Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Ltank
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Florien, La
My Country: USA
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Small home TV doesn't seem worth the effort anymore

I have been repairing TV sets for about 4 years now. TV's have gotten much cheaper now, Main Boards and Power Supplies are sometimes expensive. Manufacturers aren't making replacement parts at a decent price. I am considering closing my home shop. I have a good number of spare boards, I don't know what to do with.
I have some specialized test equipment. I am undecided at this time.
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE ON THIS SITE THAT HELPED ME LEARN SOO MUCH! THANKS GUYS & GALS.
Ltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
martino
Not so "senior"

City & State: alberta
My Country: canada
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Small home TV doesn't seem worth the effort anymore

Thought that many times,stuck to it and happy I did. Yes,it's not as good as it used to be for sure.but a few adjustments on business policy and it can still be fun.
Maybe just step back for a bit? Don't sell anything to hasty that you will regret later on.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Dgtech
E. Technician

City & State: Pittsburgh
My Country: Steeler
Line Voltage: 120 VAC 60Hz

I shut down my repairs. I still have the same set on the bench that I had from 2 years ago now. It needs a simple fix but it is no longer worth my time to work on it. I already gave family members enough freebies as I needed to. I was going to fix it for a spare set for the house but I'd rather give it away for free on CL.

I mean, it was fun for a while. I still have people asking me to fix their sets. I'm too busy fixing crap that's wrong with my house. Damn water heater just went.

Dgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:28 PM   #4
Ltank
Badcaps Veteran

I have several kits of capacitors, diodes of different types and test equipment. I will make list tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #5
Andrew F. Ali
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Point Fortin
My Country: Trinidad & Tobago
Line Voltage: 125VAC 60Hz

Electronic repairs is a passion.....If you were in it JUST for money you will give up easily....Granted business is not what it used to be in the CRT and analogue days....but as a 2nd job....not your main source of income these days....most people still want to 'give it a try' to fix first before purchasing a new item/set.....Parts are expensive and hard to get....All of my parts for LCD,LED and Plasma TV repairs are boards I get off e-bay.....If a CRT comes in I may have a part or can still get it locally.........My advise.....don't throw in the towel just yet....remain active as you can easily get 'left behind' with the technology advancements speed......I have been in the 'repair business since 1977....but my repair shop was a hobby that turned into a2nd source of income....hold on yet, my friend....
Andrew F. Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 AM   #6
dick_barton
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Cardiff
My Country: Wales
Line Voltage: 230V AC, 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

As someone who does it now only as a hobby or for friends and family, I can make reasonable beer money on the repair and or sale of LCD sets but I shudder to think how any decent money can be made repairing plasma sets especially when you read some of the posts on the forum regarding fake parts circulating causing more damage than you started off with.

I appreciate that as a hobby it does not have the same pressures as running a business which is quite different.

However the electronics trade has always been like this. New products give a good return on repair, older products less so and become more of a throw away item over time.

I did a Radio & TV Course at the local college and at the end of my 3 years I was being told that the TV market was dead and there was just no future in it. That was 40 years ago.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !

City & State: Telford
My Country: Britain
Line Voltage: 240 VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech

It is dying, Im doing good atm but packing up in September this year when I finish college. Not a reliable market anymore sadly

I remember in 2014 when it was the golden days for me in the Tv business, I literally never stopped but made a shit load of money but ever since 4k gotten big its slowly passing away.

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 01-03-2017 at 06:32 AM..
ReeceyBurger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England

TVs are just a small part of what I fix/support so it's not over yet.
There's still a market for repairing and selling cheap TVs, not everyone has gone 4K.
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !

There still is Diif but for cheap prices as well tbh.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #10
Ltank
Badcaps Veteran

4k TV's have issues too, including bad panels. I didn't repair them for the money. I enjoyed electrics for work and hobby. I have been in industrial electronics since 1974. I am Certified in six different fields of electronics from the E.T.A. ,have a Master CET.
I enjoy the technical challenge on Power Supplies and Tcon. Limited repair on Main Boards due to equipment needed to replace Main CPU. That you couldn't get from Mfg. It has been a fun run. My health is not what it used to be.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
sintv

City & State: cowdenbeath
My Country: scotland

Only myself and 2 others in this area have shops doing repairs. I find aerial work is more profitable with maybe only a couple of Tv jobs a week. I charge labour of 25 upfront and if customer doesnt want to pay it they are told to go elsewhere. The repair trade will be dead soon unless as a small sideline. Too many folk prepared to accept that their Tv is only worth scrapping if it breaks down. Look at the amount dumped at recycling centres
sintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
CapLeaker
Leaking Member

City & State: Atlantic Canada
My Country: Canada
Line Voltage: Ground, 0Hz

No wonder. During X-Mas I saw TV deals, I never had seen before. 32" HD RCA for CAD 160.
50" UHD for under CAD 600. Yeah... depending on the age and what might be wrong, fixing a TV may not be worth it anymore. I don't touch to repair any cheap over the shelve electronics anymore unless it is for family or a friend.
CapLeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
dick_barton
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Cardiff
My Country: Wales
Line Voltage: 230V AC, 50Hz

I feel that with the price reductions so has the quality and life span of these sets. You can buy a Hisense 55" 4K UHD Smart Led TV for 332 at the moment. No wonder people just throw them.
dick_barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
vinceroger69
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Nuneaton Warwickshire
My Country: uk

most electronics seems a throw away item now tvs/tablets /mobile phones unless we offer to fix them really cheap no one seems to want repairs nowadays i just do it as a hobby but for people trying to make a living it must be hard.
vinceroger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
Trevtron

City & State: Algarve
My Country: Portugal

I ran a small repair shop in Edinburgh for about 8 years. It was only supposed to be for six months, as I didn't see a future for it in 1997. It did well though, but new prices dropped and dropped, and when Sainsburys opened a unit nearby, they were selling brand new portables for 10 more that I was asking (had to ask) for 5, 6+ year old sets.
I did have another business running alongside for the latter years, but it was still a sad day when I turned the key in the lock for the last time.
After moving to Portugal I didn't touch TV's for a number of years, and as @Andrew F. Ali says above, you do get 'left behind'. I am trying to get back into it now (as a sideline to aerial and sat dish installs) but the old grey matter doesn't retain info as well as it used to. Just as well people are patient here!
Trevtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #16
ReeceyBurger123
Never Give Up !

55" Led 200 asda Donnington !
Old 01-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #17
maxvalutech
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: forster nsw
My Country: australia
Line Voltage: 240v

Here in Oz labour prices so high and plenty of cheap sets e.g. 42" LED FHD $299 and 65" around $900 (Aldi). I did laptop computer sales repairs as a hobby business for around 10 years starting when prices were $5/7000 per unit and gave it up a few years ago as prices came down to under $400 and tablets plus phones taking over. Heading for 79 years up shortly but still pick up a free broke TV every few months, only 32" or over and probably fix 2 out of 3 for no more than $50/70 each to just give away to whoever. Helps keep the brain going but late models very sparce inside as just did 55" Samsung 2013 product with only three boards. I did fix another older same size one early last year but then accidentally broke the screen which, if in business, would have created more swearing than I did at the time although it was plenty!!!
maxvalutech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 AM   #18
Moreno83
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Overijssel
My Country: The Netherlands
Line Voltage: 230V

Hmm i dont really agree with everything that has been said. Trying to earn a living with a tv repair shop is really hard but getting that extra money with repairing tv's for a hobby is worth it!!!

I got a normal day job but in my spare time i repair and sell tv's on the internet. For now just Panasonic plasma tv's but 2 weeks ago i sold a 55" for 500euro and a 42" model for 300 euro. Both 5 year old tv's ...had them listed for just a few hours!
If you have the money then buy tv's with damaged screens and sell the boards and led strips. These led strips are the things that are dying.

And anyone who buys a cheap led tv from Aldi ...... lmao.
Moreno83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:10 AM   #19
flocko
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: dover
My Country: uk

"Goal" that is the point, it is the likes of the guys on here that repair TVs for extra money,and have no overheads (VAT/tax/insurance/ rent ect) that have put the repair shops out of work, you know the ones that come on here asking how do I fix this, so I can make more money. I have more or less given up the repair side now, now at 66 years old it was time to slow up anyway.
flocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:13 AM   #20
Moreno83
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Overijssel
My Country: The Netherlands
Line Voltage: 230V

Well to be honest , i repair the tv's just for the hobby and not because i want to make money. The extra money is nice though but thats not my main goal. Repairing and understanding WHERE the fault is what i like , Thats why i want to repair all these broken Panasonic boards.

Dont forget that most repair shops ( in NL ) ask to much money anyways. Customers will say "why repair if i pay a extra 100 and get a new tv".

You do this for a living Flocko?
Moreno83 is offline   Reply With Quote