1A charge, 10-18v input
    Attached Files

Re: Baofeng charger mods

How well dose it work

So goes to a radio receiver
    Three different models

In the last picture what type of ic chip was there

I like your idea for this mod
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-07-2020, 10:04 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

all those bases had the same circuit, sc6038 based linear charger.
      slow as fuck with a 10v maximum input.

what you cant see is that i sliced 2 of the boards up to retain the input connector and mounts.
      it works well - upto 2Ah charge(i set it to 1Ah) and it smart-charges a 2cell lithium pack.

older iCOM stuff could really use this mod!!
      Attached Files

Comment

What was the charging amps with old controller in it

Because from the data it not exactly clear what the charging current is suppose to be

The only reference I could see the trickle charge mode 60 ma really
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-07-2020, 12:09 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

old circuit charged an 1800mA pack in about 6hours!!

it's a compromise,
          they used a linear charger so you could keep the radio on in the base,
          but because it's linear they had to keep the current low and the voltdrop to a minimum(10v) to keep it from getting hot!

i did not try to run the radio on the base now, but i bet there is lots of rf noise from that inductor!

Comment

Based on what mine was before it croaked, it was set at a charging current limit of 400mA, so 1.8Ah in 6h is about right taking in account absorption phase and charging inefficiencies.

At 400mA the chip would have to dissipate 1W+ which is excessive for a SOP8 IMHO.

Comment

you should get one of those modules - they dont even warm the case up!

btw, i'm waiting now for bi-colour leds.
              only chinese suppliers had common-anode ones, all the local places only stock common cathode.
              Last edited by stj; 09-07-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Well I ordered one, hopefully it works. And no CA LEDs, I think the old one in the charger is a CC? I suppose I could just use two discrete LEDs hidden behind the hole or build a light pipe for the LED on the board... or add two PNP transistors and two resistors...hmm...

Probably will also have to mod the board to 1A or less max charge rate to the 1.8Ah battery..

Comment

to set the board for a 2cell pack you blob-link a pair of pads,
                  to switch from 2Ah charge to 1Ah you remove one of a pair of 0.1ohm shunt resistors that are in parallel

the board has leds on it - you can see it through the case - but i want the original look so i ordered these:
                  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32415510038.html

not sure what i'll do with the other 97 of them!

Comment

Eh, the LED is not a big deal. Definitely not worth it to get a hundred of the CA LEDs but I may end up putting in a CC unit with two 2n3906's and resistors... mainly because I have a large pile of 2n3906's I'll never finish using up...

BTW, your UV82 original charger board looks better than mine...though not any better than the UV6R.
                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 09-09-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

better how? you mean the surface area of the copper?
                      it's an early one - i grabbed the uv82 when they first got released - love that double-ptt!

i was a bit shocked with the uv6r that they reduced the pcb to a thin strip that just stretched from the power jack to the led hole!

Comment

exactly. must have been some beancounter and ignored the design engineer...

not so sure about the double ptt, though I never suffered a uv5r with dual watch. I wish it was dual vfo... that would be nice.

Comment

double ptt comes into play when your talking with 2 groups you want isolated from each other.
                          great on work sites.

uv6r functions like a uv5r - just built better.
                          dual watch with single ptt is a pain in the ass, you have to constantly be checking the A/B flag before transmitting, or put both on the same channel.

Comment

Work sites? using ham radio? Or using Baofeng instead of a legal part 90/95 radio (for USA...)? :o

Yeah this radio is not quite FCC approved for what dual PTT would be nice for. Using the dual watch for two amateur repeaters and you don't necessarily know who's talking on which repeater even if you recognize the voice but don't know which repeater...

Comment

i'm not in the u.s. - FCC can go fuck themselves.
                              as long as i use the legal frequency's and power limits for the purpose, nobody gives a shit here.

you know which channel your recieving from because there is a little flashing arrow on the display btw.
                              Last edited by stj; 09-10-2020, 05:50 AM.

Comment

I don't stare at the little screen all day... wish it would indicate the frequency last reception occurred on well past carrier loss.

Comment

it can,
                                  you can set it so that it locks onto the slot it last recieved on.

these radio's are very advanced, but the instructions are pretty long - and the older manuals like the 5r are shit.

Comment

Doesn't seem to be obvious what setting to use to "lock" onto the last slot. What does it mean to "lock" anyway when you have dual ptt?

Closest to what I see is if you're in scan mode you can tell it to stop scanning when it receives something but this isn't what I want...

Comment

on dual ptt it has no use, but if you only have one ptt then it can latch the ptt to the last slot (A/B) it recieved a signal on.

i hope your using CHIRP and not the factory software!
                                      https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
                                      Last edited by stj; 09-10-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                      X