Cleaning corrosion from boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning corrosion from boards

At times I got to clean corrosion caused by air from the sea of a board and I was wondering what you use to clean such corrosion? The fancy contact cleaners, PCB cleaners and 98% isopropyl alcohol I have tried before are irritating to especially my eyes and I don't even want to think what all those toxic fumes are doing to my lungs and getting a face respirator with oxygen tanks and all to use each time I want to clean a board is just rediculous. The cleaners and alcohol also leave a residu behind that's very hard to get rid of or make the board look dull and not glossy anymore. There must be something more safer for me and the boards to use?
    Last edited by Neelix; 02-05-2015, 04:02 AM.

Re: Cleaning corrosion from boards

The same goes for flux cleaners. Toxic and harsh chemicals that are harmfull to my health
    Last edited by Neelix; 02-05-2015, 04:40 AM.

Comment

IPA is flux cleaner, your supposed to use it in a vented area - or outdoors.

got a foto of the type of stuff your trying to clean off?

Comment

The white residue left after IPA use is harmless just wipe off I am not sure what to use for your situation salt water damage is very corrosive I have always use IPA and no harm to me I am 67 still gotng strong.

Comment

Which is more dangerous, isopropanol or acetone that eats through polystyrene and many plastics...

Funny thing is that acetone is actually a metabolic intermediate...

Comment

acetone takes the paint off resistors - i wont touch it for that reason.

Comment

Have you tried Deoxit? It doesn't seem to leave too much behind and does a fair job on corrosion.

Comment

If it ain't broke, dont fix it, in my opinion when dealing with water/saltwater damage. If you can't wash it off with distilled water, better leave a sleeping dog lie. The corrosion you see may be what's left of your tracks and IC pins...

Comment

I found that cleaning battery terminals in a rechargeable solar garden light with vinegar helped fix a contact problem since the rechargeable battery inside leaked, then I gave them a clean with metho.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

vinegar destroys alkaline crystals from battery leakage, i often use on on stuff like tv remotes.
                    you should really flush the vinegar off afterwards though.

Comment

Would an ultrasonic cleaner work for something like that?
                      ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

to remove the alkaline, or the vinegar?

using vinegar on battery leaks does not simply remove it, it eats it leaving just hydrogen gas.

Comment

2nd eccerr

Comment

Vinegar fumes (acetic acid) can be irritating to your airways in high concentrations so if you use a lot ventilate appropriately. Fortunately if it smells too strong then it is probably too strong. I've used it to help clean oxidization but it's no magic "TarnX" type solution, it required scrubbing with a toothbrush, then rinsed with warm water, allowed to dry and/or hit with canned air and a hair dryer. IPA isn't going to do much to corrosion based on my experience.

Comment

Solvents that will leave no residue are Trichlorethane or Trichlorethylene. Thrichlorethane was stop in 1996. These chemicals are toxic to the nervous system. But they are the only ones that will leave no residue. I used these chemicals to clean miniature boards that work at a current of 1 X10 -14 amperes. Most applications do not require the boards be cleaned that well. Isopropyl Alcohol is a relative safe to use in small quantities with out a hood fan. It will turn the board white a little, electrically it should be fine unless you have a circuit that is extremely sensitive to any type of residue left. Of what I have learned is all other cleaners will leave residue except the two I have mentioned above.
                              Last edited by keeney123; 07-13-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X