MPG X570 Gaming Edge - does not power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPG X570 Gaming Edge - does not power on

Hi guys I am trying to fix this motherboard.

Basically it does not power on. I have 3.3V on the ATX start switch, but pressing it, nothing happens. The Green wire on the ATX PSU connector has 5V but it does not go to 0V so the PSU won't start.

If I force start the PSU, then the red CPU LED illuminates on the motherboard and the fans start but nothing else happens

If I leave it running like that for a minute, the CPU is still cold so probably there is no Vcore (though I didn't actually measure it)

The IO controller chip is NCT6797D but I couldn't find a datasheet, though they do seem availabe to buy

The manual says CPU led on = CPU not fitted or not running, but to be honest it doesn't even try to start the ATX PSU let alone the CPU

I don't have any RAM fitted at the moment as I used my DDR 4 dimms for a build so I have to get a couple more for the test bench, but that can't be causing the problem.

The CPU I am using is a A6-9500 and this does appear to be compatible with these motherboards, though it took a bit of looking to find that out - most sites just list Ryzen CPUs for this board.

To be honest I don't think I actually tried to fix any AMD boards before. Any suggestions where to start diagnosing this one?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dicky96; 01-25-2021, 12:39 PM.
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Re: MPG X570 Gaming Edge - does not power on

Is it out of warranty already?

X570 is not supposed to support Bristol Ridge, and of course MSI website doesn't list the A6-9500 as compatible with this board.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I got this spares or repair so I guess I couldn't call it in for warranty?.

So... if the CPU was not compatible would that expalin the fact it will not even turn the PSU on?

If so then I guess I just have to find the cheapest CPU to test this board. Which one would that most likely be?
      Last edited by dicky96; 01-25-2021, 04:42 PM.
      Follow me on YouTube
      ------------------
      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

It seems I might have found the problem

I was looking at another motherboard (Gigabyte X570 Gaming X )that came with this batch and it has a broken CPU socket

1 then had a closer look at this one, and it also has a problem withthe CPU cocket - it does not sit flat at the end where the metal lever goes into the socket.

I'll attach some pics - the first two are the MPG X570 Gaming Edge
        Attached Files
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

And these pics are the Gigabyte X570 Gaming X. There are a few slightly bent pins in the socket, but I looked on my microscope and they don't look too bad

If I clip the top back on the CPU socket, I can fit my CPU and by pressing down firmly on both the CPU and the socket top, I can get it to latch into he closed position and it holds the CPU firmly.

Unfortunately both of these boards don't support my A6-9500 so I can't test it. I had al ook around for suitable second hand AMD processors and the Ryzen 3 2200G is fairly common second hand and not too expensive, so that seems the best bet I think. Both these boards take that CPU.

Looking around on the net it seems this is a fairly common problem, but most if not all the replies on sites (reddit, tomshardware etc) say it can't be repaired, you need to replace the motherboard. I'm wondering if this is correct, or if people here know better?

Anyway, pics.....
          Attached Files
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

There`s some AM4 CPU sockets on aliexpress.
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Yeah I know mate - I have some of them here

I'm just wondering if anyone had any luck repairing the original socket by taking the top part off a new socket and fitting that to it? To save desoldering the socket from the board.

I could try replacing the sockets but last year when I tried this on several LGA 1155 motherboards I had absolutely no luck (or have no skill) whatsoever.

I don't have so much of a problem setting the profile to remove the broken sockets cleanly, but I have never been able to solder the replacement, either using the same profile or a hotter one. The new sockets feel like they mounted OK but using a DMM just checking power and ground pins I can see they are not soldered properly, and if I desolder them again I can see 50%-70% of the balls never melted. This is a skill I really need to master - on another thread
              Attached Files
              Follow me on YouTube
              ------------------
              Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Seeing as it seems no one else here has experience - I tried it.

I have two of these AM4 motherboards with broken sockets so I decided to see if I could fix them by taking the top covers off new sockets and fitting to the faulty ones.

The verdict is 50/50 so far

One of them, I fixed the broken socket no problem using the top of another one. But the other, three of the little tabs on the base part of the socket are broken off, so I can't get a new top to fit securely. If I could I am fairly confident it would work. Any suggestions?

Next I think I will order a compatible CPU, test the one I 'fixed' to see f it is OK now, and try to test the other one with the top of the socket missing. I read on the net this is possible as the cooler will hold the CPU in place. If it works without the socket top then I guess the next step is to replace the CPU socket, though TBH I never had any luck doing this so far.

It will take me a couple weeks or so to get a Ryzen CPU here to continue with this.

Rich
                Last edited by dicky96; 01-27-2021, 05:00 PM.
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Fixing these, look easier than fixing a screwed up LGA socket!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
                    Looking around on the net it seems this is a fairly common problem, but most if not all the replies on sites (reddit, tomshardware etc) say it can't be repaired, you need to replace the motherboard. I'm wondering if this is correct, or if people here know better?
                    To be honest, I'm not quite sure either.

I recently bought a socket AM3+ board with a damaged socket like this - top part completely lifted off, though no bent pins in the socket and I can get a CPU to latch in there just fine.

I asked the seller on eBay who I got the board from (who also happens to be the original owner), and he said the board didn't work after he pulled out the CPU and damaged the socket. He then proceeded to remove his custom water cooling blocks from the chipsets, which appears to have damaged several traces between CPU and Northbridge. I found and repaired all traces there, so I'm sure that part is fine. However, the board still didn't work.

Thus, I suspect when socket damage like that occurs, the force it exerts on the socket perhaps breaks the BGA? And if that's the case, then a new socket probably would be needed?

On my board, I know I tested with a known supported CPU right from first stock BIOS release. So the fact that the mobo didn't work tells me CPU BGA may indeed be the issue... and perhaps what may be yours too. But I suppose we will see when your compatible CPU arrives.

Also, another thing that kind of "throws a wrench" into things about my mobo is that the Northbridge has slightly chipped corners (likely from the custom water cooler from the original owner.) So I don't know if that's what's stopping mine from working too, or if it's indeed the BGA, as I am suspecting currently.

Any any case, keep us posted with your progress. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this with some collaboration. I was going to make a thread about my mobo, but just haven't gotten down to take pictures and do it. Maybe I'll try to do that sometime this week.

Comment

Will do Momaka - there are some clever guys on here and many heads are better than one, so it would be nice to get to the bottom of this problem.

best regards
                      Follow me on YouTube
                      ------------------
                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

OK I got a Ryzen 3 2200G CPU cheap on ebay auction. It has a couple broken pins on one corner but A: The guys selling it says it does still boot to windows and B: I checked the pin map for this CPU and they are not important ones that broke so I would expect he is telling the truth.

I know I could fix the pins but if it serves my purpose of testing motherboards then why bother - and it was cheap enough compared to a new one. So now I just have to wait a couple weeks while the post meanders all the way here.

Once it arrives we can proceed
                        Follow me on YouTube
                        ------------------
                        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
                          OK I got a Ryzen 3 2200G CPU cheap on ebay auction. It has a couple broken pins on one corner but A: The guys selling it says it does still boot to windows and B: I checked the pin map for this CPU and they are not important ones that broke so I would expect he is telling the truth.
                          Yeah, if it's just power ground or Vcc, no big deal. If it's a memory signal, you might loose a memory slot or two.

In any case, it boggles my mind how people break those pins. I've bought pinned CPUs from eBay electronics recyclers before with lots of bent pins (due to CPU being tossed, literally, into a big basket with other CPUs) and was able to straighten the pins without breaking any. So for a pin to break, it actually takes a lot of bending and/or hard force.

Anyways, as long as the CPU works, like you said, no big deal. Curious to see what results you get.

Comment

It has one Vss pin broken and the other is AZ_BITCLK which according to documentation is clock for Azalea Audio - so I am not surprised it boots into windows. It will be good enough for mobo testing purposes. And with the €60 I saved I can buy other things I need
                            Follow me on YouTube
                            ------------------
                            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

OK my CPU turned up so I am back onto this little project

I have two X570 motherboards here:
                              MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
                              Gigabyte X570 gaming X

Both have the same fault, will not power on when ATX PS_ON pressed - no fans no nothing

Both had problems with the CPU socket - I fixed the MSI by using the top half of a new socket. The Gigabyte has some bent pins, which look like they should connect OK under the microscope and the little plastic clips that hold the top of the CPU socket in place are broken - so the new top would not hold in place ,but by pressing down on the socket while fitting a CPU I can get it to fit.

So - I tried my Ryzen 3 2200G in the MSI, and it made no difference, it will not start. If you force the ATX PSU to start, the CPU LED lights red.

I have 5V STB from the ATX PSU and 3.3V on the PS_ON switch, but when pressed it does not signal the PSU to turn on.

I had a think about this, and from what I learned recently trying to fix Intel boards I figured that the SIO and PCH both need some stand by power for the board to start.

I can't find datasheets for either so part, so I had look around the capacitors near the NCT6797D-M SIO and found 3.3V and 1.8V present in that area. I then took the heatsink off the PCH (100-CG3091) and had a look a the voltages on the integral capacitors

What I found was interesting - some capacitors had 0.32V, some others had 0.7V, and the rest had nothing. I thought that was a bit odd so I had a look at the Gigabyte

When I tried this board with a A6-9500 CPU it would not start, but as was mentioned here that CPU is not supported by X570, so I carefully fitted the Ryzen 3, pressing down the back edge of the CPU socket, and I got it to fit. The board now powers up though I have no DDR4 RAM here. I don't get any beeps either so I am not sure if it really is working but at least it powers on. I can 'borrow' a couple of DIMMS from my gaming rig tomorrow and test it

Anyway this one has a different SIO (IT8688E which also I can't find a datasheet) but it has the same PCH 100-CG3091) so had a look at the voltages present on the integral capacitors before the board starts - and I found 1.016V and 1.8V where the MSI has 0.32V and 0.7V. I also checked the resistance from the capacitors to ground on both PCH and found very similar 55R3/54R7 on the 1.016V/0.32V caps and 1K15/1K73 on the 1.8V/0.7V caps.

So all that looks good. I then had a quick look in the area of the PCH and found the 0.7V is coming from a small buck regulator, and it looks like the 0.3V is derived from the 0.7V by a LDO or similar. However I can't find the datasheets for the possible LDO (marked 7713 VSUW) or the Buck regulator, which I think is the HBK 676 chip

It also looks like the buck regulator has 5V going in to it so I reckon if I can figure out why the buck regulator only gives 0.7V instead of 1.8V, the derived 0.3V rail should fix itself as well and with a bit of luck this board will then work, A datasheet for the buck regulator should help a lot - can anyone identify that component?

Please see the attached pics as it explains all this better than me waffling on about it lol

Cheers
                              Rich
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by dicky96; 02-24-2021, 09:43 AM.
                              Follow me on YouTube
                              ------------------
                              Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Mps mp2329cgg

Comment

Thanks piernov that's very useful. How did you find it? googling for HBK or HBK696 datasheets didn't help me

It looks like it uses a resistor network to set the output voltage, so I will check that first

Cheers
                                  Follow me on YouTube
                                  ------------------
                                  Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

It's MPS type markings: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...85&postcount=3
                                    so marking code is "HB" and we suppose it's a buck controller, so just a matter of typing `mps "HB" buck` in Google.

Comment

OK I had a look

Vin has 5V

EN pin 11 is connected via 78K to Vin and 24K to GND and has 3.3V. This voltage ddoes not make sense from the resistor divider values, but they are measured in circuit so could be reading wrong, and 3V3 on EN makes sense from the datasheet description.

FB pin 10 is connected via 770R to Vout and 447R to Gnd. It has 0.25V. This is close to the calculated voltage of 0.23V for that resistor network with Vout of 0.7V

Vcc - pin 8 - this reads 1.7V but if I understand the datasheet correctly, and I think I do, this is an internally generated Vref and should be 3.3V. It connects to ground via a capacitor but the DC resistance to ground is 2M0 so it does not look like a leaky capacitor.

As Vref is only 1V7 instead of 3V3, it is around 50% of the correct voltage and Vout is a bit under 50% of the correct voltage so that kinda seems logical as I think a low Vref would cause the PWM to drive narrower pulses (lower duty cycle)?

The capacitor from Vref to Ground is reading 670nF in circuit with the black lead of my capacitance meter to the ground end, but the datasheet says this VCC powers the driver and control circuits, and states: 'Internal 3V3 VCC LDO output. Decouple VCC with a minimum 1μF ceramic capacitor as close to VCC as possible. X7R or X5R grade dielectric ceramic capacitors are recommended'

Which makes it sound like maybe this capacitor is critical to correct operation?

To me, I either have a faulty mp2329cgg or I have a faulty Vref capacitor (and the correct type and value is possibly critical)

See attached pic - it explains better

Do you guys agree? And I wonder where I can find some capacitor expert?
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by dicky96; 02-25-2021, 08:02 AM.
                                      Follow me on YouTube
                                      ------------------
                                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Sounds right yes.
                                        Should be easy to take care of the capacitor first.
                                        Capacitance measurement in circuit is never reliable but you can still try replacing the capacitor. Then if nothing changes replace the buck converter IC.

Any MLCC of 1uF or slightly higher you can find on a donor board and that can fit should do the job. It's for a 3.3V output (actually 3.65V according to the characteristics table) so even a 4V rated one would work (although it doesn't leave a lot of headroom).
                                        Most stuff you'll find will be 6.3V or higher except on CPU VCore for some boards. And most of them should have good enough temperature ratings (you shouldn't encounter Y5V).

Comment

Working...
                                        X