Xbox One Power Supply - Orange Light & the dies when console is plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox One Power Supply - Orange Light & the dies when console is plugged in

Xbox One Power Supply / Brick ( PB-2201-02M1 )

Plug in to wall: Orange (Standby Light) comes on
    Plug in to Xbox One: Lights go off (not white or blinking)

Xbox One works with a different power supply.
    Xbox One Power Supply exhibits the same behavior when plugged in to a different Xbox One system.

Conclusion: Problem with the Power Supply.

I replaced the (2) 1000uf 16v caps (top right hand larger & bottom right hand larger in the pic)
    I replaced the (2) 2200uf 16v caps (top right hand small caps in the pic)
    (even though none of them were visually showing signs of failure)

I think I know this group well enough to know we can fix it! I think I know this group well enough to know the expertise is here to do it (just not with me).

Any thoughts on Next Steps?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hdguy; 07-20-2020, 11:13 AM. Reason: Added pics

Re: Xbox One Power Supply - Orange Light & the dies when console is plugged in

Looks like a dual-output PSU. Probably 5V or 3.3V standby and a main 12V output.

Since the orange light is dying when the PSU is plugged into the console, that suggest the standby supply may be having issues.

As such, there is a good posibility that the issue may be related to the start-up cap(s). I see two caps that fit this description. One is C400 (a small-ish cap next to the two large 200V caps) and the other is a small green cap next one of the small yellow transformers (this appears to be the standby transformer.)

Before changing them, try heating the PSU with a hair drier inside - particularly the are of these small startup caps. Don't get it too toasty. Just where it is hot to the touch, but not burning. Now try plugging it into the console and see if it the light goes out. If it doesn't, then those startup caps are very likely bad. And if the light does go out, you may have to change those startup caps anyways to make sure that is not the issue.

Also, just a curious question: what brand and series were the original caps in the power supply and what brand and series did you replace them with?

Comment

The original caps were (3) JACKCON LHK Series & (1) Samxon. Pic attached.

The remaining “suspect” caps are so tightly grouped on the PCB that I can't read the ratings. Tomorrow I’ll desolder, order, install & reply back on results.

Thank you very much for the input!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by hdguy; 07-22-2020, 10:30 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

OK, I see now the originals are three TAICON caps (not JACKCON) and one Samxon, but looks like you used the JACKCON caps for the repair. If that's the case, you may be better off with the Taicon and Samxon caps back in, as JACKCON is pretty terrible for reliability... but let's just keep the old caps for now (don't throw them away yet) and leave the Jackcon caps in the adapter for the time being.

Comment

I removed the other caps you were referencing
          C551: 25v 68 uF (Taicon)
          C400: 50v 48 uF (Ltec)

I’ll go order these, and maybe the ones I already replaced since you said my new ones suck worse than the original ones! I’ll post an update when the new caps arrive.

I’m actually doing this mostly for my notes..
          Last edited by hdguy; 07-26-2020, 11:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Well - the Mouse box showed up with the following:
            25v 67 uF
            50v 48 uF

I put them in the PCB - exact same result.

I threw the whole thing in the garbage - at this point I’ve got more in parts (actually shipping) than the replacement on Amazon cost me.

Thanks again for the help though!

Comment

you have a short MOSFET its a HEX power FET. its on the heat sink.

Comment

Working...
              X