• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to extract and edit a Lenovo Phoenix TDK Bios

I see no clear guide on how to extract EC rom alone

Comment

How to extract and edit a Lenovo v14-igl Bios

How can i extract and edit a Lenovo v14-igl Bios. i seen the other tutorial , but its different from this type.

Comment

Re: How to extract and edit a Lenovo v14-igl Bios

Originally posted by jacospama View Post
        How can i extract and edit a Lenovo v14-igl Bios. i seen the other tutorial , but its different from this type.
        Create a new thread, upload your bios backup file, write your device serial number and someone will help you.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests
        all donations are welcome,
        see the donate button at the bottom of the page, or
        >>>>>
        click on this link to donate via PayPal. <<<<<
        Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thank You
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-23-2022, 04:36 PM. Reason: edit full OP quote.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
            Just a sidenote: Some other phoenix bios headers need cutting from 0-1E7 (length 1E8),after selecting the bios/bios update length check the last hex line of your backup to make sure it matches.

NEW SIDENOTE:Some newer phoenix bios headers need cutting from 0-31F (Length 320)
            How do you determine where to cut? Or do you HAVE TO have a dump from a working IC first to match up to? Please tell me that's not the case!
            Rules:
            1 - If it can happen, it will.
            2 - There is always a way.
            3 - There is always a BETTER way.
            4 - There is an exception to every Rule, including Rule #4.

Comment

SMDFlea, thank you for this guide! It helped me to extract a BIOS bin file for my Thinkbook 13s G3 ACN that got bricked due to a failed BIOS update. The BIOS on my Thinkbook is a 16MB large file, so i had to adopt the process in the Hex editor in order to make it work. I read the old bricked bios bin with a CH341a programmer.

As a noob i found this forum post through google. I will leave some notes for other noobs, hope that it helps someone to unbrick their device after failed bios flash.

1.) extract cap file from Lenovo BIOS exe installer like described above

2.) open cap file in HxD hex editor, select area to cut (strg+e). Set start offset to 0 and end offset to 31F (Length 320). Delete selection.

3.) compare the first three lines of your backup bios.bin file with the first three lines of the file you are editing. This step is to be sure that the cut point 31F is the right one in your case.

4.) select 16MB of Hex data: strg+e, offset 0 to FFFFFF , copy selection to new file

5.) in my new hex file i did a comparison with my backuped bin and checked line 200 to 250 to see if both looked the same

6.) after i was sure that the beginning of my new bios file had the same structure like my backuped bios bin i saved the new file as bios.bin.

I flashed this bin using the CH341a programmer tool. I used the software version CH341A v1.31(1.4) (CH341AFree). After setting the chip size to 128Mbit/16MByte the chip was detected without fuss. The Bios Chip on my device is a Winbond W74M12JW with an additional authentication layer. But for flashing it is the same as any Winbond W25xx SPI flash. Source: Reveltronics Forum - W74M Authentication Flash (W74M12JV, W74M12JW)

Flashing the bios worked like a charm. My laptop started and showed the lenovo logo. I was able to enter the bios.

Few flaws after flashing the clean bios file to my device:

- I had to set model and serial number with Lenovo U1 tool and create a new UUID
              - My windows oem license key shows got lost
              - Fingerprint sensor seems to work, but my old windows install won't log in through Fingerprint anymore.
              - Keyboard backlight toggle through FN + space doesn´t work anymore
              - some online services (like google drive) that use the UUID for authentification had to be set up again
              - I am still in Bios setup mode and don't know how and why to switch to user mode
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey man, Could you upload the BIOS file you used? It's the same one my notebook uses, and I'm not sure if I did the procedure correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by GustavoToledo View Post
                  Hey man, Could you upload the BIOS file you used? It's the same one my notebook uses, and I'm not sure if I did the procedure correctly.
                  Which post are you replying to ? . Post your original backup and the new bios you extracted
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

as usual , best sheriff in town. Thanks for the guide SMDFlea.

Comment

Hi, I have a Lenovo Ideapad U310 Type 4375 and I extract the BIOS to flash it with my programmer (CH341a). This notebook's BIOS has a really awful bug, when Windows enters in recovery mode, the BIOS becomes inaccessible. This was solved in the 65CN99WW version (you can see it here, in the update notes), but as you can imagine, this notebook has an older version (65CN13WW) that now is inaccessible due a Windows problem. I tried to update it from Windows but it impossible (Windows 10 x64 in UEFI mode, as the readme says).

I followed the instructions in this thread but it didn't worked, I don't know if was because I did something wrong or because this BIOS has a different header size. I tried three times without success, the notebook doesn't power on, just a few leds and then it power off. So I re flashed the backup again and the notebook still working, but with the bug.

In the attached zip file there are various files. "backup_65CN13WW.bin" is the back that I made with my programmer. "65cn99ww" is the newest BIOS from the Lenovo site and in the "ext" folder is the previous BIOS extracted.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DiddiAb View Post
                        - I am still in Bios setup mode and don't know how and why to switch to user mode
                        Do you mean manufacturer mode? Did you find a solution for this?

The reason i am asking is that i have followed the procedure and everything is ok except that i am in manufacturer mode and that disables TPM. Which is needed for windows 11.

If anyone has an idea how to solve this please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by ranixon View Post
                          Hi, I have a Lenovo Ideapad U310 Type 4375 and I extract the BIOS to flash it with my programmer (CH341a). This notebook's BIOS has a really awful bug, when Windows enters in recovery mode, the BIOS becomes inaccessible. This was solved in the 65CN99WW version (you can see it here, in the update notes), but as you can imagine, this notebook has an older version (65CN13WW) that now is inaccessible due a Windows problem. I tried to update it from Windows but it impossible (Windows 10 x64 in UEFI mode, as the readme says).

I followed the instructions in this thread but it didn't worked, I don't know if was because I did something wrong or because this BIOS has a different header size. I tried three times without success, the notebook doesn't power on, just a few leds and then it power off. So I re flashed the backup again and the notebook still working, but with the bug.

In the attached zip file there are various files. "backup_65CN13WW.bin" is the back that I made with my programmer. "65cn99ww" is the newest BIOS from the Lenovo site and in the "ext" folder is the previous BIOS extracted.
                          Scroll all the way to the bottom of your backup and copy the hex from the last line: 0F 09 E9 6B F9 00 00 00 78 56 34 12 00 00 F5 FF ,search in the 65CN99WW.cap for the same hex.Thats the end of the bios.The line below starts at 8001D0 ,we can delete 0-1CF (Length 1D0) at the top,thats the header.It gets a bit more complicated after that as you might expect the top of the file now to match the top of your backup with similar hex but its all FF`s.Scroll down until you find the first big chunk of hex,its starting at 1D0000 .The end off-set of your 8MB backup is 7FFFFF ,select 1D0000 and 7FFFFF off-sets in the update,copy and save into a new file.It isn`t a full bios image,only a bios region.You can copy that over your old bios with a hex editor or use UEFITool 0.25 to replace it.The update also has an EC update, offsets 800000 - 81FFFF (length 20000). To copy your DMI,the serial number etc,open the bios with UEFITool and copy/replace the first padding area, or use a hex editor using offsets 180048 - 183FFF

Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-30-2023, 11:54 AM.
                          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Scroll down until you find the first big chunk of hex,its starting at 1D0000 .The end off-set of your 8MB backup is 7FFFFF ,select 1D0000 and 7FFFFF off-sets in the update,copy and save into a new file.It isn`t a full bios image,only a bios region.
                            Thank you for your answer. I selected the regions, but both sizes are different. 6815744 for the backup, and 6488064 for the region. Should I replace only a part of it or I selected more than I should

Copied section

Backup

You can copy that over your old bios with a hex editor or use UEFITool 0.25 to replace it.The update also has an EC update, offsets 800000 - 81FFFF (length 20000). To copy your DMI,the serial number etc,open the bios with UEFITool and copy/replace the first padding area, or use a hex editor using offsets 180048 - 183FFF
                            The padding area in the BIOS that I copied?
                            Attached Files

Comment

The update also has an EC update, offsets 800000 - 81FFFF (length 20000). To copy your DMI,the serial number etc,open the bios with UEFITool and copy/replace the first padding area, or use a hex editor using offsets 180048 - 183FFF

Hi again, there is something that I don't understand about the EC Update. In the offsets 180048 - 183FFF are saved the DMI, serial number, etc. This offsets are from the backup BIOS? Then I have to replace them in the EC Update that I extract from the Update, and then the EC in the new BIOS, right?

Now, how I identify the EC offsets in the new BIOS?

Comment

How to extract and edit a Lenovo Phoenix TDK Bios.
                                Followed your instructions and saved Lenovo Ryzen 5 laptop from bad BIOS!
                                Thank you!
                                Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-26-2023, 10:11 AM. Reason: removed full OP quote

Comment

great thread, I followed the procedure to extract the bios but ended with a file 8193bytes, and I understand its supposed to be 8192, where did I mess? tried it twice, will cut one byte from the top, then one from the bottom, and check. just asking this as a curiosity. thank you. sorry to resuscitate this one, not trying to necropost, just thinking other people might have the same issue in 2023, thanks. (Lenovo B80 40 LA2092P Rev 3.0)

Comment

Originally posted by ortegacomputacion View Post
                                    great thread, I followed the procedure to extract the bios but ended with a file 8193bytes, and I understand its supposed to be 8192, where did I mess? tried it twice, will cut one byte from the top, then one from the bottom, and check. just asking this as a curiosity. thank you. sorry to resuscitate this one, not trying to necropost, just thinking other people might have the same issue in 2023, thanks. (Lenovo B80 40 LA2092P Rev 3.0)
                                    yes... the extracted bios is longer... use the HxD program (which is free) and cut it to the correct size (cut the header)... keep reading.. you also have pictures .. SMDFlea explained very well.
                                    Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Hello,
                                      I have a Lenovo V14-ADA 82C6
                                      S/N: PF278NFW
                                      I tried to extract and edit the bios from the Lenovo update file by using your tutorial. I think it is not a Lenovo Phoenix TDK Bios. I attached the original/downloaded from lenovo bios.cap file and the extracted and edited bios.cap file. If someone could take a look and tell me if did it rigth. Thank you.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                      X