kit
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/271852285421

or built
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121539282922

Comment

Re: desoldering station suggestion aoyue 474+ vs aoyue 474++ vs csi 474a

no i do not stj

Comment

Stj: thats pretty cool. I have wanted a second iron so i can have one iron with a chisel and one with a finer tip for smt, thats pretty affordable. Even cheap enough you could get a pair and run hot tweezers.

Comment

yea, but soldering tweezers arent cheap afaik.

what you could do is get a couple of the kits, and a big case wih a single transformer to run both.

Comment

what temp range can i control temp at using digital sildering or desoldering stations?.....0 to 900f?

if i want to set tip to produce 95f can i?....is it truely variable?

Comment

upper limit is usually 450c but even that will destroy the tips
              you never need more than 350c for soldering, maybe 400c for desoldering.

minimum is down to the controller.
              you just have to read the seller's info.

and yes, it's variable.
              the microcontroller pulses the power to the iron while monitoring the sensor to get the iron to give the dialed in temperature.

the ebay conversion kit i linked for example says
              Temperature adjustment range: 200C-480C Maximum Power: 70W
              btw, we dont use F in europe, so i only know centigrade
              Last edited by stj; 08-10-2015, 07:28 AM.

Comment

i want something with more control ...i want truely variable if they make them and not too costly

well obviously not 0f .but maybe start at 100f to max....

Comment

i figured that...how about 50c to max

Comment

no idea, but why? no solder melts at 50c

Comment

ok......thanks....

Comment

I wouldn't buy anything by Aoyue. They sell cheap garbage that will break, like the first time you use it, and parts won't be available. Go with Hakko, you won't regret it.
                        ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

hi...hakko too costly......but i dont want something that will break in one day.....the aoyue has pretty good reviews......why u say it breaks?

and im novice....o would use it once in a while not 10hrs a day 5days week

Comment

Originally posted by shelby5041 View Post
                            hi...hakko too costly......but i dont want something that will break in one day.....the aoyue has pretty good reviews......why u say it breaks?

and im novice....o would use it once in a while not 10hrs a day 5days week

This is my Aoyue nightmare. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44489

First one the motor started seizing up after about a week, but I really only used it a couple times for a few minutes until the day it died. That day I'd used it for about 3 hours. Returned it for a replacment. Heating element died in less than a week. Replaced the element, it died again after a day of use. Granted, I had the heat all the way up to 450°C, but if it can be turned up that high, it should be able to handle the heat. I noticed the pump housing was cracked when I changed the first element. Tossed it in the corner under the workbench. Forgot about it for a few weeks. Then I had a board like yours which needed to be repaired and spent way too much time fighting with the damn lead free solder and cheap solder suckers. Decided to fix it again, but forgot about the pump housing being cracked. Now if have a paperweight. I'm going to contact Aoyue directly and see if they have the pump. If not then I'll modify it and add an external pump. For what I have invested, I could have bought the Hakko. Aoyue will never get a penny from me again. Except they will get the cost of the pump if they have it. Then I might sell this and get the Hakko.

Comment

well i appreciate the real life feedback on the ayoue....

even good brands like hakko will have bad reviews....just not as many

Comment

It's entirely possible that I never would have had a problem if I didn't have the heat cranked all the way up. I think the heat is what made the motor go in the first one. But, it's a bad design if you can turn it up so high that it burns out the element or overheats the motor.

Comment

yep....i bought a 180 watt soldering gun for the hell of it from harbor freight...its a pos.....the tips cant take the power of the gun...tip lasted me 1 use and blew apart lol....only paid 10.00 for it.....

Comment

I'm not much for cheap tools. I've lost too much money on them. I do have a cheap hot air station which I've had for nearly 2 years and I can't knock it. It's a Kendall 852D++ and was only about $110. The iron doesn't regulate the heat good anymore, but I worked this thing daily from August of 2013 until I got my Hakko FX888D last month. Probably if I replaced the element with the spare which came with it, it would be fine again. I just use it for a second iron when I have SMD components to remove. Two irons makes stuff easier.

Comment

the kendal is rated pretty high on amazon ....75.00 free ship

Comment

stj highly recommends buying a soldering iron that uses full length tips......not the type that are short and screw into element...which is most common

whats ur opinion

Comment

Originally posted by shelby5041 View Post
                                          yep....i bought a 180 watt soldering gun for the hell of it from harbor freight...its a pos.....the tips cant take the power of the gun...tip lasted me 1 use and blew apart lol....only paid 10.00 for it.....
                                          Agreed. Same thing happened to me. Then i replaced the tip and the gun itself overheated, melted and burned.

Comment

Working...
                                          X