Deadish AMW MW19E-BCD display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadish AMW MW19E-BCD display

So I was 'gifted' a deadish AMW display from work. After examining it, all the caps look like they're in decent shape. No leakage or bulging. It powers on and it will show a clean display momentarily as in about 2 seconds. Then the displays blanks out. If I use the power button, power it off and power it back on immediately, it will show a clean display again for about 2 seconds again and then 'die'. (Clean display meaning an actual display of a Windows desktop).

I'm wondering if the backlight is bad. A quick look at Digi-Key shows some universal backlight replacement pieces and I wonder if anyone here has some experience with them and how it went.

EDIT: I saw the pinned post about 2 secs to black and am going through them. I just figured I'd cut to the chase in the meantime about the backlights.

Also: pix comin

EDIT 2 : for some reason, I can't get pix up even after I've resized them...
    Last edited by badcap400; 04-25-2023, 12:50 PM.

Re: Deadish AMW MW19E-BCD display

Originally posted by badcap400 View Post
    So I was 'gifted' a deadish AMW display from work. After examining it, all the caps look like they're in decent shape. No leakage or bulging. It powers on and it will show a clean display momentarily as in about 2 seconds. Then the displays blanks out. If I use the power button, power it off and power it back on immediately, it will show a clean display again for about 2 seconds again and then 'die'. (Clean display meaning an actual display of a Windows desktop).

I'm wondering if the backlight is bad. A quick look at Digi-Key shows some universal backlight replacement pieces and I wonder if anyone here has some experience with them and how it went.

EDIT: I saw the pinned post about 2 secs to black and am going through them. I just figured I'd cut to the chase in the meantime about the backlights.
    Hi badcap400.

Yes, it does sound like the issue you're having is likely with the backlights.
    I did a model lookup on your monitor, and it appears to be an older CCFL-based one and not LED. As such, the issue could be with either one (or more) of the CCFLs being bad or the inverter transformer itself being bad.

If you have another working CCFL-based monitor with a similar size, you might be able to use that to see if the inverter from this monitor can drive the CCFLs on that monitor and vice-versa. That might be the most sure way to confirm where the issue is (i.e. bad CCFLs or bad inverter.)

If you don't have another working CCFL monitor, then there are several things you can try with this one.

1) disconnect 3 out of 4 CCFLs and see if the screen would faintly flash with only 1 CCFL connected. Do this to test all 4 CCFLs individually. If/when you find the screen doesn't light up at all with one of the CCFLs, then that CCFL might be bad. Just to confirm then, connect the "bad" CCFL to a different connector on the inverter to see if you can repeat the failure. Otherwise, it might be a component (one of the HV caps) on the inverter that is bad.

2) With monitor powered off and disconnected from the wall, measure the resistance on the output pins of the inverter transformer (the high-voltage output side.) The resistances should be very similar to each other (typically in the 1 KOhm to several KOhm range)... more or less within a few % of each other.

3) Use a household CFL or two (or more?) in place of one (or more) of the CCFLs in the monitor to test which one (if any) of the monitor's CCFLs might be bad. More info here:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19987

4) Depending on the inverter design and its monitoring IC, you might be able to temporarily disable protection of the inverter for either the upper or lower set of CCFLs and then disconnect that set of CCFLs. If done right, the monitor can work with either only the upper or lower set of CCFLs. For assistance with this, we will need some good quality pictures of the PSU board and part number for the inverter IC.

Originally posted by badcap400 View Post
    EDIT 2 : for some reason, I can't get pix up even after I've resized them...
    Are they jpg or jpeg format?
    File size limit for these is 4.77 MB, but jpeg pixel size is 2000 x 2000 only (while for jpg, it's 3000 x 3000). So check which type it is.

Also, just to make sure you're doing this properly:
    1) Click on "Manage Attachments" at the end of your post (when viewing a thread, click on "Post Reply" to go to the full post editor.)
    2) Browse... for the file(s) you want to upload (1 file per line).
    3) Click on the "Upload" button on the lower-right to upload all of the files you have selected.

Comment

Working...
    X