ASUS P5E-VM DO no boot with a twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS P5E-VM DO no boot with a twist

So I have this P5E that doesn't boot. As soon as the PSU is turned on it spins up then stops. I was poking around with a screwdriver on the header panel looking for the Power Switch pins and must have inadvertently touched the Speaker connector pin to the power switch pin. The board booted into the BIOS! I turned off the PSU, downloaded the manual and found the pinout. I connected a pushbutton switch to the correct Power Switch pins and turned on the PSU. Same deal as before, without pressing the switch the board spins up with no display then shuts down. When I press the pushbutton power switch the board spins up, stays running but no boot.

There are no standard KZGs on this board, there are a cluster of what seem to be polys
    around the cpu under the heatsink. They have no vent on the top. They are 4v 680uf TWV and look like UCC caps to me.

So in summary, it looks like I accidentally applied +5v to the power switch and it caused the board to boot into the BIOS.

Like to hear your ideas on this. Thanks in advance!

Re: ASUS P5E-VM DO no boot with a twist

It was a RAM issue. Moved the stick around and got "60" on the first two slots, then "d4" on the remaining two, using my PCI code reader.

Tried single-sided Samsung 1GB stick and it booted up. Gave me a "fan error" the first time, but after that it worked. The PC mouse port does not work. I only have the one stick of the Samsung RAM. Will try moving it around and see what happens.

Found a lot of people online having RAM problems with these boards.

Comment

So when I attempted to boot this morning with the same ram that worked yesterday, I am now getting 60,85,60,60 on the code reader. A second try got some 2 d4 codes and 2 60 codes. In other words whatever controls the RAM is inconsistent. Suspect this board is trash

Comment

u can try cleaning the dimm slot contacts on the board with a q-tip dipped in ipa. do the same for the ram module goldfingers as well. sometimes u get inconsistant ram issues due to dirty dimm slot contacts.

try that before giving the board up for focked...

Comment

Working...
        X