Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [HOWTO] Fix/Repair "Chassis Intruded Fatal Error System Halted" on Asus P5QL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibhv2svdt6...35.22.jpg?dl=0
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bobbymih; 09-01-2014, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Re: [HOWTO] Fix/Repair "Chassis Intruded Fatal Error System Halted" on Asus P5QL

Ok that's a good pic. With the board powered ON, measure voltage at the CHASSIS jumper. Find the pin that has somewhere between 1 volt and 3.3v. Could be anything in that range.

Once you found it, turn all power OFF and unplug the power supply, and set your multimeter to beeper. One probe goes to that pin you found with the voltage on it, and with the other probe measure on the little 3-pin transistors around the Winbond chip. You should find one that beeps on the single pin at the top, which would be the collector or drain.

Return with these results and i will try to help you further.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        One probe goes to that pin you found with the voltage on it, and with the other probe measure on the little 3-pin transistors around the Winbond chip. You should find one that beeps on the single pin at the top, which would be the collector or drain.
        Correction - the drains are going to be wired to the pins of the Winbond chip. You should check continuity from the chassis intrusion pin to the gate, which is the first pin on the left, on the side where there are two pins.
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

hi, my board is P5Q SE2. Using the beep of DMM I found that DMM gave a beep when with the transistor next to the transistor you said to remove.
          Please help!11

Comment

Hi again. Thanks for the help @Th3_uN1Qu3 , I really appreciate your effort.
            When I fixed the Chassis Intruded error. Now I am getting another message that is:

"new cpu installed please enter setup to configure your system"

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Comment

There is another transistor around the one you removed for the chassis intruded error, that makes it do that. That can be jumpered too, but first things first:

1. Clean up the area of the Winbond chip very well with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush.
              2. Remove battery, clear CMOS, replace with new battery.

Comment

Hi Th3_uN1Qu3 !

Following your directions I was able to boot an Asus NCT-D motherboard, thank you.

With power ON has been measured 0.7 voltage on pin 2 of chassis intrusion detection jumper, found the same voltage on the drain of one of the seven SOT-23 NPN transistors and the same on a pin of the VIA IO chip. After the complete removal of the transistor I've found zero voltage on the IO chip pin. After three days of intense benchmarking no problems still has been found !

to Th3_uN1Qu3 !!!
                Attached Files

Comment

good job!
                  welcome to badcaps!
                  Originally posted by Milky Way View Post
                  Hi Th3_uN1Qu3 !

Following your directions I was able to boot an Asus NCT-D motherboard, thank you.

With power ON has been measured 0.7 voltage on pin 2 of chassis intrusion detection jumper, found the same voltage on the drain of one of the seven SOT-23 NPN transistors and the same on a pin of the VIA IO chip. After the complete removal of the transistor I've found zero voltage on the IO chip pin. After three days of intense benchmarking no problems still has been found !

to Th3_uN1Qu3 !!!

Comment

Unique, can you help un "consătean" de-al tau?
                    I have a p5ad2-e premium MB. Can you please point me wich tranzistor to remove and were to sold the wire, or what should i do. Thank you.
                    Attached Files

Comment

@Th3_uN1Qu3 thanks for replying I really appreciates that.
                      Which transistor are you talking about? I will be very helpful if you point it for me on a picture or something.
                      Thanks again, Im waiting for your answer.

Comment

hello, i have same problem whit my mobo, i touch jumper and the issue show's.
                        I have mainboard p5q deluxe and i don't know how to fix this problem, please help me i buy this mobo 1 mouth ago and now not work :'( !

Comment

Hey Bro can you help me, i have problem whit my mobo?

Comment

Originally posted by AdonY View Post
                            Hey Bro can you help me, i have problem whit my mobo?
                            We can't magically point which transistors needs to be removed. You'll need a multimeter and do a bit of detective work yourself. Read the entire thread, and if still unsure, post pictures of the super IO chip on your board (usually Winbond or ITE if I am not mistaken). Also, point out where your Chassis Intrusion jumper is.
                            Last edited by momaka; 02-04-2015, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Hi, I have the same problem here, asus P5B-E,
                              worked fine for years,

I read the thread over and over, just to make sure, but I still have question,
                              I don't have any voltage at the pin #2 is this normal?

Manual say:

-+5VSB_MB,
                              -Empty
                              -Chassis signal
                              -Ground

Is the order 4-3-2-1. +5V being pin 4 or is thie 1-2-3-4, Ground being pin 4?
                              Anyways I only have voltage at the "+5V" pin, voltage being 4.9V, way more that than the "1.7v and 3.3v" Is this normal? I'm I suppose to have voltage on an other pin (Chassis signal)?

Also there's not transistor with that voltage near my i/O controller, though I have two transistors at 3.3V. (top righ on the pictures), And one "hidden" transistor between the battery and the panel connector (not visible on the picture) at 3.3V

Thanks
                              Attached Files

Comment

You are supposed to have some voltage on the chassis signal pin. Measure resistance between that pin and ground. The 5 volts is coming from the 5vsb rail of your PSU, and has nothing to do with the issue.

I take it you already tried clearing CMOS and cleaning the dust off the mainboard?

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'm happy to see you on this thread after all this time

Yes I already tried to clear cmos, change battery, clean everything, etc.

The resistance at chassis pin is 1420 ohms

Comment

That's interesting. No voltage on the chassis intrusion pin, and a fairly low resistance to ground means it should be in the "closed" state, so a chassis intruded error should not pop up.

But maybe your board is configured the other way round. Put a 1k resistor from that 5 volt pin to the chassis signal pin. See if it does anything different.

Comment

Same thing with the 1k resistor

Comment

thx for some knowledge. it'll be handy

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                          Just finished fixing this one. Apparently, this is a common issue with all Asus P5 series boards. I first assumed it's a bad BIOS flash or corrupt CMOS settings, as it would go away once after resetting CMOS, but upon the next reboot it would be there again. Same if i changed any BIOS settings and saved them.

I read that people have flashed BIOSes to no luck, and someone pointed towards a transistor on another (older) board, so i proceeded to look for a hardware issue. And i found it. See attachments for fix.

Instructions:
                                          1. Follow directions in pictures
                                          2. Clear CMOS
                                          3. Power board up, redo all BIOS settings
                                          4. Be happy and have a cold one.

This should apply to *all* boards that exhibit this behavior, obviously the parts may be in a different location. Follow these directions to find it if your board differs:
                                          1. Remove jumper cap from chassis intrusion connector (if you're reading this, you already found it's of no use anyway).
                                          2. With the board powered ON, measure with your voltmeter and find the pin of the chassis intrusion switch connector that has somewhere between 1.7v and 3.3v on it.
                                          3. Disconnect board from PSU.
                                          4. Use continuity tester function of your DMM and probe on the SOT23 transistors next to the super IO controller, you should find it beeps on one of them.
                                          5. Power the board back ON and find a 3.3v supply nearby
                                          6. Power board OFF, remove transistor, solder drain connection (it's gonna be the single pad, just like it looks in the picture) to 3.3v supply.

The rest is the same as above.

I'm also going to tell you what causes the issue to appear in the first place in a follow-up post.
                                          thanks man u save my board

Comment

Working...
                                          X