Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an LED problem or panel problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an LED problem or panel problem?

Hi guys

This TV has a dark spot on the screen.

Would this be a panel issue or more likely an led issue?

See pic
    Attached Files

Re: Is this an LED problem or panel problem?

LEDs + foils

Comment

Foils? You mean the plastic lenses on the led's?

Comment

But fixable yeah?

Comment

I vote panel failure, it's too isolated and too dark to be LED issue.

Comment

uh oh. now its taken a turn for the worse in the diagnostic department

Comment

Be interesting to see what's under the screen.

I had an LA series by LG a few years back that had pretty much caught fire. By the time I got to the tv there was no picture. But when taking it apart I could imagine the picture may have looked similar to this had it still displayed an image.

The panel itself had smoke and soot but it all just cleaned off and i was lucky to have an LN series donor TV that I could change over all the layers perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by jjanssen7 View Post
                I vote panel failure, it's too isolated and too dark to be LED issue.
                Yes, I concur, it does look too large and dark to be LED failure and most TVs will turn off to protect themselves if there is LED failure.

Comment

its a backlight / diffuser issue. The LED(s) is that area likely got severely hot and darkened the diffuse film before they went out. The panel display elements appear to be still displaying image... if my eyes see the picture correctly. You likely need to replace the LEDs and the diffuser sheet.

Comment

budwich makes a good point, but wouldn't the TV to shut off if an LED failed like that? I'd also expect the soot to go straight up.

Doing the tcon "disconnect one side then the other side" trick might reveal if it's a panel problem too...

Comment

I would say it is a defective lcd panel, it may be damage from something pushing against it for a long time, if it was stored that way for example. but whatever it is, the panel will need to be disassembled. Then you will know for sure.
                      uh oh. now its taken a turn for the worse in the diagnostic department
                      let me guess, you cracked the panel.
                      Last edited by R_J; 06-17-2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Dispense with the suspense, tear it down and see what's up.

Comment

Faulty panel , not fixable

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            let me guess, you cracked the panel.
                            Nah I dont even have the tv. It is available for sale and i was wondering if it was worth the $50 I could probably get it for.

My comment was because someone said led issue and then it was said to be panel issue.

Comment

Should have got it just for the thread. Now we will never know, like a page missing in book. Sigh.

Comment

Go by size if it's less that 50, I wouldn't give m 50 bucks for it, no way in hell, then if it is panel failure you still have to go to the trouble of parting out to try to get your money back.
                                Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-18-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamie View Post
                                  Should have got it just for the thread. Now we will never know, like a page missing in book. Sigh.
                                  I'm sorry.

I'm trying not to waste any money on anything that isn't easily fixable.

I have found another. I suspect this is led issue but it looked strange that it is just down the middle of the screen?

What do you think about this one? I'm sorry I don't have a model number or anything.

Is TCL a good brand for a smart tv?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

LED strips can be arranged vertically instead of horizontally. TCL is a budget Chinese brand. Is that wavy pattern at the bottom part of the image?

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
                                      LED strips can be arranged vertically instead of horizontally.
                                      So if thats the case, this tv has a faulty line of led's plus another single on the left hand side?

Is that wavy pattern at the bottom part of the image?
                                      I assume it is partof the picture as another photo of it doesnt have it. (see pic)

This is a 65" smart tv is all I know
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by RooTV; 06-19-2020, 12:58 AM.

Comment

I think you are better off with this one, looks like it needs the strips replaced if they are running vertically, sure looks like they are, not a real simple job by no means but can be done with proper precautions, maybe check youtube tutorials, MUST be careful with the panel they are flimsy and VERY easy to break, suction cups are a good tool for this type job.
                                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-19-2020, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X