset it. That made a few changes...everything appears to start up. The power supply turns on, hard drives spin up and the case fans start. Unfortunately, the POST display is still blank, when power hits it the monitor can see something is attached but says there is no data coming from the pc. The gfx card lights up, but none of the 3 fans attached to it spin in this state...from what I remember these fans seemed to spin as soon as power was turned on to it but I could be wrong.

Comment

It works!

Started messing with my computer again, since everything would start up I hit the CMOS reset and the reset switch next to it. The post display lit back up and the computer booted as if nothing had happened. So I'm not sure what in the world caused this issue.

Comment

Re: It works!

Originally posted by ctroxtell View Post
                        Started messing with my computer again, since everything would start up I hit the CMOS reset and the reset switch next to it. The post display lit back up and the computer booted as if nothing had happened. So I'm not sure what in the world caused this issue.

likely you motherboard is running random bios code. once you get it running and stable, install the bios again.

Comment

Re: It works!

Originally posted by anikin73 View Post
                          likely you motherboard is running random bios code. once you get it running and stable, install the bios again.
                          Been messing with computers for 20+ years, never seen this happen. Are you saying the bios could be corrupt? I'll reflash it and see what I get. I had to disconnect everything for some cable management and noticed when I plugged it back in it went to acting up again, had to hit the CMOS reset. Thanks for the information and insight.

Comment

Well something else just happened. Was using the PC and it just went off, no signs of booting. Pushing the CMOS reset button causes the LEDs to light up for a split second and then goes back off. Removing power and applying power the display to light up on the board and it got to 32, 35, 45 and went dark. after the LEDs and the code display goes off it won't light up again till I remove power or hit CMOS reset. Wondering if this is the end of the road for her this time...
                            Last edited by ctroxtell; 12-06-2023, 09:57 PM.

Comment

My guess is one of the voltage regulator on you board is not working well. so when it loading too much, the regulator will shut down itself. You need some fully check of the mobo.
                              It's an old model though, so maybe not bad idea to have a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X