Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI GE 66 Raider - MS-15411 EC ROM

Hi there,
    I decided to post this in case someone else need it.
    MSI serves two update files for this board.

In case of flashing Main BIOS, pay atention to corresponding file required by your machine.
    Read your chip first and search by "E1541" and look if ends in .1xx, or .3xx.

However, EC ROM extraced is the same; linked at the end of post.

I used old Vertyanov programmer and no way to communicate with the KBC.
    It is KB9028G C, in BGA package.

SVOD2 left me do the job, but needed to try several times.
    Got tons of errors in Blank Check and Verify.

Here is the configuration I added to SVOD2:
    MS-1541, KSO3=27 KSI4=11 KSI7=14 KSI6=13 KSI5=12, first pin to right.
    I used 30 pins 0.5mm cable, connected between pins 11 and 40 of the keyboard controller.
    I got the above numbers extracting 10 from real pins of FPC4, listed in boardview.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 02-12-2023, 04:32 PM. Reason: added MS-1541 EC ROM.rar from external link

Re: MSI GE 66 Raider - MS-15411 EC ROM

Hi, Thanks for sharing this. I have a GE66 10sf that had a blown EC controller. I've replaced the controller and connected a CH341 programmer to the pins as listed in your message. Unfortunately the programmer can't detect the EC controller as an EPROM. Was there a particular order in which you powered things up? When you had to retry the programming what error was it giving for you?

Would be great to get the boardview and schematics for this laptop if you have them.

Thanks again for sharing your findings.

Comment

Originally posted by Timp74 View Post
      Hi, Thanks for sharing this. I have a GE66 10sf that had a blown EC controller. I've replaced the controller and connected a CH341 programmer to the pins as listed in your message. Unfortunately the programmer can't detect the EC controller as an EPROM. Was there a particular order in which you powered things up? When you had to retry the programming what error was it giving for you?

Would be great to get the boardview and schematics for this laptop if you have them.

Thanks again for sharing your findings.
      Where did you attach the pins to the programmer. NeoProgrammer,an alternative software version for the CH341A supports a few KB9xxx chips
      Attached Files
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
        Where did you attach the pins to the programmer. NeoProgrammer,an alternative software version for the CH341A supports a few KB9xxx chips
        Please see the photo. It's not very clear but the pins are connected as you listed them in the first post.

I'm wondering about the 3.3v.. With out KSO3 connected to ground, when powering up the motherboard a red light flashes and the 3.3v and 5v rails come up for a few milliseconds and then reset. They do that in time with the red light flashing. WITH KSO3 connected to ground both 3.3v and 5v are low. So where does the EC chip get it's supply voltage from in programming mode?

Attached Files

Comment

I'm wondering about the 3.3v....
          To answer my own question. The PU1 IC which looks like a TPS51225c has 3.3 and 5 volt LDOs which are aways on. It also controls the 3.3 and 5v rails. In the GE66 MS-1541 the circuit looks similar to the MS-16K2.

Comment

Originally posted by 2informaticos View Post
            I got the above numbers extracting 10 from real pins of FPC4, listed in boardview.
            Where did you get the boardview from? I've never bought anything from the websites that sell these things. Do they actually work?

Comment

Where did you get the boardview from? I've never bought anything from the websites that sell these things. Do they actually work?
              Just to add, the pinout for the KB9028g BGA chip is shown in the schematic for the Stream 14-z010nr which is on Badcaps...

Comment

Okay. So I removed the KB9028g chip and traced the pins. They are different to the pins given in the first post. Maybe a different version of the motherboard. The one I'm working on is version 001 I think. Part of the number is covered by the CPU support bracket so I can't see it clearly. Anyway, these are the absolute pin numbers for programming the KB9028g on this board:

KS03 - 37 - Connect to gound on MB, which also needs connecting to GND on the programmer.
                KSI4 - 28 - CS
                KSI5 - 27 - CLK
                KSI6 - 26 - MOSI/DI
                KSI7 - 25 - MISO/DO

Pin 1 is nearest the KB IC on FPC4

There are a couple of test point near the KB IC that are easier to solder onto, although not for the CS pin.

A few things to note if you're using a CH341a based programmer and NeoProgrammer.
                - In NeoProgrammer check the auto detect of the ENE chips is enable. It was disabled by default on my install, so the IC wasn't detected.
                - The CH341a Black programmer I used has the 3.3v fix applied(Google it). Possibly not an issue.
                - Seems best to power the board first then connect the programmer to the host computer. So the IO lines aren't higher than Vcc. The KB IC gets 3.3v from PU1's 3.3v LDO no external power is needed.

Unfortunately after successfully reprogramming the chip the laptop only powers on to a black screen. It charges, and the keyboard and front light work. The CPU and GPU warm up, only the CPU fan spins. Possibly damaged the KB chip while reballing it..

Comment

hi, i´m new to this site, i´m looking for the msi ms-1541 boardview, but anywhere i look, seems that every boardview is a scam, do you have any safe place where i can find it?

Comment

Originally posted by msigs60 View Post
                    hi, i´m new to this site, i´m looking for the msi ms-1541 boardview, but anywhere i look, seems that every boardview is a scam, do you have any safe place where i can find it?
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41
                    Attached Files

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                    Become a Badcaps supporter
                    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                    Thanks to all supporters.
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Working...
                    X