Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macintosh 6100 Power Supply

Hello folks!
    I am currently working on a Macintosh 6100 Power Supply and I really need a capacitor list! Maybe someone has such a computer and can open it to tell me which capacitors belong where.

Apple Part Number: 614-0022

Thanks in advance!

Re: Macintosh 6100 Power Supply

Looks like that's an Astec AA16990. Is there a reason you are assuming the problem is a capacitor?

Here is an older thread about this PSU model, https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=AA16990 .
    Last edited by PeteS in CA; 12-18-2020, 05:39 PM.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
      I have already seen this post and this is not the PSU I have.
      My problem is that I have a PSU without capacitors and therefore I need this list I talked about.
      Attached Files

Comment

Missing capacitors would definitely be a problem. I'm not even familiar with the PSU brand, but my wild guess would be that the smaller output capacitors are 1000uF and the larger 1500uF. I don't think a guess would be good enough to go with, though.

Since that was built in 1985, most currently available low impedance capacitors are much lower impedance that what was originally installed. When you settle on values I'd suggest Nichicon PS or PM series. Or possibly PJ series.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

adrian black on youtube may help, he recently rebuilt a 6100 on a video i think.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I am going to contact him.

Comment

I'm new here but have recapped a 660AV that this power supply powers. I've also fixed a bunch of other things kicking around the house with bad caps.

I know it's a year ago that you posted this but I have this exact power supply! The Dyna-comp DCF 803, not the ASTEC!

I need to recap it, I believe, to fix a very noisy video output on the system. I don't know if it will fix my noisy/fuzzy video, but I might as well give it a shot! My SGI Indy has the same problem - but that one has obviously bulging caps and so no wonder the system from the audio output to the video display is so noisy! I've taken it out of service since.

Do you still need values for all the caps?

Comment

the sgi box probably has leaking panasonic FC's in it.

Comment

Power Macintosh 6100, it looks like, based on both the date code on that PSU's PCB and a hit on DuckDuckGo.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    Power Macintosh 6100, it looks like, based on both the date code on that PSU's PCB and a hit on DuckDuckGo.
                    Several machines share the exact same chassis and power supply. There is more than one power supply model design that share the same Apple part number.

Unlike other threads on Badcaps here, where these machines contain an ASTEC power supply, mine has this Dyna Comp Inc. unit instead.

Instead of it being multiple boards like the ASTEC, mine looks exactly like the single PCB power supply as pictured above, except I have all the original caps on mine and it is working.

Comment

I pulled all the caps off the board last night. It was quite tricky, because they decided to manufacture it by bending the cap's leads quite far over and leave big tails, and solder them all down. It took a lot of heat to get a mini-screwdriver under each lead and bend it up straight, clip it off and remove the caps.

My board did not have any errors regarding the polarity of the Electrolytic caps. The silkscreen shows a +, and before soldering, they clearly had someone mark the (-) lead with a dashed line using a sharpie. If you use isopropyl alcohol to clean the board, you might lose these marks.

Code:
                      Apple Quadra 660AV power supply
                      Manuf: Dyna Comp Inc.
                      Made In: India
                      Model Number: DCF 803
                      Apple Part Number: 614-0022
                      Serial No: DA33238ZDP31

C16		33uF		35V		85C
                      C10		33uF		35V		85C
                      C36		10uF		35V		85C
                      C30		82uF		35V		85C

C24		330uF		35V		105C
                      C25		330uF		35V		105C
                      C26		220uF		35V		105C
                      C29		220uF		35V		105C
                      C31		22uF		35V		105C

C17		2200uF		10V		105C
                      C18		2200uF		10V		105C
                      C19		2200uF		10V		105C
                      C20		2200uF		10V		105C
                      C21		2200uF		10V		105C

BOM:
                      ====

Electrolytic 35V @ 85C
                      ----------------------
                      (2) 33uF
                      (1)	10uF
                      (1) 82uF

Electrolytic 35V @ 105C
                      -----------------------
                      (2) 220uF
                      (1) 22uF
                      (2) 330uF

Electrolytic 10V @ 105C
                      -----------------------
                      (5) 2200uF

Comment

your caplist is missing among other important stuff, the diameter and height of each cap.

Comment

That's right, I didn't bother doing that yet. It was late last night. I'll try and get back here soon and post it.

The original caps did not seem to be very notable, but I'm semi new at identifying them. The larger brown ones that were rated 105 degrees C were marked with KME and were otherwise plain. It seems these are UCC KME series based on a google image search. Since I'll be ordering new parts from mouser.ca, I'll likely order the same ones as they at first glace appear to be still available.
                          Last edited by ghost180sx; 06-16-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

KME - replaced by KMG.
                            not a perticularly special cap.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Monkey King!

It seems that most of the caps on digikey.ca are non in stock. Typical! I'll have to get creative with the ordering and will work on it tonight.

Comment

i used a cloud before it was a thing!

Comment

I always thought clouds were vapourware. When's the release date again?

Here is an update with sizing and the original cap's type/series. Also a correction: the 82uF is a 105C rated.

Now the part where I have absolutely no experience about: What precisely to buy to replace these. I guess off to digikey.ca and the reference here on what caps are nice!

Code:
                                  All dims in mm:			Hgt.	Dia.	Ld.
                                  Electrolytic 35V @ 85C				Sp.
                                  ----------------------		---	---	---
                                  (2) 33uF	(SME)		11	5	3		
                                  (1) 10uF	(SME)		11	5	2

Electrolytic 35V @ 105C
                                  -----------------------
                                  (2) 220uF	(LXF)		19	8	4
                                  (1) 22uF	(KMF)		11	5	2
                                  (2) 330uF	(LXF)		19	10	5
                                  (1) 82uF	(LXF)		14	7	3

Electrolytic 10V @ 105C
                                  -----------------------
                                  (5) 2200uF	(LXF)		24	13	5

Comment

I just wanted to say that I successfully recapped my power supply with all the above values, using all Nichicon caps available at digikey.ca, and the computer never worked better. The built in video is crisp as the day the system shipped, and the system runs perfectly in every way. I didn't have to replace any of the high side input filter electrolytic or RIFA caps. I can't be happier - as I feel my "ultimate" 68k pizza box project is now complete! Total cost was $22 CAD, with one extra cap each as a spare in case I messed up my resoldering job.
                                    Last edited by ghost180sx; 07-13-2021, 02:29 PM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Working...
                                    X