Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed diagnosing and repairing a PC engine LT, currently looking at oscillator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed diagnosing and repairing a PC engine LT, currently looking at oscillator

Hello all. I'm currently trying to repair a damaged PC engine LT (a portable games console circa 1991)I got a few years ago. The thing had 10+ lifted pads and three lifted traces from corrosion from bad caps when I got it, and the first step was to clean it and repair the traces and pads as best I could using some copper and a high temperature two part epoxy, then replace the capacitors. Of course it would be amazing if that had fixed the console, but things are never so simple. I've double checked the capacitors, and I'm (90%) confident that they have connectivity where they need to have connectivity, but we still have no video out and no sound. I've checked the voltage and ground to the CPU and graphics chips, and both are correct. I've also checked the connectivity from the chip to the external bus, which, while not linked to the screen, is nearby and traverses the motherboard from the chip. There's also a fairly good 1-1 correspondence from the GPU pins to the pinout of the bus.

The next thing I attempted to measure was the oscillator, and here the issue is the frequency is not what I was expecting. I'd expect to see the pattern at 50ns, but instead I'm seeing it at 5ms. The oscillator should provide a 3.579545 MHz clock signal (NTSC video).

I'm a complete newbie having never used an oscilloscope before, so it may be that I'm doing something wrong, but the signal is well defined at that range, so it looks like there's an issue. How would I go about diagnosing the issue from here?

Re: Help needed diagnosing and repairing a PC engine LT, currently looking at oscilla

I don't know how any arbitrary DSO deals with aliasing but any range that's slower than the oscillation pattern you'll still see *something* on the screen. Whether or not it's useful is the question.

A colorburst crystal will produce a waveform with period about 280ns. At 50ns/division yes you should see almost two full waveforms over the typical 10-division screen.

However this usually is a something or nothing deal, crystal oscillators are designed to oscillate at one harmonic and no others, and it's usually the first harmonic.

So likely what you're seeing is, like anything else at 5ms, is power line noise pervasive among everything. Power has a periodicity of 20ms in the UK which will easily show up at 5ms/division.

Most likely you probably have a dead ground on your scope probe.
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 04-27-2023, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Re: Help needed diagnosing and repairing a PC engine LT, currently looking at oscilla

most multimeters will read that frequency range

Comment

Working...
      X