Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CyberPower 1350AVR and 1500AVR - Repair

Both are older than years old now.

Pooling info here from what I have read.

Cyberpower 1500AVR takes 4-5 days to charge batteries after test depletion.

Made an RPi Nutserver for the rack and using PFSense for the telco area with an APC.

Using Nutserver with Home Assistant.

Last week ordered

33uF 200v Rubycon Electrolytic Radial Lead Capacitors
    22UF 50V Electrolytic Radial Lead Capacitors
    VIPer22A "Original" ST 8P DIP IC 2 pcs

Noticed that the old Cyberpower UPS's output ~12-14VDC to the two batteries.

The new Cyberpower 1500's output ~ 27VDC to the two batterie

Purchased new batteries for the 1350 a couple of months ago and 1500 last week.

Discharged the 1500 to 10% and recharged it. Took 5 days to charge to 100%

Attached Files
    Last edited by pete_c; 05-06-2022, 04:14 PM.
    Auto mator

Re: CyberPower 1350AVR and 1500AVR - Repair

I took apart the Cyberpower 1500C / AVR. It was still working but only showing 12-13VDC charging voltage. I see issues on the main board as described in previous posts.

Bottom tag on Cyberpower 1500c

Remove screw pictured and pull panel down and off. Disconnect front panel cable and two battery pack wires red and black.

Remove two screws holding case together on front of case as shown in picture and six screws on back of panel. Lift cover off to see board.

Remove red and block wire on the top of board as shown. Remove 4 screws holding the board to the case. Lift board to remove, clean and replace parts.

The Cyberpower 1500c purchased ~ 10 years ago was still working but taking a long time to charge up batteries to 100%. (4-5 days).

Next steps shown will be removal of caps and IC and clean up and replacement of parts.

Today shutting down Cyberpower 1350 which appears to be working still with 12-13 VDC on it. Replacing it with a new Cyberpower 1500 (one of two purchased in the last couple of weeks).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pete_c; 05-07-2022, 02:58 PM.
    Auto mator

Comment

BTW here running NUT on BSD PFSense / XigmaNAS and built a couple of RPi2's which are NUT servers. Monitoring them with Home Assistant.

Here is the Cyberpower 1350 which will need to be repaired. Notice the charging voltage on it.

Here is the new Cyberpower 1500. Noticed the difference in the charging voltage.

I have yet to move the Cyberpower 1500 to the work bench. Looks easy to de solder the caps and IC. Looks difficult to clean off the old glue.

Might try..

- PCB cleaner (Electro-Wash)
      - Denatured Alcohol
      - Flux Remover

Maybe Acetone??
      Attached Files
      Auto mator

Comment

8th of May, 2022

Took the board out with all of its connections intact. Brought it down to the basement workbench where I have a soldering station and heat gun.

Using a large magnifying glass with lamp for all of the desoldering stuff. It is very old. Real glass and a fluorescent circular bulb on it. Got this in the 60's when tinkering with Amateur radio.

Desoldered and removed two capacitors. Easy to do once I re soldered the posts.

IC difficult.

Purchased tiny wire cutter which I did not have to nip off the IC terminals on the top of the board.

Have desoldered IC posts. This way I can grab one post at a time to remove it.

I was going to purchase a soldering vacuum but really not necessary for doing this a couple of times.

There is a lot of glue that goes between one post on IC and Capacitor.

Here is a large picture of the damaged VIPer22A. I am surprised that the UPS still kind of worked; well with 12-14VDC charging two batteries.

Still wondering best way to clean the glue off.

Here is a block diagram of the VIPer22A.

How does this provide 24VDC + charging voltage to the UPS two 12VDC batteries?

What is the purpose of the glue that is there?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pete_c; 05-08-2022, 10:36 AM.
        Auto mator

Comment

Update 10th of May, 2022

Got my little wire clipper today.

Clipped the top 8 IC pins with the wire clipper. Chip was burnt and brittle.

Using a small needle nose pulled on pins as I de soldered them.

Closes pin to capacitor did not have any solder on it and fell off.

Using a pin to make sure that there was no solder in the holes.

Using an exacto blade lifted the glue off in one chunk. Fell off.

Cleaned top of board with alcohol.

Typically have taken pictures of projects using my digital SLR. This is the first time I have used my phone to take pictures like this.

Attached Files
          Last edited by pete_c; 05-10-2022, 02:28 PM.
          Auto mator

Comment

11th of May, 2022

Installed IC and caps today. Put the board back in the case and put the case together.

Plugged it in and it showed a 72% charge. 2 hours later it was at 100%.

The battery voltage showing is what each battery is for the older 1500 and 1350.

Will test the Cyberpower 1350. It did charge fine with new batteries about a month ago. Most concerning was the battery voltage being 50% of what the new Cyberpower 1500's show.

This endeavor had me making RPi Nut Servers (with spare RPi's).

A big thanks to all of the forum users here and authors of the Cyberpower UPS repair posts.

Attached Files
            Last edited by pete_c; 05-11-2022, 11:48 AM.
            Auto mator

Comment

12th of May, 2022

Just a quickie note between NUT values on the older Cyberpower 1500 and new Cyberpower 1500.

NUT Values

Battery Voltage

Old Cyberpower Battery Voltage 13.7 V indicates voltage per battery

New Cyberpower Battery Voltage 27.2 V indicates total battery voltage of two batteries.

Output Voltage

Old Cyberpower output voltage ~ 120 VAC

New Cyberpower output voltage ~ 137 VAC*

* This is a NUT issues which has been documented. Using Cyberpower Powerpanel in Windows or Linux will show ~ 120VAC.

The Cyberpower 1350 has no load on it for testing. Today unplugging it and will let it run down the battery until it shuts off. Then will power it up to see how long it takes to recharge the battery.

0800c time - unplugged Cyberpower 1350.
              status On Battery Battery Discharging
              Cyberpower-1350 Battery Voltage 12.9 V

Note Battery voltage immediately dropped from 14V to 12.9V
              Last edited by pete_c; 05-12-2022, 06:59 AM.
              Auto mator

Comment

13th of Friday, May 13, 2022

I let the Cyberpower 1350 discharge to around 60% (after 5 hours) and plugged it back in to an outlet. A few hours later it was at 100% charged.

Thanks again to the forum users for providing much needed info on repairing the Cyberpower 1500 UPS.
                Auto mator

Comment

Thanks for the write up about the the repair issue that you were having with these units

Batteries should be wired in series to get 24 volts now for the one that 12.something pre battery it just has a tap on the circuit board to show you the voltage on each battery ( interesting )

A few more items that were saved from the landfill

Good work on these repairs
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-13-2022, 03:37 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Thank you for the opportunity to document this endeavor here on the forum. I learned a lot.

Here is a quickie overview of the NUT servers running and display using Home Assistant.

Most power consuming devices on the rack today are Russound distributed audio amplifiers and the XigmaNAS box #4 (8 SAS drives using a Xeon motherboard).

Attached Files
                    Auto mator

Comment

Did this repair today replacing the two 33uF 200v and one 22UF 50V Capacitors and the VIPer22A DIP IC. Seems to work as normal again. Thanks everyone in this thread for the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X