Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo tx-nr414 shutting off after few seconds

Hello good day to all!

Recently I managed to get some time to troubleshoot this Onkyo av receiver which would not turn on display and was shutting off before there is any info on screen.

I accidentally found fuse (4A 250V) f201 blown and replaced it with what I had in hand (6A 250v same package)

I thought that replacing that would solve everything but never the less that was not whole story...

All I have resolved is that I have a few more seconds (2-4) with now working LCD display...

I am not sure though if replacing optocouplers was necessary (might be that my DMM was low on battery).

I am getting a 11.5ish volts on HDMI board where there should be a 9v on JL901a HDMI board 9v output

I managed to update firmware to latest by eliminating unit shut off (by unplugging the p8001 flat cable which connects a HDMI board and vertical side board U0033 leading to U0010).

I checked amplifier transistors multiple times.

Any help will be appreciated!
    Last edited by Tamo Neko; 05-09-2022, 12:58 AM.

Re: Onkyo tx-nr414 shutting off after few seconds

And there are about 10volts at vprotect line after that unit imediatly shuts off...

Comment

Originally posted by Tamo Neko View Post
      Hello good day to all!

Recently I managed to get some time to troubleshoot this Onkyo av receiver which would not turn on display and was shutting off before there is any info on screen.

I accidentally found fuse (4A 250V) f201 blown and replaced it with what I had in hand (6A 250v same package)

I thought that replacing that would solve everything but never the less that was not whole story...

All I have resolved is that I have a few more seconds (2-4) with now working LCD display...

I am not sure though if replacing optocouplers was necessary (might be that my DMM was low on battery).

I am getting a 11.5ish volts on HDMI board where there should be a 9v on JL901a HDMI board 9v output

I managed to update firmware to latest by eliminating unit shut off (by unplugging the p8001 flat cable which connects a HDMI board and vertical side board U0033 leading to U0010).

I checked amplifier transistors multiple times.

Any help will be appreciated!
      The rating of amps on fuses are very important to not cause further harm.
      When a fuse blows it usually indicates that some type of short happen or if one is luck a transient power surge happened. In your case I believe a component was taken out. If you do not have the block diagram and schematics I have attached them.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by keeney123; 05-10-2022, 12:01 AM.

Comment

In service menu it shows vprotect fault...
        Only place where I could find a new soldering points were at first mains relay...
        I double checked almost everything for shorts before replacing that fuse...

Comment

In service menu it shows vprotect fault...
          Only place where I could find a new soldering points were at first mains relay...
          I double checked almost everything for shorts before replacing that fuse...
          If a chip says short out, the short in the chip may draw enough current to damage the chip before the fuse blows. After the chip is damaged then the short is no longer there.

One would have to know how the Programmer/Engineer set up the Voltage protect fault error on the Onkyo to understand what they included in that error.

The Programmer/Engineer could say in his program if some system in the Audio Video Receiver does not turn on I will detect this as a fault. This could be any section of the AVR.

With all that said one. Searching on the PDF I provided, F201 is on page 11. Thats a good starting point.
          On page 11 the F201 fuses is connected to BAETC-1074 part 5. A search of BAETC-1074 is listed on page 14. Which is Transformer T901.
          Because the fuses in the primary winding did not blow, I would look out in the secondary windings.
          Last edited by keeney123; 05-11-2022, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
            If a chip says short out, the short in the chip may draw enough current to damage the chip before the fuse blows. After the chip is damaged then the short is no longer there.

One would have to know how the Programmer/Engineer set up the Voltage protect fault error on the Onkyo to understand what they included in that error.

The Programmer/Engineer could say in his program if some system in the Audio Video Receiver does not turn on I will detect this as a fault. This could be any section of the AVR.

With all that said one. Searching on the PDF I provided, F201 is on page 11. Thats a good starting point.
            On page 11 the F201 fuses is connected to BAETC-1074 part 5. A search of BAETC-1074 is listed on page 14. Which is Transformer T901.
            Because the fuses in the primary winding did not blow, I would look out in the secondary windings.
            Just checked secondary windings on t901 and they are all good...

Comment

Latest update, q6053 and q6063 are overheating in test mode 01-1...
              That is surround left channel *SL*

Comment

Latest update, q6053 and q6063 are overheating in test mode 01-1...
                That is surround left channel *SL*
                Good for You!

Comment

Question do you know where the 56.2 Volt DC is being generated from?

The Q6053 and the Q6063 seem to be power transistors with a heat sink.

From what I understand the power transistors usually are the one that go bad.

Comment

Yes those are output transistors.
                    On page 9 down left ( D6401 TS10B06G-07 ) you can find generated voltages...

They do go bad, but in my case I was lucky as I had thermal camera at the moment when heat wave stroke my forehead... Immediately I turned off the unit and used thermal camera...

Comment

Yes those are output transistors.
                      On page 9 down left ( D6401 TS10B06G-07 ) you can find generated voltages...

They do go bad, but in my case I was lucky as I had thermal camera at the moment when heat wave stroke my forehead... Immediately I turned off the unit and used thermal camera...
                      Smart You are.

I saw the TS10B05G-07 but why to they not specify the actual voltage like the do for the output transistors?
                      Last edited by keeney123; 05-12-2022, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                        Smart You are.

I saw the TS10B05G-07 but why to they not specify the actual voltage like the do for the output transistors?
                        Might be because this bridge rectifier has its input from mains transformer whose output voltage depends on mains input. I think they can not be precise about that. Someone may correct me if I am wrong...

Comment

Might be because this bridge rectifier has its input from mains transformer whose output voltage depends on mains input. I think they can not be precise about that. Someone may correct me if I am wrong...
                          My thinking is if they can be precise on the 56.2V +/- powering the output transistor why would they not be able to list 56.2V from where it comes from?
                          I mean the 56.2 V just does not show up on the output transistors?

Comment

Dont mind, that is me counting disasembly and asembly of this unit...

Comment

Dont mind, that is me counting disasembly and asembly of this unit...
                              Practice makes perfect.

Comment

Can you help me with c6402. When measuring across legs there is continuity. Should that be like that or there is a short somewhere? About 0.6 ohms to be exact...

Comment

Can you help me with c6402. When measuring across legs there is continuity. Should that be like that or there is a short somewhere? About 0.6 ohms to be exact...
                                  You would have to measure the capacitor out of the circuit by lifting on leg of the cap. You maybe are measuring through a diode of the rectifier if you are using a analog meter. Or you can be measuring where ever minus BH1 B goes to ground. A capacitor should show an open on a resistance reading. With a analog meter it might first show continuity and then be opened.
                                  Last edited by keeney123; 05-16-2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Sorry I have not explained well. Checking without capacitor onboard shows that values...
                                    I do think I have checked every capacitor in that rail...But still there is continuity...

Comment

Sorry I have not explained well. Checking without capacitor onboard shows that values...
                                      I do think I have checked every capacitor in that rail...But still there is continuity...
                                      What type of meter are you using?
                                      I know with a Fluke Meter one can get about with-in 7.62cm of where a short may be. How this is done is to hold one resistance probe stationary while moving the other resistance probe. Of course you will be measuring on the lowest resistance setting. As the 0.6 ohms starts to drop you would be getting closer to the short. When you narrow down an area then you move the stationary probe to that area and do the same procedure again until you are with-in 7.62cm or 3" of the short. One then starts to eliminate that area by cutting through the trace to find out which side the short is on which side of the line until you actually find the short. After you repair the short you can scrape the traces where you have cut through and then solder a resistor lead across the cut. Finally take lacquer fingernail polish and coat over the bare repair.

This short may not be a cap it may be a transistor or any other device attached between the rail to ground.
                                      Last edited by keeney123; 05-16-2022, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Brymen 525 with fluke probes...It has resolution in ten miliohms...
                                        I have never tried that as I read that you need at least 10 times more resolution if not 100 times. For doing like that..
                                        I have made a diy micro ohm meter but that is long story for telling why I dont have it anymore.
                                        Last edited by Tamo Neko; 05-16-2022, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X