HDD drive greyed out in Disc management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDD drive greyed out in Disc management

Got a Satta HDD showing in 'My computer' HDD (D) when trying to format it say's 'insert disk'.

In Disk management, Drive D is my disk 1 and all greyed out - no media! Using CMD and Diskpart, it won't let me do anything .... maybe I'm doing something wrong here. I did have a disk like this some while ago and managed to get it running - but not this time.

Any advice please? Thanks, Dave

Re: HDD drive greyed out in Disc management

Hi ,

Normally in Windows the disk on which the OS is installed is the Disk 0 (zero).And it is the C: drive.

You are talking about Disk D: and it is Disk 1 - to me it looks like the DVD Rom drive.
    And yes , you need to insert a cd or dvd to play or look at the content.

So , all looks good to me ...

Oh , forgot to ask what OS is installed and if you have more than 1 HDD or more than 1 partition
    Last edited by pecrie; 10-12-2020, 07:08 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Re: HDD drive greyed out in Disc management (Sorted)

it sorted thanks, right just after I'd posted.

Ah, sorry Win 7 pro. x64 I didn't mention, clicking on the drive it kept telling me to insert a disc.... Oh no crying out loud, the penny just dropped it meant a CD or DVD disk of course it did

I tried always, now I cured the same problem moons ago using Diskpart but can't remember how.

All I did was lob it on a multi socket converter adapter with a USB out onto a Acer note Aspire pad, this runs Win 7 home x32 bit.... and it worked, this Acer pad is slower than a 90 year old snail - 'the slowest computer in the West'. I transferred it back the desktop and did the rest.

The thing was thinking it was a CD...! If you hadn't had said I still wouldn't have known, thanks. Dave

Comment

Working...
      X