Dell S2209WB monitor hard to turn on and shuts down by itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell S2209WB monitor hard to turn on and shuts down by itself

Monitor is very hard to turn on, but if I keep trying, eventually, after many, many attempts, it will come on. Then it started shutting down by itself and it got harder and harder to get back on. I checked for shut off timer, and energy saver and they are not on.

My research showed this is a common problem with monitors and the capacitors may be the cause. I took the monitor apart and the power board does not "visibly" show anything wrong and the capacitors all "look" good. Same thing with the main board. Pics below

Currently there does not seem to be any replacement power boards available. There are capacitor kits available. Pending what I learn here, I am thinking of pulling all 10 capacitors on the power board and testing them with a multimeter. My understanding is that without a ESR meter, this is the only way to check the capacitors. I have never checked capacitors before and would appreciate any guidance on repairing this monitor or testing the capacitors either on the board if possible, or off the board if necessary.

While I am a amateur at this, I have and can use a multimeter and soldering equipment. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Pics below.
    Attached Files

Re: Del S2209WB monitor hard to turn on and shuts down by itself

i see 4 bulged on the top . all on the cold side
    and 1 on the hot side ..all brown ones .
    renew them all
    Last edited by petehall347; 12-16-2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
      i see 4 bulged on the top . all on the cold side
      and 1 on the hot side ..all brown ones .
      renew them all
      Thanks petehall347! Are these the ones you are talking about? (pic below)
      Attached Files

Comment

yep them are those

Comment

I am going to recap the power board on this monitor, would it be a good idea to also recap the main board? Do main board capacitors frequently go bad? My very limited understanding is, capacitors are all prone to go bad so maybe I am answering my own question here?

Or, is the main board capacitors less likely to go bad? What would the experts here do?

Comment

i would do the power board .

Comment

Re: Dell S2209WB monitor hard to turn on and shuts down by itself

I am using Rubycon capacitors to recap the power board. Two of the 1000 uF 16V capacitors on my board have a diameter of 10mm and the Rubycon replacement ZLH series has a diameter of 8mm. I can get a Nichicon HZ series capacitor which also has a diameter of 10mm so I guess this would be the way to go?

I have spent a lot of time researching this with no definitive answer other then newer capacitors sometimes tend to be smaller and as long as they are rated the same I should be good.

Also, two of the 47 uF 50V capacitors on my board have a diameter of 6.5MM while the Rubycon replacements have a diameter of 8MM. I do not think that room or heat would be an issue. Will I be ok if I use the larger diameter 8mm capacitors here? The two in question are circled in the pic below.
              Attached Files

Comment

The diameter does not matter as long as there is room for them. sometimes smaller diameter caps can be taller. Cap sizes can be made smaller now due to better materials. You can also increase the voltage on the 1000µf 16v to 25v
                Also don't buy them off ebay, use Digikey or Mouser etc.
                Last edited by R_J; 12-31-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Would increasing the voltage to 25V make them likely to last longer on my application? Four 330 uF 35V capacitors went bad on this monitor can I up the voltage here to make them last longer? If so to what? Thanks
                  Last edited by voltman; 01-01-2020, 08:38 AM. Reason: content

Comment

With quality capacitors like Panasonc, Rubycon etc. they will last longer, but you can increase the voltage, that will also help. The 35v rating is likely ok but you can go from 35v to 50v but the size can also increase so check the size of the replacement.
                    It's just a lcd monitor power supply, its not really under a lot of stress like a power supply in an industrial application would be.

Comment

Did I make a mistake with one of the series of capacitors I ordered? After ordering, I found the spec sheets and 4 of the new capacitors are PX series, which are rated standard with a load life of only 1000 to 2000 hours. All of the others ordered (ZLJ, ZLH series) are rated long life, with a load life of 6000 to 10000 hours and two RX series are rated automotive and LED lighting applications, with a load life of 1000 to 4000 hrs. The PX series will replace the bad ones on my board. Was this a poor choice?

Comment

I recapped the power board, monitor is now working great! Thanks petehall347 and R_J for your help and also Chris from Badcaps.net who provided the caps and technical information.
                        Attached Files

Comment

+1

Comment

This applies to S2209Wb, S2209Wa, and S2209 monitors.

Over the last 12 months I have repaired two S2209Wb monitors (and two computer power supplies) by replacing the secondary-side capacitors. Both monitors failed, about 8 months apart, with the symptoms described here (failure to turn on, blinking white light in the "Power" button for several minutes before finally turning on).

There is a detailed & helpful video about this at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mehhXIm9FCU! The most difficult part was removing the front bezel. I used a paring knife, putty knife, and wide-blade screwdriver to get it off.

There are 11 electrolytic capacitors in my S2209Wb. The large bulk storage cap is expensive, but seldom fails under normal service. (It WILL fail if your AC power line experiences excessive voltage spikes or lightning strikes.) The ten remaining caps are:
                            (2 each) 1000 uF/16V - replaced by Rubycon 16ZLH1000MEFC10x16 (Nichicon RNE1C102MDNASQPH)
                            (These looked suspicious in my monitor.)
                            (2 each) 470uF/16V - replaced by Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 (United Chemi-Con APSG160ELL471MH08S)
                            (4 each) 330uF/35V - replaced by Panasonic EEU-FM1V331 (Panasonic EEH-AZK1V331B)
                            (2 each) 47uF/50V - replaced by Panasonic EEU-FR1H470B (Panasonic EEH-AZA1H470B)

I replaced all ten. I know that some of them have experienced significantly less electrical stress than others, but I won't take the time to reverse-engineer and analyze the circuit to determine which capacitors are most likely to fail. Cost for a full complement of 10 replacement parts is currently about US$10 (including postage) from reputable commercial distributors. It takes me 10 - 15 minutes to remove and replace one capacitor (after the PCB ass'y is out of the monitor), and a little more than an hour to do all ten. Facing those economic realities, I'll accept the cost of throwing away some perfectly usable parts versus knowing that all ten are better-than-new.

The replacement parts I listed all have electrical specs significantly better than the original components and should have a longer service lifetime. They are not the ONLY possible replacements; any of the major capacitor manufacturers can supply suitable long-life, low-ESR, 105C (or 125C) replacement capacitors. A higher voltage rating (e.g., 25V sted 16V) is quite acceptable, and a step or two greater capacitance (e.g., 390 uF or 470 uF sted 330 uF) should work in most applications. But be careful of physical size constraints on the PCB assembly!

I have also listed possible polymer electrolytic capacitor replacements. These have far superior electrical characteristics (and higher cost!) than the original parts, but may well give reliable service for decades.

Dale

P.S. - I hope I'm not guilty of Forum Necromancy for adding to a 2-yr old thread. I won't complain if somebody thinks I should ave started a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X