Philips 40PFL8606K/02 won't turn on, blink codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 40PFL8606K/02 won't turn on, blink codes

Hello! Yesterday I picked up the TV mentioned above. Obviously I knew it was bad, I bought it to be fixed.

Chassis: Q551.2E

It won't power up, only blinks 2 long, then 2 short on the standby LED. Then repeats till you pull it out from the wall. I checked the manual and it states a bad SSB, but I don't just wanna give up already.

Before I did anything, ofc I checked PSU voltages, all were fine. They were not unstable or anything. (however, 3.3 would stay at 2.9 - 3V constantly, is it bad?)

Then I tried is to pull everything out of the mainboard, only the power supply and mainboard (SSB?) was plugged together. The TV did not power up, however, I got 9 blinks instead. The service manual told me it's a "backend board" problem, which I suppose, is the board that is between the SSB and Tcon.

I plugged it back in, however, the 2 blink problem came back.

I tired the SDM mode, which gave me several error codes:

-14 (SSB)
    -17 (Power supply)
    -38 (Backend)
    -44 (Backend)
    -45 (Backend)
    -54 (TCON/Display)

Well, first of all, I don't know if the TV has so many problems (like, is it possible?!), or it just logged that I unplugged everything, and it's stored in the Error Buffer and will be displayed until it clears itself... (because I can't clear it since I can't get to SAM mode).

However, the fact that it states ALL board that is inside the TV is faulty, is pretty stupid imo.

Measuring the SSB, then I found a bad fuse, that carries 12V to the Backend(?) board. I quickly replaced it, and although I finally could measure voltages on the backend board, all the errors remained (maybe because the error buffer?)

The TV still can't power up.

Another "fun" fact: although the TV is constantly rebooting (maybe because of the error 14), I managed to get it to stand-by mode twice already, and also, there were 3 moments, when the ambilight came on for a few seconds (however, I couldn't see anything on the screen, since the backend board +12v supply was missing).

What would you say, or try? Is the TV saveable? Maybe a CPU reflow could help?

Re: Philips 40PFL8606K/02 won't turn on, blink codes

I see that noone really knows what to say about this. No problem.

Today I built a USB-UART with an arduino, and I started to take a look at the service port output.

It really had so many problems.. but after a long time of inspecting, I realized, that the TV stopped sending all the errors, and it was all about "audio speaker missing" or something like that, which was true, because they were unplugged. The TV didn't reboot. I took a look at the screen, and realized, that there are some garbage on it, and also, the backlight worked. It reacted to the RC too, and I could put it in stand-by.

I turned it off, turned it on again, but it didn't do the same. It went back to all the old errors..

Fast forward, I changed one of the ribbon cables between the SSB and backend board, and now it seems to boot up 10/10 times. However, one problem still remains: the code 54, which relates to TCON or display.

Maybe there is also a problem between the TCON and backend ribbon?

I mean.. this in not the first philips with a bad ribbon issue; a few months ago I bought my own TV as bad: the TV had backlight and everything, but no picture (same as this TV rn), and it had a bad ribbon connection. I had to jumper wire +12V from the mainboard to the tcon, and it works since.

I'm tryna fix the ribbon cable, and test the TV. If it fails, I guess I will have to change the TCON. If, hopefully ofc, it still can boot up.

I will update.

Comment

FFC cables are appearantly not that easy to fix.. both end needs to be fixed, even worse.
      However, I got to a point, where the screen would show some garbage on it.

I'm not sure, if its tcon, display, or FFC ribbon (LVDS) cable problem tho.. I wish I could test the TCON and screen somehow, without the LVDS cable, since it's still not fixed..

Comment

The cable fixing didn't work, I just can't get all the 51pin to work.

So since I couldn't find replacement cables, I took down the connector from the backend board, and I will do the same on the TCon, then jumper wire all the necessary pins.

That will be 27 little jumper wires, if I don't count the GND and +12V lines, because those will be 1-1 bigger cable for stable voltage delivers.

Comment

Working...
        X