Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yamaha RX-A3010 working, no sound output

Originally posted by budwich View Post
    looks like you got down to the problem component. Hope you can find a reasonably priced fix and I hope my a1010 does not have the same potential "disaster" waiting for it (or my denon for that matter)... :-(
    Our units ( I also have a1010 ) use D70YE101BRFP266 dsp IC which is not in the list of the failed chips . Also it is not BGA
    Still it is always a good idea to tape heatsinks on the bga ICs.
    By the way, are you happy with the audio quality of the power amp?
    I personally do not like how it sounds and just use the unit as a preamp. For power amp I have a cambridge audio avr.

Comment

I am a glad for this info (chip set). My "golden ears" aren't so golden.... :-) I haven't owned a yamaha before this one but it sounds ok in the HT environment that I use it in with some old jbl "sovereign" speakers along with energy surrounds. I find that the sound environment is better than the denon (4308) but that might be because I haven't spent as much time with the denon in that setup. I was using an onkyo amp as a "switcher" because it could switch a 5 speaker system from one "zone" to another (ie. A / B switching). I could see that the unit makes a good "pre" and that your choice of amp thereafter would be "limitless".

Comment

I wrote to some suppliers, they respond that they have a chinese new year and will get back to me... oh well.

Comment

Hi All,

I want to ask where I can buy the entire Digital/Main PCBA of This Yamaha AV Receiver including this particular Model RX-A3010. I have a lot unit that need to repair.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by kndm17 View Post
            Hi All,

I want to ask where I can buy the entire Digital/Main PCBA of This Yamaha AV Receiver including this particular Model RX-A3010. I have a lot unit that need to repair.

Thanks in advance for your response.
            You need to scavenge ebay and sites that sell scrapped equipment parts like TV boards and such.

I'm currently waiting for delivery of the DSP BGA IC, it's on the way.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

*UPDATE*

After long wait, I have finally received the new DSP BGA chip.

Upon replacement the unit behaves exactly the same way.

It's time to let it go, no point in wasting any more time and money over this rabbit hole.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this diagnosis.

Comment

Hi

Had the same problem with my RX-A2010 and have now solved it.

Checked the possibility to order a new Digital 2 P.C.B. and they are still available for around €100.

I thought I'll first will try to bake the PCB in the oven before I order a replacement.

Placed it on a piece of wood in the oven on 200°C (392°F) for 15 minutes with the DSP2-chip facing down and resting straight with help of the board power socket, chassi mounting and the cable tie that is mounted on the board. I let it cool down and the mounted it again and now it works perfectly and the self diagnostic test are all ok regarding firmware version, checksum and the bus signal on the DSP2.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimMoses View Post
                    Placed it on a piece of wood in the oven on 200°C (392°F) for 15 minutes with the DSP2-chip facing down and resting straight with help of the board power socket, chassi mounting and the cable tie that is mounted on the board. I let it cool down and the mounted it again and now it works perfectly and the self diagnostic test are all ok regarding firmware version, checksum and the bus signal on the DSP2.

Thanks a lot for your tip. I have the same problem and symptoms with my RX-A3020. I suppose my DSP is also faulty.
                    Could you please make a schema or a drawing of your installation in the oven. I'm not sure to understand clearly.

Thanks a lot,
                    Does it still work?
                    Matthieu

Comment

Originally posted by Thieu75 View Post
                      Thanks a lot for your tip. I have the same problem and symptoms with my RX-A3020. I suppose my DSP is also faulty.
                      Could you please make a schema or a drawing of your installation in the oven. I'm not sure to understand clearly.

Thanks a lot,
                      Does it still work?
                      Matthieu
                      Heating up the DSP chip is only for diagnostic purposes, the bond inside the chip is already broken, you can shift the metal around by thermal expansion and it will work for a couple of weeks if you're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Thieu75 View Post
                        Could you please make a schema or a drawing of your installation in the oven. I’m not sure to understand clearly.

Thanks a lot,
                        Does it still work?
                        Matthieu
                        Yes it still works! For how long, time will tell.

Before you try, do the self diagnostic test to see if it fails on the DSP2-chip

As I said I did it just as a last resort test before ordering a new Digital2 P.C.B.
                        I did it very simple, no special installation. Just sat it straight on a wooden board in the oven. Some say it was too warm and to long, some say you should do it in steps from 100°C up to 220°C. This worked for me and how precise can you be with a household oven?

Found out that Texas Instrument had withdrawn the DSP2 chip on my Digital 2 P.C.B from the market because of premature aging and replaced it with another series. That was nothing I could get an acknowledgement from Yamaha Europe on. But that was the case and the fact that my chip is working better as it has never before after the baking might also say something was wrong from the start.

If it fails again after some time I will order a new Digital2 P.C.B
                        Last edited by SlimMoses; 12-21-2021, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimMoses View Post
                          Yes it still works! For how long, time will tell.

Before you try, do the self diagnostic test to see if it fails on the DSP2-chip

As I said I did it just as a last resort test before ordering a new Digital2 P.C.B.
                          I did it very simple, no special installation. Just sat it straight on a wooden board in the oven. Some say it was too warm and to long, some say you should do it in steps from 100°C up to 220°C. This worked for me and how precise can you be with a household oven?

Found out that Texas Instrument had withdrawn the DSP2 chip on my Digital 2 P.C.B from the market because of premature aging and replaced it with another series. That was nothing I could get an acknowledgement from Yamaha Europe on. But that was the case and the fact that my chip is working better as it has never before after the baking might also say something was wrong from the start.

If it fails again after some time I will order a new Digital2 P.C.B
                          Thanks a lot for your explanation.
                          Can you send me a PM with the shop you find to order the PCB?
                          Thanks a lot SlimMoses!

And please enjoy this Christmas Season!

Comment

I had same no sound and the firmware/checksum for the DSP chip would not show in diagnostics menu. Also I got a bus NG under the C2-1 DSP test menu. Firmware update always failed at S-5 with an update failure 100. I tracked it down to the Digital 2 PCB chip IC521 D81YK113BZKB400 ic chip. I tried to do a a reball and reflow with no luck. The SPi flash chip data appeared to be intact (can't say for sure if it was corrupted or not but it uploaded and reloaded data ok). I was unable to source the original or the D version of the D81YK113BZKB400 chip from a reputable source. Ended up out of pure luck Yamaha 24x7 website had the entire Digital 2 board in stock with D version chip. Cost me $83 for a plug and play board. Part # is WY506200.
                            This fixed my issue and unit is back running. Hope this helps someone with similar problem.

Comment

Hi all,

I've a RX-A1030 with the folowing issue: no sound through Audio and AV analogue inputs, only sound when 2ch stereo or pure direct is activated (so no sound when I e.g. choose 7ch of Hall in Munich etc.). Hoever when I connect HDMI I've sound in all options (movie, music, eyc.) First suspicion was the DSP chip/PCB so I bought a scrap 1030 with a good functioning PCB (in this one a driver stage was defective (PRT DC: 67), after I swapped the PCB I've performed a factory reset to get the unit to live , ok then I upgraded to the latest FW version 1.98 also ok. However I still have the same issue, no sound on Audio/AV inputs, only in 2ch and pure direct mode. If I use test tone all speakers produce noise. Conclusion: Audio/AV input board seems ok because audio is coming through in 2ch/pure direct mode. PCB seems not to be the issue as it's swapped and I cannot imagine that by coincedence I've 2 boards with exactly the same issue. Any hints, tips, advices are more than welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Rupsenkind View Post
                                Hi all,

I've a RX-A1030 with the folowing issue: no sound through Audio and AV analogue inputs, only sound when 2ch stereo or pure direct is activated (so no sound when I e.g. choose 7ch of Hall in Munich etc.). Hoever when I connect HDMI I've sound in all options (movie, music, eyc.) First suspicion was the DSP chip/PCB so I bought a scrap 1030 with a good functioning PCB (in this one a driver stage was defective (PRT DC: 67), after I swapped the PCB I've performed a factory reset to get the unit to live , ok then I upgraded to the latest FW version 1.98 also ok. However I still have the same issue, no sound on Audio/AV inputs, only in 2ch and pure direct mode. If I use test tone all speakers produce noise. Conclusion: Audio/AV input board seems ok because audio is coming through in 2ch/pure direct mode. PCB seems not to be the issue as it's swapped and I cannot imagine that by coincedence I've 2 boards with exactly the same issue. Any hints, tips, advices are more than welcome!
                                You already have a good parts donor, transplant the power stage and you're good to go. What's the issue?

Comment

That would be the easiest way but as I'm repairing as a hobby I would like to understand what causes this specific issue in having no sound... call it "getting experience" :-)

Comment

Then swap the blocks one by one until you encounter the faulty assembly. They are extremely modular. You're in the best situation having two of the exact same product with a goal to make one fully working.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupsenkind View Post
                                      Hi all,

just to be clear... you are referring to a a1030 as opposed to the original thread post for an "a3010". Do you have a scope to help with looking at signals along the path? Also, what happens at your headphone jack... sournd / no sound? Also, check the pre-outs?

Quick look at SM kind of points at IC701 (selector IC) as having a problem depending on what signals are seen (ie. pre outs, "inter-chip" signals between IC701 and DSP, and IC702).
                                      Last edited by budwich; 06-29-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

@Budwich, you're right overlooked that this thread originally is A3010, indeed I'm referring to a 1030.
                                        Sound in 2Ch mode and pure direct when:
                                        - HDMI used
                                        - Phones

No sound:
                                        - Using any other mode than 2ch and pure direct
                                        - from pre-out

As mentioned HDMI board I swapped already but issue is still there.
                                        Next logic step would indeed be to swap the Function-1 board with the chips 701 + 702, see if it works and if yes then look in detail what you suggested. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Swapped out the function-1 board and did a factory reset again, issue is still there. Will check some more as Budwich suggested, any other ideas are more than welcome...

Comment

Working...
                                          X