Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS5 no 12v Power rail

Hey guys

So I've got a ps5 EDM01 here that has no power on the 12v rail. I've noticed that on the back of the board by the power connector, I've got two components missing. Is anyone able to tell me what they are? My ESR meter is showing the other two as around 4pF and I assume they're just ceramic capacitors?

Cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-26-2023, 11:07 AM.

Re: PS5 no 12v Power rail

Yes, these are shunt, ceramic capacitors between "+12v" and GND. Everything will work without them.

Comment

Ok thanks. I guess I need to look at the MOSFETS and caps just above them then. Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting in this area? I suspect given the putty placement if I introduce heat I'm going to lose some components here.

Comment

Ok, another few questions since I'm still a total noob (I appreciate not being roasted for these questions, I purchased this board from a friend to learn on).

First is anyone able to give me diode mode readings for this? And also tell me what it is supposed to be doing. BQZA0 chip. There's another one down by F3501 that reads differently.

Next, in diode mode, I get these readings. Are these voltage regulator IC's or MOSFETs or something else? (yellow dots are where I had black lead, red dot red lead, diode mode) Either way the top one in F5401 feels off. This is also the only area on the 12v rail where I see the correct voltage supplied by the benchtop power.

Please educate me. I'm willing to read/learn whatever is required but, would also appreciate ELI5 answers to get me started.

Thanks heaps
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-26-2023, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Join Gaming console repair legion on facebook for another source of useful info.

Comment

Will do, cheers mate.

Comment

Update on this for anyone that finds it useful in the future.

I got my thermal camera today and found the cause of the 12v rail's no power. It was this here. I am now looking for a replacement chip (EDM010 board chip numbers 38168 0A062C). I am also looking for replacement fuses F7501 and F7001. Anyone know where I can source them?

Attached Files

Comment

38168 - aonx38168
                Attached Files

Comment

awesome, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                    38168 - aonx38168
                    You wouldn't happen to know anything about this one as well by any chance? Looking for a replacement.

Attached Files

Comment

Just for record-keeping for others.

Replacing the aonx38168 gave me back 12v power. I then found the TPS53219ARGTT Synchronous Buck Controller TI 3219A 5v Regulator was heating up so I replaced that as well.

At this point, I got 5v and 3.3v in f7002 however, on the reverse side of the board the SBV IC was getting warm and not outputting 1.8v (I believe it's 1.8v). The SBV IC in f7002 and on the opposite side of the board are the same chip, however F7002 was showing all voltages correctly, the opposite side of the board was not (and it was getting warm as mentioned above). The IC is TLV62090RGTT (SBV IC) Switching Voltage Regulator Step Down Converter.

Despite this, my next move, on the advice of others, was to replace the southbridge as it could have been problematic, doing that however didn't change anything at this stage. My first attempt involved reballing the southbridge by hand, I only had 0.55mm balls available but after doing two rows manually I could tell they won't work. You'll need 0.45mm or 0.50mm at the largest. I had a stencil and some solder paste so managed to get it done that way.

Despite replacing the SB, the SBV IC on Southbridge side was still warming up.

Now since I didn't have another SBV IC on hand I decided to swap it with the one in f7002 (since they are the same chip) to see if the heat followed the chip or if it was the southbridge causing the heat at that particular point on the board. The heat did follow the chip and now I'm waiting on a new SBV IC for f7002.

And that's where I'm at currently
                      Last edited by Rambonz; 04-23-2023, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Hello. Curious if you got this unit working… I came across one with 12v rail shorted. Found the 38168 ic shorted. Replaced it. Have all of the voltage rails present but only beeps and the fan spins for a little while but no blue light. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X