Laptop shutting down and refusing to restart till some time passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop shutting down and refusing to restart till some time passes

Laptop : Lenovo Y520 i5-7300HQ 16GB RAM GTX1050Ti 240GB NVME SSD 1TB HDD.

I bought my laptop in 2018, the guarantee ended in May of this year, it's been working(mainly gaming) fine for all this time except a minor issue with Windows warning me about power surge on USb port all the time when gaming, and it wasn't my mouse, I tried another mouse and the same issue, so I thought it's a driver problem and just ignored it.

My real issue:

My laptop appeared to be shutting down randomly at first, and when I try to restart it, the keyboard lights turn on, the HDD makes its usual starting sound and I can hear the two fans spinning, my mouse lights on as well, but the screen stays black, nothing happens for 5-10 seconds then the laptop shuts down totally, keeps doing this if I insist on turning it on, I stop trying and leave it be for a couple minutes, not sure exactly how many it needs, then come back and turn it on and it's working again, it loads everything, windows 10 starts, everything looks to be working fine, I wrote this post using my laptop, then once I open Lenovo Nerve Sense (a software that controls fans speed and some hardware), my laptop shuts down again, same story happens, leave it for a bit, come back it works again, this time instead of opening Lenovo Nerve Sense, I open Lenovo Vantage (another software that controls my laptop hardware), you guessed it, my laptop shuts down, same story, leave it then come back, it starts as usual, this time I run Lenovo's diagnostic tool, finds no issues whatsoever, I even made a bootable USB from it, managed it to run it when my laptop boots and it found no issues as well, you might think it's a temperature issue, nope, never had that, even while gaming my CPU, GPU never go passed 65C, my SSD and HDD never go passed 35C, my RAM sticks never go over 60C, and I used to run my fans at max speed all the time, I enjoy their noise.
    BTW, I can even still game of my laptop (played Bannerlord before writing this), everything runs butter smooth.

My laptop's history:

I undervolted my CPU and Nvidia GPU for over a year and it was always stable, so this wouldn't have been the issue, temps were always fine, even now, I did once overclock my display to 62hz then took it back to 60hz, this can't have been the cause because my laptop worked fine afterwards for months.
    My capslock key one time stopped working when I click it, but its backlight turns on when I enable capslock from the On-screen keyboard, that was weird.

My troubleshooting:

Removed SSD, same issue.
    Removed HDD, same issue.
    Removed both SSD and HDD, same issue.
    Removed one RAM stick, same issue.
    Removed the other RAM stick and put the other in, same issue.
    Switched their positions, same issue.
    Cleaned the fans, same issue.
    Removed Battery, same issue.
    Disabled secure boot, same issue.
    Disabled fastboot, same issue.
    All my drivers are up to date, same issue.
    Lowered my undervolt, same issue.

My guess:

- Fans are the cause.
    - Keyboard is the cause somehow.
    - Maybe some capacitor is losing it, hope not.

What do you think?
    Any help is appreciated.

Re: Laptop shutting down and refusing to restart till some time passes

Time to open up the power brick!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
      Time to open up the power brick!
      What power brick? And why do I get the feeling you're trolling? :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Qattos View Post
        What power brick? And why do I get the feeling you're trolling? :'(
        LOL! I mean the power supply.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

There are many potential faults that can cause this shutting-down problem. When the problem happens, measure voltages on the AC adapter and on the mainboard using a multimeter.
          Last edited by caspian; 06-22-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

LOL! I mean the power supply.
            Oh
            Well, doesn't having the same issue when using the battery mean it's not because of power supply? Please elaborate if I'm mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
              There are many potential faults that can cause this shutting-down problem. When the problem happens, monitor voltages on the AC adapter and on the mainboard using a multimeter.
              I'll get a multimeter tomorrow and put everything I learned from a bunch of Youtube videos into practice.
              But I'm a bit confused, or maybe ignorant, isn't having the same issue when only booting from battery means it's not a problem with the AC adapter?

Comment

It is only a probable guess. Measuring the output voltage of the AC adapter is the best way to test it. Measure the output voltage both when the problem happens and does not happen. But probably, the fault exists on a component on the mainboard.

Comment

It is only a probable guess. Measuring the output voltage of the AC adapter is the best way to test it. Measure the output voltage both when the problem happens and does not happen. But probably, the fault exists on a component on the mainboard.
                  I will do that and I do think it's some faulty component on the main board, which is why the laptop turns on and works normal after taking a rest, logically this would mean overheating but the temps are below 65 under heavy load.
                  Thanks for your time.

Comment

Oh
                    Well, doesn't having the same issue when using the battery mean it's not because of power supply? Please elaborate if I'm mistaken.
                    Well, I would then attempt to check for caps that aren't in spec on the motherboard then.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

open the laptop and take out the motherboard. Look carefully for any corrosion,rusted element on the motherboard. Clean it with isoprpyl alcohol. May be some cold solder somewhere.

Comment

Well, I would then attempt to check for caps that aren't in spec on the motherboard then.
                        I got a multimeter and started measuring caps while checking the schematics of the mo-bo, but it's quite confusing, so many symbols and ways of testing different components, some components are so tiny I avoid touching them for fear something might happen to them.
                        I'm at a loss right now.

Comment

Measure voltage on big coils and the AC adapter only. Measuring small components has the risk of shorting them. To measure capacitors, you should desolder them from the mainboard.
                          To learn how to measure voltage, search for videos on "laptop voltage measurement".
                          Last edited by caspian; 06-24-2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                            open the laptop and take out the motherboard. Look carefully for any corrosion,rusted element on the motherboard. Clean it with isoprpyl alcohol. May be some cold solder somewhere.
                            I took the motherboard out, my eyes hurt from looking at it and its tiny components, I didn't notice any corrosion or rust, but wait a second, is it normal behavior for the laptop to sometimes work and sometimes not even show anything on screen if its motherboard components have some corrosion or rust? I'd guess it should not work at all if it has corrosion or rust, right?

When I boot it up and it shuts down after around 5-10 seconds, during this brief time the fans are turning, keyboard and its backlight are working, the HDD makes its usual sound, my mouse lights up, but the display stays black, if logic is to be used here I'd say the cause of these boot up failures happens somewhere between all those components I mentioned working and the display receiving a signal to work as well, so I disconnected the display cable from its port on the motherboard and the boot up failure persists, meaning the display is not the issue, but something along the way to the display is causing these failures, I don't know, I could be talking gibberish.

I have the schematics of my motherboard but I'm too slow in my attempts to understand them.
                            One little addition is that when I posted this I was able to boot up at one point and I even stressed my CPU and GPU with a game reaching 70c temps and nothing crashed, so, WTF is going on

Comment

My eyes are becoming weak due to aging. I have to use a Magnifier or Microscope to look at mainboard's components.
                              No, corrosion can cause intermittent faults.
                              You have to discover what operations on the laptop cause the shutdown and what operations does not.
                              Last edited by caspian; 06-24-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Measure voltage on big coils and the AC adapter only. Measuring small components has the risk of shorting them. To measure capacitors, you should desolder them from the mainboard.
                                To learn how to measure voltage, search for videos on "laptop voltage measurement".
                                The AC adapter is working as it should, 20.6v.
                                As for big coils, I don't know how those look, I'll check the schematics.
                                I'll avoid measuring small components, I hope it's not too late because I touched some of them
                                And thanks for your time and recommendations, I am watching Louis Rossmann videos and a guy called Sorin, trying to learn.

Comment

My eyes are becoming weak due to aging. I have to use a Magnifier or Microscope to look at mainboard's components.
                                  No, corrosion can cause intermittent faults.
                                  Oh, that could be it then.
                                  If only the owners of badcaps would accept boards from my country, I'd send it to them, but they only accept from US and Canada.
                                  Anyways Thanks again, I'll report back once I have news.

Comment

Big coils are the cubic gray components on the mainboard.

Comment

If only the owners of badcaps would accept boards from my country
                                      You could try contacting
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/member.php?u=21626
                                      who is also in Bucharest
                                      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                                      X