Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 pro PSU (ADP-300FR) shuts down when turning on 12V

Hello all,

I would like to ask for your help to troubleshoot a faulty PS4 pro power supply (ADP-300FR).

A couple of weeks ago, I've picked up a PS4 Pro (CUH-7216B) from one of the local flee markets. According to the seller, it has a "no power" issue and the PSU is most likely faulty. Based on the cracks on the housing, it was probably dropped.

Tried it at home and sure enough, it had a "no power" issue. (Pressing either the power or eject buttons had no effect).

I took out the PSU and opened it. Immediately noticed that both transformers (marked as "T1" and "T2") are damaged. Their legs on the low voltage side are broken. (Looks like fall damage to me) Some of the pads where the legs are soldered are slightly lifted. (One pad is missing but that's a "no connect") I saw no burned component or anything else that was out of place.

Talked with several people who repair PS4 Pros and found one who was willing to sell these transformers to me. He took them out of a ADP-300CR PSU but both PSUs use these 2 transformers according to him and this seems to be right.

Soldered in both new transformers and after reassembly, the PS4 pro finally showed the first sign of life. After pressing either the eject or power button, I can hear a beep and the blue light comes up for like 2 second and it goes off (without a second beep!). Pressing either buttons again results in nothing. I have to unplug it for a couple of seconds and plug it back in order to reproduce the previous behavior.

Took out of the PSU again to make some measurements and came to the following:
    I have 5v standby and its stable. As soon as I try to turn on the the 12v line by connecting "5VSB" and "ACDC_STBY" (I have soldered two cables connected to a switch so I dont have to short them using a tweezer), the whole PSU turns off and remains off until I unplug it and plug it back. It's basically the same behavior that the PS4 produces so I came to a conclusion that its a PSU problem.

Measurements on the small connector (when "5VSB" and "ACDC_STBY" are NOT connected)
    ACIN_DET: 4.8V
    ACDC_STBY: 0V
    GND: 0V
    5VSB: 4.83V

When they are connected, both "5VSB" and "ACIN_DET" falls under 1V and keeps decreasing. (The PSU seems to shut down)

Since then:
    -I have unsoldered and tested every single through-hole MOSFET (Q3, Q4, Q6, Q102, Q101) (and a diode: D11) and all of them tested okay (I'm using a cheap component tester from aliexpres).
    -Checked the through-hole resistors (R5, R103) and all of them are okay (AFAIK the big one acts as a fuse and all of them should have very low resistance. Both are 3 ohms in my case.)
    -Checked for shorts in obvious places (ICs, MOSFETs, capacitors, 12V, 5V connector) but found none.

I could not find the schematics of this PSU (ADP-300FR) however someone made a schematics for ADP-240AR which has many things in common (including some of the ICs) so I have attached it.

I've also found some YouTube videos where yet another PSU is explained (ADP-200ER) but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link them here.

Any help is much appreciated. I've already spent like 2 weeks trying to figure out the issue and it's driving me insane
    Attached Files

Re: PS4 pro PSU (ADP-300FR) shuts down when turning on 12V

did you test it on a dummy load and not in the ps4?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      did you test it on a dummy load and not in the ps4?
      I have tested the 12V line with a 12V ligthbulb but same result (didn't even lit for a second).

Haven't tested the 5V line with any load just yet.

Comment

maybe it wont run without a load on every voltage

Comment

maybe it wont run without a load on every voltage
          Unfortunately this is not the case

Every single tutorial I've found shows the 12V line working without putting any dummy load on it. All it requires is to connect the mentioned two pins on the small connector (which also supplies 5V).

Comment

R112 underside, 1miliohm resistor to monitor current - where do those long tracks go and is the resistor and tracks o.k.?

Comment

R112 underside, 1miliohm resistor to monitor current - where do those long tracks go and is the resistor and tracks o.k.?
              First of all, thanks for taking your time to help me

Measured R112 and it's 0.2 ohm.

The big tracks from R112 go to the middle 2 legs of T2 through a "jumper" on the other side of the board. (I drew it on the attached picture as well as another jumper that leads to a different section).

The tracks are not damaged (verified with my multimeter).
              Attached Files

Comment

Apologies, I've just realized that I have misunderstood your question.

You meant the small tracks going from each pad of R112.

The first one (farthest from the 12V connector) goes to R155 (280 ohm resistor) then through a zero ohm resistor, goes to the 3rd leg of IC151 (DNP012AH)

The second track goes to D135 and ZD123 and the 12th leg of IC151.

Both tracks are undamaged.
                Attached Files

Comment

thats the overload sensing - so thats a good area to be inspecting

Comment

thats the overload sensing - so thats a good area to be inspecting
                    Okay, I will check that section under a microscope tonight.

In the meantime, I have to correct myself:
                    The second track goes to the 4th leg of IC151 from the mentioned diodes through a 10 ohm resistor. The 12th leg iof that IC s GND

Comment

You checked that the PFC works for you, when you turn on 12v, the voltage on the large capacitors should increase by about DC 400v. If the PFC does not work, then the protection will work and the power supply will turn off completely.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                        You checked that the PFC works for you, when you turn on 12v, the voltage on the large capacitors should increase by about DC 400v. If the PFC does not work, then the protection will work and the power supply will turn off completely.
                        Yes, I wish I could test this but all 3 multimeters I have at home could only measure up to DC 300v Even with the PFC turned off (when the PSU is only running in standby), those caps are over 300v.

I might be able to borrow a multimeter that measures up to DC 1000v and test this.

Comment

Okay I have borrowed a multimer and made some measurements on the high voltage capacitors.

When the PSU is running in standby (= no pins on the small connector are connected), the big caps have 317V.

After trying to turn on the PSU (by connecting the pins), it stays at 317V...so either the PFC is not working or it is just not turned on in the first place?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well, if the power does not rise, then the PFC does not work, there may be a microcrack on the board, look at large, power elements.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                              Well, if the power does not rise, then the PFC does not work, there may be a microcrack on the board, look at large, power elements.
                              I will.

The schematics I've attached (in my first post) has a PFC section, not identical (as it is for a different PS4 PSU) but similar. I might be able to use that to know what components should be checked.

Comment

Is that a scratch or a hair ? Is it cutting the traces ?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by diif; 08-23-2022, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                  Is that a scratch or a hair ? Is it cutting the traces ?
                                  Nope, it's from the brush I have used to clean the flux

Scanned the board using my microscope and didn't find any micro cracks.

Just seen a video where the PFC circuit was faulty and indeed, having a fault in the PFC section could cause the issue I currently have.

The problem is I'm kind of lost regarding the PFC section.

When comparing it to the schematics of the other PSU (the only schematics I currently have), it has a different IC with a different pinout. Even the huge coil (L1) has some differences and with this many small SMD components, it's hard to know what supposed to go where.

The IC that drives the section is "NCP1612A3" (IC41). I've found the datasheet and attached it to this post.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

There isn't much progress I can report. Still trying to figure out why the power is cut when I try to turn on the 12V.

In standby mode, the PFC IC (IC41 - "NCP1612A3") has no power on the VCC leg. (0V) When trying to turn on 12V, it has something for a fraction of a second but the PSU turns off before I can measure it with the multimeter.

Also measured the output of "T2" on the low voltage side to see whether I have 12V for a short time after trying to turn on the PSU but nope. Nothing there.

I'm still not sure which IC cuts power and why. PFC is not running but I'm kind of stuck why. Would love to narrow the issue but I don't have the knowledge to do so.

Made a note of the ICs on the board. Maybe someone will find this useful in the future:
                                    IC31 is "DAP046"
                                    IC32 is "DAP049"
                                    IC41 is "NCP1612A3"
                                    IC101 is "MP6922L"
                                    IC155 is "DNP012AH"

Comment

check the pfc fet(s) & diode for shorts

Comment

I think I've finally found the problem!

The PFC controller IC (IC41 - "NCP1612A3") is shorted.

The following three legs of this IC are connected together (resistance is less than 5 ohms):
                                        7th - GND
                                        6th - DRV
                                        8th - pfcOK
                                        ...and I don't think they should be.

I can buy this chip online but it will take at least a month to arrive.

It's also glued down so I have to be extra carefull when removing it.

I will report back with the results

Comment

Working...
                                        X