Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used this module before Voltage Regulator DC 4-40V To DC1.25-36V 8A 200W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used this module before Voltage Regulator DC 4-40V To DC1.25-36V 8A 200W

Here is a link to one of them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Reg...AAAOSwKWha~SzX
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-08-2018, 09:36 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

ZD-915 Controller Desoldiering Gun to control heater element

I have tried this controller with the item above and it works but still need to control on and off the heating element
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-08-2018, 09:38 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

To control the heater element ON/OFF High Current 210A MOSFET Upgrade RAMPS

I have ordered some of these to try them out has anyone used this module before

3D Printer Heated Bed Power Module Board High Current 210A MOSFET Upgrade RAMPS

Here is the link to this module

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-...53.m2749.l2649

I do have a question

Do I put the print heat element controller first then the voltage regulator or do I put the voltage regulator then the heat element controller which way would be better and WHY
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-08-2018, 09:44 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Re: Has anyone used this module before Voltage Regulator DC 4-40V To DC1.25-36V 8A 20

i think you forgot to say what your trying to do!

Comment

Re: Has anyone used this module before Voltage Regulator DC 4-40V To DC1.25-36V 8A 20

I want to control the heater element to run off of a 20 volt battery power

I tried to use the controller board off of switching power supply minus the switching power supply portion of it

Well this would power the ZD-917 controller board ok but the it would not control the heater element the mosfet was turn on fully on and blew the mosfet and burn the heat element out

My guess is that some how the switching power supply was sending a signal to ZD-917 controller to control the mosfet

I thought about trying to hack the switching power supply module board again but I have no way to get another one easily

The reason I tried this was because I had one board that the board was having problems powering the Desoldiering gun
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-08-2018, 10:05 AM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

20v input,
            what's the heater voltage & current?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              20v input,
              what's the heater voltage & current?
              Here is the test data that was done

The heater element with no controller 8 amps @ 12 volts

The switching power supply ( 30 volts @ 10 amps maximum ) that I was using the voltage would not get any higher than that but I can not leave it running like that very long because the heater element glow very bright and then burn out

One note the Desoldiering gun and the soldering iron have very smilier results the soldering iron heater element amperage is a little lower
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-08-2018, 10:26 AM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

ah, so your trying to run the desoldering unit off 20v dc?

Comment

ah, so your trying to run the desoldering unit off 20v dc?
                  Yes that is the plan

I am not worried about the suction pump running on 20 it will just run faster and give more suction

The problem is the heater element

controlling it safely and the results be repeatable and be reliable as is when running of 120 volts ac

Why I am trying to build this setup is because there are times when I have to repair a soldering joints on a machine controller board

and if I had this battery operated setup where I could do this repair at the machine then I would not have to take the item completely apart to repair it

also most our machines do not have 110 volts easily available and not always an outlet near the machine

Here is a bigger reason I wanting to this is to see if it can be done and it works correctly

Here is cost that I encounter so far

ZD-917 Controller ( for one unit) $15.00 plus $5.00 for shipping
                  Voltage Regulator DC 4-40V $4.00 free shipping
                  3 D print bed heater element controller $7.00 free shipping

If I get this setup to work correctly

I will post on this forum
                  I will show photos of what the inside the unit looks like
                  How it was put together
                  What I had to do to make it work right

So all together its about $26.00 and two broken unit ( ZD-915 and a ZD-916 ) case and other parts from the broken units

This has been an ongoing project for a long time I have tried different ways of controlling the current of heater element and nothing has work correctly so far

I want the ZD-917 to control the temperature of the heater element so I can still see the set temperature of the Desoldiering Gun / soldering iron temperature and see the current temperature is at the same time
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-08-2018, 03:26 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

it should run at 20v,
                    i suspect the problem is the DC, most soldering stations use zero-crossing switching - dc has no 0 point so the switching will latch on or off.

Comment

it should run at 20v,
                      i suspect the problem is the DC, most soldering stations use zero-crossing switching - dc has no 0 point so the switching will latch on or off.
                      I figured it would have to be something like that

I posed the question earlier about which should go first the voltage regulator or the 3 D heater element controller or would it make a difference which one is first
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

just look at the circuits on the controller - look at how the triac is driven and look for any thing connected to ac other than a rectifier.

Comment

UpDate

The 3 D printer heater element controller will power heater element with no problem
                          I have to change the resistor for the optic sensors because the turn on voltage is about 9 volts surface mount resistor value ( 103 )

I need the turn voltage need to be 3 volts
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                            Here is the test data that was done

The heater element with no controller 8 amps @ 12 volts

The switching power supply ( 30 volts @ 10 amps maximum ) that I was using the voltage would not get any higher than that but I can not leave it running like that very long because the heater element glow very bright and then burn out

One note the Desoldiering gun and the soldering iron have very smilier results the soldering iron heater element amperage is a little lower
                            So based on your measurement, the heater draw 8 A @12V, that means it has 1.5 Ohms (12V/8A) resistance, so when 30V is applied to the heater, it will draw 20A (30V/1.5 Ohms), so if your power supply can supply 30V then the power will be 600W! instead of 96W at 12V. No wonder it burns up, I am surprised the power supply did not go into shutdown.
                            Last edited by budm; 07-10-2018, 11:08 PM.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                              So based on your measurement, the heater draw 8 A @12V, that means it has 1.5 Ohms (12V/8A) resistance, so when 30V is applied to the heater, it will draw 20A (30V/1.5 Ohms), so if your power supply can supply 30V then the power will be 600W! instead of 96W at 12V. No wonder it burns up, I am surprised the power supply did not go into shutdown.
                              This power supply regulate the current and voltage it is a bench switching power supply so if you try to pull to much current it lower the voltage

I have the voltage set at 20 volts

The voltage drops to 12 volts @ 8 amp

If the voltage is set for 12 volts

The voltage is about 10 volts @ 5.5 amps

Even with this setting the heater element will start glowing it just takes longer for this to happen

I probably going to set the Voltage (PWM ) Regulator to maximum of 5 amps ( which is recommended ) to 3D printer heater element controller and the ZD-917 controller keep heater element from glowing

One note the voltage regulator module has a maximum rating of 8 amps and it will not let you pull more than about 7 amps ( at least from the testing that I done with it so far)

Here is the data sheet for the buck regulator IC chip

One note there is a mistake on this data sheet for the output capacitor it says 1000uf @ 25 volts

It should say 1000uf @ 50 volts

Step-down power supply module DC4-40v to DC1.25-36v 8A 200w adjustable XL4016E1 DC-DC DC voltage regulator buck module

Buck chip: XL4016E1
                              Input voltage: DC4-40V
                              Output voltage: DC1.25-36V
                              Maximum power: 200W
                              Output current: max 8A (long operation, recommended 5A)
                              Conversion efficiency: 94%

This is the plan let’s see if I can get it to work that way
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-11-2018, 03:57 AM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

the heater element is 80w @ 24v
                                i hope your not powering the thermocouple instead!

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                  Here is cost that I encounter so far

ZD-917 Controller ( for one unit) $15.00 plus $5.00 for shipping
                                  Voltage Regulator DC 4-40V $4.00 free shipping
                                  3 D print bed heater element controller $7.00 free shipping

So all together its about $26.00 and two broken unit ( ZD-915 and a ZD-916 ) case and other parts from the broken units
                                  I can not seem to add very well

The total is really about $31.00
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I will check this just to make sure that this is not the case

When I have had the temperature sensor error on the screen before the heater element would glow very brightly and if you did not catch early enough it would burn out the heater element

Thanks
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-11-2018, 04:17 AM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Yes the label says this

However the switching power supply voltage version output is 18 volts
                                      On the transformer version the ac voltage is 20 volts

So what up with this

So is 80 watt for real or is this some what ( more or less ) than this
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-11-2018, 04:30 AM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Desoldiering gun

This is the setting for the voltage regulator module the voltage at the heater element is going to be different

So if I want to get the wattage to be 80 @ 20 volts then I need to set the maximum amperage to 4

Soldering iron

So if I want to get the wattage to be 60 @ 20 volts then I need to set maximum amperage to 3

At least that what I have come up with
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-11-2018, 04:46 AM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X