Compaq CQ58 no display/4 blink FIXED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq CQ58 no display/4 blink FIXED!

Had this in yesterday, no display, 4 blinks on caps lock. It was very dirty inside to the point that the fan did not spin at all, so i thought the APU soldering had gone bad. Reballed the AMD E1-1200 APU, no change. Flashed BIOS, no change.

I had a donor board with a known working E450 APU. It is an older generation, yes, but it is the same core (actually it's even more powerful than the E1-1200; that one was the successor to the E350). Same format and everything. I did not know whether it would work but it was the only one i had.

Soldered in the E450 APU and had the same issue. Post card stopped on code F9, same as before. But at least the APU seemed to be compatible as it went thru the same sequence as the original one. Knowing this one was good, i looked further. A big surprise came when i unplugged the LVDS entirely and plugged the VGA in - the screen lit up and showed "Boot device not found". That's what the F9 code was for... Caps lock no longer blinking at this point.

Took apart the display and tested with another LCD. Got video. . Put the original LCD back on... and got video on this one too. Guess what happened... the LVDS cable was a bit loose at the screen end, and that's what caused the 4 blink issue.

Board booted to Windows just fine with the E450 APU and installed all needed drivers by itself, graphics work no problem. I'll be damned.

So, i have learned two things today. First, you can replace E1 series APUs with the older E series. Second, never rule out simple causes to a complex-looking problem.

Th3_uN1Qu3 out.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Compaq CQ58 no display/4 blink FIXED!

very nice work, you are always here with a good news, i have faced a similar problem, with hp g6-1120ek.
    thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us.

Comment

agree totally nice one bro

Comment

Well done Th3_uN1Qu3

I have the same model CQ58 with a very strange problem. It does not boot and the POST card stops on random codes, ranging from 11 to 1C.

Flashing the BIOS did not fix the issue. I am suspecting the EC.

Any ideas? Will keep you informed.

Comment

sometimes when you are cluttered of large machine like bga station , for a simple problem you can go very far
          nice work

Comment

Originally posted by KEVSPIT View Post
            Well done Th3_uN1Qu3

I have the same model CQ58 with a very strange problem. It does not boot and the POST card stops on random codes, ranging from 11 to 1C.

Flashing the BIOS did not fix the issue. I am suspecting the EC.

Any ideas? Will keep you informed.
            same problem, with same laptop, found Q1311 defective, and ncp6132b
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by polytek View Post
              same problem, with same laptop, found Q1311 defective, and ncp6132b
              What is the your motherboard part number?

Mine is:

010172W00-600-G
              NEWTON_BR_HPC
              MV_MB_V1

Thanks

Comment

motherboad is: NEWTON_CR&HR_HPC MV_MB_V1
                Last edited by polytek; 10-01-2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

congratz bro, and tnx for sharing
                  Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Thanks. Attached pictures. Tomorrow when i get back to work i will share working BIOS dump too if anyone needs it.
                    Attached Files
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

polytek, then they are not the same. I don't have those components on my board.

Th3_uN1Qu3, My motherboard is similar but not exact. You part number is 010172W00-J09-G while mine is 010172W00-600-G

I will post my BIOS when I fix the board and make sure it's the correct one. I just don't want to post a bad bin file

Comment

Love your work.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience and the solution. Great work!

Comment

nice one there. indeed somtimes we overlook the simple solutions wen in the end they are the solution to our problem

Comment

Thanks for sharing..
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X