Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest waterproof RF coaxial connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapest waterproof RF coaxial connector?

What would be the cheapest weatherproof RF coaxial connector one could get?

Searching for "cheapest waterproof RF coaxial connector" gives me F-connectors. F-that. Not 50 ohm. Next seems to be the N-connector, which I don't have any around. I suspect both still should be capped to keep dust and other debris out.

I suspect most hams would use an NMO mount on their cars to pass signals to the roof, but I want something that I could salvage cheap. Having it survive 75MPH+ "wind" is another story but that's a different problem to solve.

Re: Cheapest waterproof RF coaxial connector?

F are not 50ohm, they have no center, it's down to the cable

Comment

I suppose it should be clear, need female chassis connector...
      Last edited by eccerr0r; 05-09-2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Slather on some liquid electrical tape. that stuff is GREAT. or heat shrink around the entire thing ? Where are you trying to connect at the antenna feed point?

Comment

You have a drip-loop so water (rain) doesn't flow into the connector, from along the coax.

I've used waterproof heatshrink tubing, which is a bit thicker jacket and full of hot glue, it shrinks and squishes the hot glue. But not great for high flex. And you have to make sure wind etc. won't direct water inside.

3M has many specialty "rubber" electrician's tapes, self-fusing silicone rubber tapes that are great, this is what you would use at the tower.

Comment

Working...
          X