• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most popular OS 1999-2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o14-gCNRwR8
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: Most popular OS 1999-2022

I didn't watch the video....but based on experience & observation I'd say XP would be the winner.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      I didn't watch the video....but based on experience & observation I'd say XP would be the winner.
      It's a video of all the OS's month by month
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I'd say that it's a tossup between XP and 7.
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          It's a video of all the OS's month by month
          I watched the video this morning with my coffee, I didn't have time last night when originally posted...so I guessed. I wasn't wrong.... Not sure where this data comes from, but the evolution broken down in time like that was pretty good.
          Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
          I'd say that it's a tossup between XP and 7.
          I was right about XP for duration and market share according to the video....but the video takes into account all OS's to include MacOS (laughable) and Android, which ended up on top in the end, but never achieved the marketshare high that XP did (yet anyway, time will change that)....but if you watch it, XP has the highest marketshare and longest run holding marketshare. 7 was a good one, but by the time 7 came out, Android was edging in and the 'micro device' takeover had begun.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I don't count mobile OSes in marketshare figures against desktop OSes. Totally different device classes, so mobile and desktop OSes shouldn't be in the same set of figures IMO.

Personally, I think that while XP was one of the best, its usability has started to suffer a bit on modern hardware due to lack of drivers, etc. 7 can still enjoy plenty of use, but you're pretty much limited to FF as far as supported browsers go, and on older hardware, FF Quantum is a bit of a dog.

IMO, if you want good software support on older hardware, *nix is your best choice. I'm dailying a Latitude E6520 with Debian Testing, and my 4th gen i7 workstation at home is still getting along quite nicely, though I've got the board maxed out in pretty much all aspects, so the next big step is either an X99 coreswap or a full Ryzen rebuild.
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I don't count mobile OSes in marketshare figures against desktop OSes. Totally different device classes, so mobile and desktop OSes shouldn't be in the same set of figures IMO.
              Actually they should. The video is accurate. The mobile device is replacing the PC as we know it and thus a valid statistic in this comparison.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Personally, I think that while XP was one of the best, its usability has started to suffer a bit on modern hardware due to lack of drivers, etc.
                Not even just drivers, with XP being a 32bit (at least primarily, I realize 64-bit XP existed, but it was never well supported) single-threaded OS, by the end of support (April 8, 2014, it had a long run) it was definitely getting "long in the tooth" with 64-bit multi-core CPUs being pretty standard by then and RAM (4GB including video RAM so often only 3GB with a dedicated GPU) and HDDs (2TB) that exceeded the limits XP could use were also becoming fairly common.

Comment

I haven't watched the video (yet), but I too guessed XP as soon as I read the title of this thread.

Reason being: XP came out in the early 2000's, when mobile devices (and their OSes) were practically non-existent. It wasn't until about 2007-2008 when the first iPhone came out that people started replacing their PCs entirely with "smart" phones. Before that, there were only the Blackberries that were considered somewhat of a "smart" phone. While they were nice for what they did, they were usually just a mobile "gadget" given to people with office jobs as an additional / supplement device to their office PCs (most of which were still running XP, even well past the introduction of Vista.)

Actually they should. The video is accurate. The mobile device is replacing the PC as we know it and thus a valid statistic in this comparison.
                  Indeed.

Personally, I think that while XP was one of the best, its usability has started to suffer a bit on modern hardware due to lack of drivers, etc.
                  It's not that bad. XP will easily stretch out to about 2014-2015 hardware (2nd to 4th gen i-series Intel CPUs), most of which is plenty useful even today.
                  It's really just down to browser support.
                  I still haven't tested how the new Quantum-based Mypal browser works on XP. But if it works just as well as FF Quantum, that should bring many more years of usability to any XP fleet.

FF Quantum is a bit of a dog.
                  Only on old, slow HDDs, IME.
                  I'm running FF Quantum on several old dual-core PCs, and only the ones with older IDE or mid-late-2000's HDDs seem to suffer. The ones with late 250 GB WD Blues (or equivalently-fast drives) tend to load pretty quickly... and once loaded, I hardly get any performance issues.

So for the PCs with slower HDDs, I usually also run Pale Moon (if running Win7) or Pale Moon -based Mypal (if running XP.)

Comment

Working...
                  X