Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osciliscope newbie

Hello all
    I am woorking on repairing pc many years and in the last year I am trying to repair laptop motherboards.
    Many told me that I need an osciloscope for repairing laptop motherboars and other electronic as well.
    Can somene help me to choose a cheap one and guide me how to start working with an osciloscope (book, webpage ,etc)
    I worked with osciloscopes in school but I wasn't paying too much attention
    So I need a newbie guide.
    thanks in advance

Re: Osciliscope newbie

A friend told me that the oscilloscope must have component tester but he doesnt know any model.
    What is the best digital or analogue?

Comment

eevblog??

Comment

I am sure someone will help you soon. Here is a link to a tread with a similar question. You might want to take a look. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48020

Comment

Sometimes I wonder: what do you use a scope for, when repairing modern equipment. I think for the most part you're looking at power supply issues because data signals transition too fast for people to see (and tends to be meaningless by itself). Since power supplies rarely run at several MHz (due to gate and circuit loss at high frequencies, along with RFI) even older low frequency scopes are sufficient...

Or has someone found some great use for scopes on board repair? Maybe a logic analyzer if used properly is more useful?

I'd guess 'scopes are more for people who want to do analog/radio work. Or if you want to reverse engineer something.
          Last edited by eccerr0r; 08-31-2015, 11:54 PM.

Comment

if you dont know what to use one for then you dont need one.
            besides, they arent toys - atleast usefull ones arent, you can expect to pay several hundred for a new one.
            even an ancient scope is going to be expensive if it's fast enough to be usefull - like 100Mhz+

Comment

Working...
            X