Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GL72 6QF, MS-16J51 me region 0.0.0.0 , powers off

Hello,
    I have a msi notebook that had burned southbridge and I replaced it.
    As before in order to work I reprogrammed bios with original from MSI.
    It works but at bios I can see me region is blank [0.0.0.0] and so it powers off after 30 minutes.
    Is there a workout with the new bios to make it work?
    I have attached original bios [old.bin] and the latest from msi [E1795IMS.11D]

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: me region 0.0.0.0 , powers off

the me is probably blank because you cant dump it with software - only a chip programmer.

maybe you can fix it with me-cleaner to not need one

Comment

Should be in https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23 .
      After replacing PCH you should just clean ME region (properly using Intel FITC) in the original dump.
      The image from MSI seems to contain the full ME region so it should work too though.
      Could be an issue with the ME disable strap, the replacement PCH or its soldering.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

maybe the bios isnt happy with the code in the KBC

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          maybe the bios isnt happy with the code in the KBC
          I believe that, with those apparently "smart power controllers". Just another thing to go wrong, IMHO!

Maybe this is why some new ATX motherboards have a power-cycling fault! (Which would be a KBC or equivalent. Possibly known as an embedded controller on ATX motherboards)
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-19-2021, 07:29 AM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

thank you all for your replies

@piernov
            as this is something I have done before again I agree that the image from MSI should work.
            I am guessing that this could be an issue with the soldering as you mentioned and confirmed my fears so I'll reball and inform for the results.

Comment

Did you get the PCH from a donor board,if so what make/model and motherboard part number
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

it was bought from a trusted seller in Shenzhen

Comment

As long as it's the same sSpec and it doesn't look cooked too much it should be ok.
                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Besides the points already made by piernov its possible that the PCH you bought has boot guard enabled in it or some other settings, it depends exactly what board it came from as its most likely a reballed chip rather than brand new ?
                    The Intel PTT power-up state is disabled in your backup, and its enabled by default in the stock bios, i don`t think that would be an issue but you can try the attached bios,also there`s an ME updater on the MSI support page with a stock ME region,https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GL72-6QF ive used the same ME FW version but used PRD RGN, and disabled Intel PTT power-up state.
                    Before flashing the bios its worth trying Flash Programming Tool with the command -greset to force the PCH to accept the settings from the bios ME FW ,if that doesn`t work try the MSI ME updater,it will update the ME and force a reset.
                    Attached Files
                    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thank you for the new tools and bios.
                      So far I have used an external programmer and the update bios opion from bios menu.
                      I have already tried the MSI's ME updater but didn't work as system does not meet all conditions [blank ME I guess]
                      All these are new to me but will try them before messing with SB again.

Comment

Originally posted by rookieme View Post
                        Thank you for the new tools and bios.
                        So far I have used an external programmer and the update bios opion from bios menu.
                        I have already tried the MSI's ME updater but didn't work as system does not meet all conditions [blank ME I guess]
                        All these are new to me but will try them before messing with SB again.
                        Do you have the ME driver installed . https://download.msi.com/nb_drivers/...1.0.5.1189.zip

Comment

Update:
                          I tried command -greset but I guess it's the same with removing all power sources for 1 minute as I had already done.

after I tried the flash bios with command FPTW64 -f outimage.bin and got the error
                          Error 368: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space.
                          FPT Operation Failed.

so I used an external programmer and done it, me region still remains blank

also tried to install the ME driver from the last link you sent but also got error:

Win32 exception occurred!!
                          Error code: 0x4E24 (20004)
                          Error text: ''
                          Extended error text: 'Error in device matching'

Comment

Do you have the full laptop model number,motherboard part number, PCH original and replacement part numbers

Comment

sure
                              the model is GL72 6QF, MS-16J51 the motherboard and the PCH SR2C4 as the original one.
                              I'm thinking what piernov mentioned that it could be bad solder issue...

Comment

sure
                                the model is GL72 6QF, MS-16J51 the motherboard and the PCH SR2C4 as the original one.
                                I'm thinking what piernov mentioned that it could be bad solder issue...
                                It could be a bad solder issue. Can you try one more thing please, run MeInfo from a dos bootable drive using the command MEInfo.exe -verbose .If the dos version doesn`t work then try the win64 and UEFI versions.
                                Attach a copy of the end of the report.
                                Attached Files

Comment

I used the win version in order to copy the error, dos version gives save error.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I used the win version in order to copy the error, dos version gives save error.
                                    The errors are interesting,and after a bit of googling what all those errors mean i`m none the wiser. What bios chip part number do you currently have on the board ? ,can you try,or have you tried a different one.The only other thing i can suggest is trying an older bios version and if that doesn`t work reball or replace the PCH.
                                    https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/nb/E1795IMS.107.zip

Comment

old chip 25B6464CSIG, new QH64AHIG with 107 bios version same results
                                      next update will be after reballing with leaded balls

Comment

so I replaced the SB as I had one more but it does the very same thing
                                        I had enough of this one so it's time to let it go unrepaired

I want to thank everyone of you for your time and effort to help me repair and learn

Comment

Working...
                                        X