Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCZ 700 Watt Bug Zapper Recap & Repair

Greetings Badcappers:
    --I bought this OCX MODXSTREAM-PRO used on eBay for $35 shipping incuded. It was advertized as working and, indeed it did pass the no load test, with all voltages present and stable. So I proceeded with the teardown, in order to replace the Sus'con caps with good jappers from Digikey.

--Careful inspection, (see pictures) indicated that a roach had caused a nasty ball of hot plazma to carbonize a portion of the board between a schottky leg and a grounded hold down pin. If I had installed this one of my multi drive towers, like as not it would have blown, perhaps taking a lot of other stuff with it. I am surprized it survived the first snap crackle pop. Perhaps that is why the owner decided to flog it.

--I carefully removed all of the burnt material and filled with UV curing green plastic solder mast. I always (see picture) use Mechanic brand solder mast when remasting a damaged area of circuit board. If you do not have a UV light source, you can leave the board in the sun for a couple of hours, or within 1/2" of flourescent light overnight, to harden the plastic. In an abundance of caution, a piece of capton tape insulates the scorch mark on the plastic shield In this case I removed the heatsink holddown in order to make room for a 40mm wide 470uF 450V Nichicon which 5mm wider than the 470uF 409V Sus'con. I included the green mask repair for your information.

--All caps were replaced with oversize and over voltage where possible. And, as you can see, other than a few pieces of rubber and a little liquid masking tape, for insulation insurance, there was no problem getting the larger diameter caps to fit. I will soon be placing a Digikey order to include the 470uF 450V Nichicon filter cap, and when it is installed, I will report back. I have included a list of Cap #s and specs. If anyone knows the number of the 22uF cap, please let me know, as the number on my board was scratced out when removing the white holdown cement. Moderator please remove first two instances of this posting. My apologies.
    Cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SgtRock; 10-26-2015, 02:34 AM.

Re: OCZ 700 Watt Bug Zapper Recap & Repair

better dead and toast than alive!

Comment

Yo next time you let me know for Samxons RS 3300/16 or Chemi-Con KZN 3300/16 in D10, that thing you did there is terrible and you'll have some serious fun getting those cables back.

My caps also usually cost fraction of the price you buy them from DK and similar. This also seems to be the case of my KZN which are expensive but still cheaper than those Nichicon sausages you bought. Plus they have longer life. So why you actually get those when they are worse in every possible way?
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

you need to put that "Bazar" shop-link in your sig.

Comment

Yep, only so Top Cat can run in and demonstratively delete that every time I'll disagree about something with him.

If you or somebody else can get some sort of agreement with him, than yeah, that would be cool. I tried, he always stopped replying sooner or later. Does not respond to e-mails at all (supposedly they never arrived but I got no cooperation in solving this problem).
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
            Yep, only so Top Cat can run in and demonstratively delete that every time I'll disagree about something with him.

If you or somebody else can get some sort of agreement with him, than yeah, that would be cool. I tried, he always stopped replying sooner or later. Does not respond to e-mails at all (supposedly they never arrived but I got no cooperation in solving this problem).
            I don't know what the trade laws are in czech, But here in the US you were lucky he didn't swing the ban hammer when you first started linking to your store IN A FORUM NAMED AFTER A STORE THAT SELL CAPS! You're on shaky fucking ground bud.... I'm not surprised he gave you the "up yours" treatment.
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
              I don't know what the trade laws are in czech, But here in the US you were lucky he didn't swing the ban hammer when you first started linking to your store IN A FORUM NAMED AFTER A STORE THAT SELL CAPS! You're on shaky fucking ground bud.... I'm not surprised he gave you the "up yours" treatment.
              Since TC is shutting down shop he probably doesn't care much about it now, but point made.

The title caused me to think this thread was about an actual bug zapper.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                While this forums has nothing to do with the shop, it is even written somehwere, there is also some point forbidding comercial activity. We can talk whether this even is commercial activity, but anyway. I offered him cooperatiion of different kinds many time, I even offered him to supply my custom caps. Even publicly. He usually did not even respond. So I am not provoking too much and pushing my activity too much here, hence there is no link in my signature (just a thread informing about my new stock and casual poke in some thread), on the other hand if he did anything even against that, he would be hypocrite ass IMO. So we have some kind of status quo I guess.

SteveNielsen: wut? site says shop's still running

Comment

SteveNielsen: wut? site says shop's still running
                  He announced it several weeks ago. He said the shop will be open as long as he has stock left to sell and that the forums will live on regardless.

Comment

Behemot has been given permission to sell his caps here in a very PASSIVE manner, the values and series he sells don't really compete with my inventory.

Yes, I will be shutting down the badcaps.net store when my stock depletes, keeping enough for in-house repairs only. I'll continue to accept repair work until I'm dead. It's nowhere near that point, I have atleast a year's worth of stuff left to sell....after that, it'll be repair only.

Now that this has been settled, get back on topic.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Badcappers:
                      --I have stated before that I am no expert, and that I am just a lowly parts swapper, albeit, a usually successful one. The inconvience of having a couputer down suddenly due to a failed power supply, sometimes including a dead motherboard has lead me to try a few things. One, I use only higher wattage power supplies, the theory being that with moderate power demand they will be under less strain and will run at a lower temperature. Two, I replace all no name caps (Samxon included) in every unit, working or not, with real jappers, oversized and over volted when possible. The higher voltage spec should provide some additional safety from spikes, and larger volume cans should take longer for the electrolyte to dry up. Thirdly, I specialize in 500W, 600W, and 700W OCZ MODXTEAM-PRO PSs, so that I am becoming familiar with their layout and likely failure modes, which mainly amount to bad caps and dust bunnies (or wooly boogers as we called them in the Air Force). When friends or family have a failure, I just bolt in one of these reconditioned ones in. A three year warranty means nothing to me, as I have seen the kind of caps they put in even the most expensive PSs, and I am not impressed. Down time, and inconvience far outweigh any monetary savings provided by any warranty. I should add that none of the Sus'con caps I replaced had any problems, either with capacity or ESR, however I do not think this particular unit has many hours on it.

--With regard to soldering/desoldering, I use a 20 year old Hakko 470 with a 50W 802 handpiece for disassembling these PSs. It works a treat and has never failed yet, if it should I have a 300W Weller gun for persuasion. For soldering I use two Hakko 936s one with the largest tip, and one setup for medium, I also have small tips if I need. All of the Hakko equipment, except for small parts and consumables, were bought on eBay, very cheaply. I buy all the small parts and consumables from Hakko USA, they are friendly, economical, and fast. So stripping and reassembling one of these PSs is enjoyable child's play, and allows better cleaning and inspection. Having taken lots of pictures during teardown, getting the cables back in place is no problem. I would love to see someone try this with a bang stick and solder wick, good luck.

--I have never observed Top Cat being unkind to anyone, and the help of TC and the regulars over the years has taught me a lot, got me out of jams, and saved me beau coup bucks. So, if people wish to complain about this forum, I would just as soon they did it in their own threads.

--Keep your eye out for my attempted repair (Tom66 this means you) of a Toshiba Rezga 42" CCFL TV including repair of circuit board traces I damaged with my injudicious use of the Hakko 802 hand piece. I will include a photography tip or two.
                      Cheers!
                      Last edited by SgtRock; 10-26-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I have split this thread.
                        Please let the discussion about Samxon capacitors continue in this linked thread so we do not hijack SgtRock's post
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Dear Hansson:
                          --You are on top of it a usual. It was not bothering me to read those posts, but I can see why you want a change to a more appropriate thread, and I will subscribe to it as well. I will be recapping another working OCZ 600 MODXSTEAM-PRO just as soon as I get my pension check and place another Digikey order. Kudos and Thanks. Also many thanks for all the kind words that have been posted.
                          Cheers

Comment

Thank you, I was actually on the fence if I should split it or not but in the end decided it's best to do so.
                            Because both threads are very interesting and it's easier both now and in the future to find and follow them
                            Keep up the good recapping work
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

hi sgtrock

after reading your post, it looks like you have a good knowledge of the ocz modxstream series.
                              i have a dead ocz500mxsp, fan not spinning no power coming to the motherboard,
                              what should i look first, i already opened it, but do not see anything obvious (bulged caps etc...)

thanks

Comment

Dear Manthi:
                                - I already posted a reply, but it seems to have disappeared. Here we go again. We need clear pictures of the board back and front. Also we need to know what meter, soldering, and desoldering equipment you have. Please search for and read any OCZ PS threads on this blog, and if needed any of the general trouble shooting threads as may be appropriate. You will want to trace the power from the cord on through the large filter cap and report back. Dominic Chen has developed a partial schematic which is just what the doctor ordered, and can be found at https://www.dcddcc.com/proj/oczpsu/.
                                Cheers
                                Last edited by SgtRock; 10-28-2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

thanks a lot for the help,
                                  i am going to do some reading like you suggested and i will be back with pictures when i am ready,
                                  thank you again

Comment

ok i think i found the culprit

teapo 330uf 400v

can i replace it with
                                    https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...805-ND/1004466
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Seems OK, if it fits the diameter. Price is awfull though.

Comment

Price is awfull though.
                                        add $8 shipping and you start crying,
                                        but everything is relative
                                        this morning i went to a local electronic store to see if they had anything that would fit, but i came back empty handed,
                                        but got a $168 ticket +3 points for failing to do a complete stop.
                                        so in the end that $15 with digikey is a bargain versus driving to my local store

ok back to topic, original cap has 1.9 ripple and the one i listed has 1.44 does it matter?

Comment

Working...
                                        X